Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Coming out of the vegetable closet

How to bring up vegetarianism to...'tradition...father

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Lee96 Lee96 QLD Posts: 55
1 4 Mar 2012
Hey guys, whats up. After meeting a new guy last night, real chill, similar music tastes and political views. Both love the green. We were talking, and he asked me if I was a vego. I said no, but it got me realizing, why aren't I? I hate to see anything in pain (hell, if i find a green ant climbing up my leg, i'll take all care to get him of carefully I have a thing for insects).

So, the question is. How do you think I should tell my parents? They wouldn't condemn me for it, they'd probably jokingly take the miccy (My dad's like that) but they wouldn't be angry.

Also, qustion about drinks. Is Sprite down for vegetarians?

Cheers.
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
2 5 Mar 2012
I'd say just be blunt about it. If they aren't going to be mad about it, just let them know you're going to try vegetarianism. I'd look into some animal welfare, factory farming information and so on so if they fire away with questions, or say things like "but eating meat is natural" you can explain why it's a good idea or rebut their assumptions on vegetarianism.

Sprite is vegetarian. Everything is vegetarian as long as it contains no meat: beef, lamb, pork, chicken, seafood.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 5 Mar 2012
Not sure about the above comment. As a vegetarian there are many things that aren't vegetarian, you can't simply just avoid meat. I have a page on my site www.VeganTasmania.com called Ingredients where I have listed a huge huge list of animal derived ingredients.

Aside from the obvious you need to look out for Carmine colour number 120. Also if you're eating cheese you need to be aware of rennet, which is animal fat from the stomach. And of course you also need to avoid gelatine.

For a vegetarian other than those 3 ones that repeatedly show up you're pretty safe.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
4 5 Mar 2012
Oh by the way.. CONGRATULATIONS! Well done you!
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
5 5 Mar 2012
KirstyGirl said:
Not sure about the above comment. As a vegetarian there are many things that aren't vegetarian, you can't simply just avoid meat. I have a page on my site www.VeganTasmania.com called Ingredients where I have listed a huge huge list of animal derived ingredients.

Aside from the obvious you need to look out for Carmine colour number 120. Also if you're eating cheese you need to be aware of rennet, which is animal fat from the stomach. And of course you also need to avoid gelatine.

For a vegetarian other than those 3 ones that repeatedly show up you're pretty safe.
Agreed. Gelatine is made from animal bits like hooves and things so that is still directly related to the slaughter of an animal. Obiously dairy and that is also related but in a vegetarianism instance there is more than just meat you have to look for. Also, in things like red rock deli honey soy chicken chips it has chicken fat as an ingrediant so there are the clear avoidables like those, just gotta read the ingrediants really. happy

As for the breaking your decision to your parents, the first discussion is easy, it's the point when they realise this isn't just a phase that is a little more difficult. I have to cook all my own meals in order to be vego, so if your passionate, and willing to put in a bit of effort, there is nothing your parents really can do. peace awesome decision, good luck!
ReplyQuote

6 5 Mar 2012
KirstyGirl said:

Thanks man. I'll check your site.
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
7 6 Mar 2012
I don't eat meat however on occasion may eat gelatine products and such. I still classify myself vegetarian: but people always have a different view of what is and what isn't.
ReplyQuote

8 6 Mar 2012
Kacey Michelle said:
I don't eat meat however on occasion may eat gelatine products and such. I still classify myself vegetarian: but people always have a different view of what is and what isn't.
Yeah, some people don't like the idea of eating meat, and some wont touch any animal products. Different strokes for different folks.
ReplyQuote

AshleyJane AshleyJane QLD Posts: 17
9 29 Mar 2012
I told my parents i was Vegan after about two days of serious research on the diet and how to maintain health (and discovering this site).
I am fifteen so they automatically just started making jokes about it and my mum kept saying things like 'Shes gone vegan' like it rhymed with 'Shes started worshipping the devil'

but now i have sort of preached to them the reasons why i decided to go vegan (Not buying into the industry of cruelty and what actually happens to the animals) etc etc and they have finally accepted I am serious about it and stopped the jokes about it. My mum even said she was proud that i had actually taken the time to research what was happening to these animals and that i am doing something about it.

Basically ive been vegan for about 10 days give or take and i have had bucketloads of people giving me crap for it ever since and i dont care because i know what i am doing is right and they have obviously not researched where their food has come from before it was put on their plates.

x
Hope i helped in some way.
haha
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
10 29 Mar 2012
This may sound odd but;

Im still trying to understand why people care what their parents think? You are doing something which is not opinionated, but factually a good thing. There are no negatives to stopping animal suffering so who gives a sh** if your parents mind.

PS: Ashley you are smart.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au