Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I got an anonymous note....

Threatening to kill my cat.

11 - 20 of 23 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Homewrecker Homewrecker VIC Posts: 49
11 11 Mar 2012
Mean people wear fur said:
And how would you police that, though? How can you stop an animal from exploring when they don't know any better?

I'm not going to comment about the cats being unnecessary in great detail, but sometimes there is no other home for them. My feline friend was going to be sent to the pound. On another note, I've actually figured out a way to stop Toast (cat) from killing wilidife - I make sure she's in a certain time every night, because she only brings things in after a certain hour in at night. I do not recall anyone ever mentioning cats killing wildife so to be honest I'm not exactly sure why it's in this thread when the issue was an anonymous death threat.

On topic, if after talking to your neighbour you're still having issues, it might be a good idea to get the authorities involved. There's no need to resort to petty things like notes saying that they're going to kill your animal companion. If they had a problem they should have brought it up with you, not acted like immature brats. IMO, that's the real issue here.
To reiterate, I agree that sending a death threat is wrong. But letting your cat go into another person's yard is also wrong - a fact that hasn't been raised by anyone else in the thread. If you are going to complain, you should have clean hands i.e. not have committed a wrong yourself. Again, the guy is freaking psycho for threatening to staple it to the door, but stop letting the cat go in their yard and there would been no issue in the first place.

Even if no note was sent and the neighbour was to have a friendly discussion about it, the most reasonable outcome is likely to be the same - keep your cat in your own yard. Having your cat go over their is literally trespass to their property. Many states have laws that even allow you to trap cats that come into your yard and then you have to send them to the pound. Tell me which you would prefer - stopping your cat from going over there, or allowing someone who has threatened to staple it to your door to trap it?

As for the relevance of killing wildlife, it's definitely related to the fact of not supervising your cat. Not every cat is like Toast and there's plenty of stuff cats like Toast can kill during the day. Fact is you don't know what they are doing 24-7 if they're constantly outside.

As for how to police what your cat does and where it goes - well you could watch it or in some other way confine it to your yard. Either way that's for the owner to work out, not the concern of the person who doesn't own the cat.
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
12 11 Mar 2012
I just can't see a way around cats going in another person's yard besides having the cat inside all the time. They aren't like dogs; they'll jump over fences or climb things. It is a difficult situation to be in. On one hand, cats are doing what's natural to them. On the other, they're killing wildlife which is something I'm sure most, if not all, of us don't like. The only solution to killing that I can see and which has worked for me has been prevention - keeping her in at certain times, wearing her out with toys, etc. However, not everyone has the time to just sit down and play with their cat of an morning or afternoon. I see it as a problem which doesn't have an answer, really.
ReplyQuote

Homewrecker Homewrecker VIC Posts: 49
13 11 Mar 2012
Mean people wear fur said:
I just can't see a way around cats going in another person's yard besides having the cat inside all the time. They aren't like dogs; they'll jump over fences or climb things. It is a difficult situation to be in. On one hand, cats are doing what's natural to them. On the other, they're killing wildlife which is something I'm sure most, if not all, of us don't like. The only solution to killing that I can see and which has worked for me has been prevention - keeping her in at certain times, wearing her out with toys, etc. However, not everyone has the time to just sit down and play with their cat of an morning or afternoon. I see it as a problem which doesn't have an answer, really.
It does have an answer - find a way to keep your cat in your yard or expect it to be possibly impounded or be fined.

There's plenty of resources on it, I suggest you read up about it.

http://www.whosforcats.com.au/confiningcats/
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
14 11 Mar 2012
You just completely skipped over my entire post and focused on the last sentence. A large cat enclosure would be nice, but what about the rest of my yard? What about my dog? Where is she supposed to run around if the yard is taken up by an enclosure? And what if a cat doesn't like it's enclosure? "Too bad"? It seems wrong to me to confine anyone.

I have read up on things. And you know what? Some people don't have large amounts of money to spare and some things just don't suit people or their homes. Which brings me back to the fact that it is a problem without a real solution. "Find a way to keep your cat in your yard" isn't a solution, it's part of the problem. If everyone had a way of keeping cats in their yard, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
ReplyQuote

JMort JMort VIC Posts: 248
15 12 Mar 2012
Electrify your fence to ensure that if your cat tries to get over it once, there certainly won't be a second time. Think this is enough? Wrong.

Ensure you look into the possibility of fitting a GPS tracker for your cat. This will ensure you know exactly where your cat is at all times. Don't listen to silly arguments about your cat's privacy - your cat is property and doesn't deserve privacy. Also, there may be some extremists who try to tell you that you should respect a cats instinct. Please just ignore this - again, your cat is property and so you know what's best for it.

But above all, make sure you let the cat know that all of this is because you are looking out for it's best interest. Police state coming to cats first - then humans. Thanks homewrecker.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
16 12 Mar 2012
I'm not exactly sure what the reason is for your neighbour not wanting your cat in his yard, but I do think if he doesn't like it for whatever reason, then he has the right to complain about it (though of course the way he went about doing it was completely wrong).
We have a lot of native birdlife that visit our backyard who feel very safe with only minimal natural predators, so if a cat was to start venturing into our yard I would contact the owner immediately.
If I was you I would be keeping my cats indoors until you sort something out with your neighbour. It may be a good idea to get someone of authority (such as a police officer) to talk to him for you, as he sounds like a person I would not want to approach myself.

Have you ever thought about getting a cat enclosure, or an electric fence/shock collar? I know not everyone probably agrees with this idea, though keep in mind animals are intelligent and will quickly learn not to try and go past your yard boundaries otherwise they will get a small shock. I would much rather know my cats are safe in my yard, rather than wandering around the streets and in other peoples backyards - especially after someone has threatened to kill them.
ReplyQuote

tonijosephine tonijosephine VIC Posts: 80
17 12 Mar 2012
Ugh that's horrible. Technically, cats are supposed to be inside or contained in a pen outside (learned this from my local shelter not long ago) and if your cat goes onto someone else's property - they're technically 'trespassing.' Although, that's all technical haha....

I have 2 cats and they're always wandering outside and in the neighbours yards ... if I got a letter like that I'd be furious and confused why they didn't come take it up with me first?? Any reasonable, half decent person knows and appreciates the fact that cats roam, clearly these people just don't like cats!!
ReplyQuote

Arkadia Arkadia SA Posts: 11
18 12 Mar 2012
I hate to 'let the terrorists win' but -- PLEASE, please f**king please keep your cat inside or supervised at ALL times when they are outside. I used to let my cats roam outdoors freely. I ended up with two cats poisoned to death. They died slowly and horribly. Not to mention the vet bills. The vet told me they were 100% sure the poisoning was intentional -- it appears a large amount of panadol had been crushed up and fed to the cats, probably hidden in milk.  I did not get the luxury of a warning.

People ARE that messed up. People will take action, if they're cruel and angry enough. I wouldn't take this threat lightly. I would try to involve some kind of authority, although I'm not sure how much help they'd be, since at least where I live you're not supposed to allow your cats to intrude in others yards (I am aware that barring confinement, this is not possible). Obviously killing someone elses pet is against the law, but as far as I know, there's no law against threatening to (I could be wrong).

I grew up with cats. I've had over twenty of them. Every single one of them died an unnatural death. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Most to cars, a couple to diseases caught due to them being outdoors, and a few to some very sick people. I used to argue when people said they kept their cats indoors. I thought it was cruel. Unnatural.

But you know what's more cruel and unnatural? Watching an animal you love with every atom of your heart slowly die over a period of days, suffering worse than anything you've ever seen. So yeah, I converted. I have three beautiful shelter kitties now, all of them 'indoor cats'. I recently moved to a place with a completely enclosed backyard, so they're free to lounge in the sunshine now when they wish, but my previous home was not competely fenced in so I made time every day, even if that time was at night, to let them run around and breathe some fresh air.

After witnessing how cruel other people can be, and hearing enough horror stories even worse than mine to last me a lifetime, I really believe a mostly indoor life is the kindest thing we can do for our pets. It's not IDEAL, but it's better than the alternative.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
19 13 Mar 2012
I hate to say it, but cats should NEVER, EVER be allowed to roam freely.  My main concern is for the safety of wildlife.  Secondly, for your cat.

I hate, absolutely hate seeing cats hunt wildlife (for fun or for food).  It's traumatic to see them rip another animal to pieces.  

Also, cat enclosure are purchaseable.  Here is a list:
http://www.catmax.com.au/?source=easyppc
http://www.catsafe.com.au/?gclid=CL75r5TT464CFYYepAodJBbtXg
http://www.catcagesaustralia.com.au/

Another point - why should I pick up cat poop in my garden beds or in my yard; when, I as a dog owner am expected to pick up after my dogs or I receive a $150 on the spot fine in Qld.

Lastly, I would never, ever dream of hurting an animal on purpose; however, there are some sick freaks (like you've encountered) that would.  

Bottom line - Keep your cat indoors & be accountable (& keep them & wildlife safe).
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
20 13 Mar 2012
Reply:

Dear Neighbour,

If I find another of your offensive notes in my letter box, I will nail your hands to the front door, Cicero style. This is the last time I receive a cowardly threat letter.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).