Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Meat 'binges'

Tips for resisting.

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
1 3 Mar 2012
So I recently went back to being a vegetarian but in an impulsive action, I had a meal with chicken in it. I have Binge Eating Disorder/Bulimia Nervosa, which makes it hard for me to control my binging.

I just want to ask, when people first became vegetarian did you slip up or end up giving into meat a few times? And if people found it hard coming off meat, what things did you do to help stick to the vegetarian or vegan diet?
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
2 3 Mar 2012
When I first joined unleashed I came across a thread about controlling those meat cravings, I remember being so incredibly shocked. Ever since making the switch to go vegetarian and then again with veganism I never once felt any kind of urge to eat something I "couldn't". It was the very first thing I ever saw that showed me that other people had this problem. It really blew my mind. I get mad cravings all the time, but never for anything I'm opposed to. I do however feel bad for those that do. I'm sure there are many different factors to why a person would crave these things but thankfully it's never happened to me. I have slipped up in the sense that I have eaten things and later discovered that they weren't vegan or vegetarian. But then I just don't eat that again. I think that happens with everyone though. You can't possibly know ALL the facts straight away. I think we're all still learning.
ReplyQuote

JTurner JTurner QLD Posts: 12
3 3 Mar 2012
Yeah I found that the hardest thing to overcome was just habit. Actually having to think about what you are ordering for a change takes a little bit of self-training. The best thing I found was if you are cooking and eating really great healthy vege meals at home you are not really care for burgers or whatever. Everytime i see a McDonalds or something now it just disgusts me, all I can see are factory farms and slaughterhouses. My tastebuds have changed so much after 6 years of veganism, you just have to form a new lifestyle and set of habits and that will take time.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
4 3 Mar 2012
Kacey Michelle said:
So I recently went back to being a vegetarian but in an impulsive action, I had a meal with chicken in it. I have Binge Eating Disorder/Bulimia Nervosa, which makes it hard for me to control my binging.

I just want to ask, when people first became vegetarian did you slip up or end up giving into meat a few times? And if people found it hard coming off meat, what things did you do to help stick to the vegetarian or vegan diet?
Try to eat meals high in protein, that should help with binges in general. Maybe by feeling that you are 'craving meat' your body is just unsatiated and wants something hearty. Protein is filling, so you could eat some baked beans or mock meats (for example) for a quick fix, or:

Here's some low fat examples I just googled
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=58148  

And Unleashed also has a great, filling range of meals
http://www.unleashed.org.au/change_the_world/go_veg/vegan_recipes.php
ReplyQuote

Buddha Baby Buddha Baby QLD Posts: 28
5 3 Mar 2012
When I first went Vego I slipped up a couple of times. but I found that the longer I hadn't eaten meat the more it make me feel sick. Now just the smell of raw or cooked meat makes me feel ill. It takes time and dedication. Don't punish yourself if you slip up. Its human nature to make a mistake. your trying that is the main point. Be proud of the choice you have made.
ReplyQuote

6 5 Mar 2012
Thanks. You were all really helpful, and you helped me feel a lot LESS guilty!!! I plan on sticking this out forever. And hopefully I won't slip up again. D:
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
7 5 Mar 2012
Hi Kacey, the fact that you actually wrote about it on the forum is a sign that it bothered you, because you care about your vegetarian transition.  Now that you've realised I believe you'll be strong enough to not slip up again.

But as for advice:  make yourself hearty meals with heaps of yummy vegies.  I found the more vegies I ate the fuller I felt.  Also, to make your meals taste different, try lots of yummy different spice blends, even mix-up a few of your own if this goes with your cooking style.

Good luck and just know the animals and your body will thank-you for staying meat free  thumb
ReplyQuote

tonijosephine tonijosephine VIC Posts: 80
8 5 Mar 2012
It's good to see you being strong-minded Kacey happy

Like everyone has suggested the best thing you can do is ensure you're getting all the right nutrients - and eating properly so you're not left feeling hungry! Eating bread, cheese and potatoes (like some vegetarians I know) is not a balanced diet lol!!

If I were having the same issues, I'd just remind myself why I made the decision in the first place. Maybe watch a film about factory farming to re-enforce, just to yourself, how it is you truly feel about eating meat, the ethics behind it etc.

Going vegan, sometimes my mind would wonder and I'd think 'ohhh that cheese tastes so good..' but I know that it's just not worth it at all and goes against everything I believe in. After a while, with everything you pass up, it just gets easier and easier until you don't even think about it anymore - and the thought of eating cheese (in your case meat) just doesn't even enter your head!
ReplyQuote

9 6 Mar 2012
Thanks guys. I'm thinking of seeing a dietician (for more reasons than one) so hopefully she'll be able to help me get onto an eating pattern that ensures I'm not lacking anything (no cravings!!). But thank you for all of the advice :3
ReplyQuote

Shelley-Sea-Shells Shelley-Sea-Shells QLD Posts: 48
10 8 Mar 2012
First of all, good on you for seeking help with this. Although I know you wouldn't use your bulimia as an excuse to give in to cravings, but I do believe that is the core of the problem. No one has complete control over their diet with this illness. Seek help for this first, and everything else will become a lot easier. There are lots of websites with suggestions to fight bulimia, and you deserve to be rid of it for your health and happiness.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au