Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Is it morally correct to have your own children?

:L

1 - 10 of 60 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
1 29 Feb 2012
This is something I've been thinking about. I suppose the topic came from thinking about how it is morally wrong to breed or support the breeding of animals when there are already so many animals who need homes: and so I applied it to humans.

It's fact that there is an overpopulation issue when it comes to humans, so why is it morally correct to contribute to the overpopulation issue by having children when there are so many children without families and parents?

As birth rates climb, natural resources get used up faster than they can be replaced, creating enormous economic pressures at home while the standard of living plummets throughout the rest of the world. As the result of having so many people who do not understand our reality and its behavioral demands, we have created an interrelated web of global environmental problems. We are depleting our natural resources: our forests, fisheries, range lands, croplands, and plant and animal species. We are destroying the biological diversity on which evolution thrives. With powerful new electrical and diesel pumping techniques, we are draining our aquifers and lowering our water tables. We are systemically polluting our air, water, and soil, and consequently our food chain. We are depleting the stratospheric ozone that shields us from harmful ultraviolet radiation. And, we are experiencing symptoms of global warming: heat waves, devastating droughts, dying forests, accelerated species extinction, dying coral reefs, melting glaciers, rising sea levels, more frequent and intense storms, and a more rapid spread of diseases.

In my mind: it seems unjust to produce children instead of taking in a child with no home, and the decision to do so seems almost like a selfish decision based on one (or twos) own personal desires to reproduce just for the sake of having their own biological child. Of course humans and animals are biologically designed to want to reproduce but we are aware of the issue of global overpopulation: the destruction it causes for the other forms of life on the planet, etc.

I am not trying to cause an argument, just trying to understand. And in no way am I calling anyone with a baby selfish. This is just how the idea has formed in my own mind. And despite my idea that it is perhaps a reckless thing to do, my own desire to one day have children isn't gone.

Opinions? ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
2 29 Feb 2012
Well i think people should adopt, because there are too many people on this planet already and their so many kids without homes. Adoption though needs to be a lot easier and cheaper though, so everyone can do it.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
3 29 Feb 2012
I agree that we should apply our way of thinking when it comes to animal adoption, to also adopting human children.
There are many children in need of homes, and the Earth is beginning to struggle to support the human population currently at 7 billion.
I personally have no desire to have children, but if my mind suddenly changed then I would definitely choose adoption.
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
4 29 Feb 2012
Improve the living standards of impoverished and developing countries to meet middle class western-based societies, and you might find the average number of children per family fall?
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
5 29 Feb 2012
This is why I'm not having children.  I don't want to contribute to the unnecessary breeding that causes overpopulation.  I think it's better to adopt than to procreate.  If I ever had the desire to have children (heaven forbid - I'm not a fan of little humans; I MUCH prefer the animal kind), I would go the adoption route.

My only wish is that Australia made it easier to adopt from other countries - it's unnecessaryily difficult & expensive atm.
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
6 29 Feb 2012
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
7 29 Feb 2012
must (not law enforced) adopt a child for each after their own 1st child

9 children isn't many in some countries... only having 1-4 is looked down upon :S
that must be resolved before the people benefiting from the ability to breed healthy off spring stop having their own ? . ?
ReplyQuote

lyds lyds NSW Posts: 300
8 29 Feb 2012
i've always thought about this,
as much as i would love to have a child of my own i don't think it would be fair not to adopt one also just to save myself the hassle of trying to break the news to them when i felt they were ready or the fact that they could neglect you in every way possible if they were already older children and refused to be in any kind of contact with you/hate being with you because "your not their real mum/dad". I've talked to my boyfriend about this numerous times saying that i want to adopt a child. It's something close to my heart because my ex boyfriend was adopted because his mum left when he was a baby and his father was in the military and felt it was best for him to be in an orphanage as she wasn't in the right state of mind (she was alcoholic) to look after a child without the help of her husband. Idk i feel like bringing in another child purley because of selfish reasons of not wanting to deal with the baggage that comes with adopting is cruel because why bring another child in when there is plenty of children without homes that love them
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
9 29 Feb 2012
you don't think they would be thankful? or can't you imagine the home and love you'd give them?
i'm not sure why a dramatization should hold anyone back...

if it is close to your heart, then put yourself.. make your life in a way where you can live it out exactly how you would want it to be...

also.. why not adopt and if you feel loved bring another into the world?

it is really personal. and really circumstance based...

I feel making sex LESSSSSSS circumstance and MORE personal.... would solve there being children up for adoption. So if anything, people who feel strongly about this... should be dearly committed with someone, or at least have a perfectly functioning mutual respect and understanding with someone of having their child with them... but not being together later..?

Just evade whimsical circumstances and be more steadfast with will.

Adopt then have your baby? In either order it will give you experience and it will create an unusual dynamic? The future judged by the present will be perverse... strange... anomalies will thrive... like unique specimens. Odd families breed unusual qualities and this is reveled upon.. even if they are negative emotions, it generally leads to art, which is well respected... in absence of all art being religious propaganda, there is a room in the forest for art of uncertain feelings and circumstance blooming.

Also... don't live like one of those 'raise your baby' puke books... don't assume there will be a problem... if you child one day asks "why am I adopted, but my sibling is your blood"... just be open.. tell the truth... because that is how it happened... our love is undiscerning.. we love you for who you are... how we have grown with you to both be, not discrepancies of blood... not by DNA but because of love alone. Also it is endless... and needless to tell them.. some DNA families are shitbags... and some run into problems because they are TOO alike.. and generally find fault in their sibling, for all the times they havn't been able to lay another fault or blame on themselves without collapse.

So...

There is rhetoric and sensationalist exaggeration for or against anything, so don't be... just make it happen, with diligence and patient understanding in mind.

This sounds over the top.. but I think necessary to counter fear of an instance of a hysteric sense.

You are running from this idealized family projection... if to fear a difference...
don't teach your child this 'ideal/perfect' family model by your fear... and they won't know it to be jealous of another family... they won't need to know how flawed that perfect image is when practiced (in this world), to get over being different.. just raise them.... why question what the world thinks of it... the world is a messed up place... where people wear standards, ideals and ethos to gain trust merely for exploitation... if you studied advertising you may realize (if keeping to your own).. in some factions of the world.. morals don't exist.. only as devices and mechanisms...

Who is going to judge you... but those living the sickness and living the (depicted/caused/afflicted) reality (a mere mind frame cage enforced by prejudice and spite causing this to echo through the aeffected to all be inflicted by each other); who needs to put that facade of judgement on, but those who feel they must disguise those things in themselves... confide it.. hide it... making it the most potent part of who they are...

And for those of religion... I add in... for your sake in this... if God sees all within you and nothing can be hidden... and when this consoles any fear... that the truth is known... then taking judgement upon yourself, is your creation of fear and is your disguise from feeling unworthy of that love... of feeling unworthy of being looked within.

~ those aren't my ideas, merely deductions from deductions from... s2~
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
10 1 Mar 2012
I'm guessing none of you have ever looked into adoption, have you? It's not as simple as "Oh I'll take that child and love it, clothe it and home it.". Local adoption is a 3-7yr process. International is a $10k-25k cost + 2-5yr process, and Australia only has agreements in place with certain countries and all of them require a letter from your priest/pastor for your recommendation plus lots of rules on age, relationship status, existing children, medical conditions (including simple things like sight!). If you want to adopt a child of certain nationality they prefer you are the same nationality. My partner and I looked into it. Went to the seminars, spoke to people in charge of it all.

As nice as it would be to give a loving home to a child in need, they need to make it a much easier process for it to become a reality.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au