Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The new LIE of a KFC ad

Here's the letter I wrote

21 - 30 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
21 2 Apr 2012
Haaayyyllleeeyyy said:
Torx said:
4_da_animals1 said:
Torx said:
When I saw this ad, the first thought that came into my head was 'WTF?'. Seeing this made me so angry. Clearly this add is a lie, so how did it get past broadcasting regulations when their information is false......................?
Watching it also made me think of how people people will now be swayed into buying KFC because the chicken is 'free range'. Innocent lives lost at the expense of stupidity.
Thats what I would like to have more information on. If they are "free range" where are they sourcing their chicken from? Because Steggles and inghams are clearly not "free range".
Unless they are classing broilers in sheds as free range, because technically, if you think about it, they are. They are "free to roam/range" they just don't walk on real ground, aren't surrounded by daylight, and are denied the ability to forrage (can't spell) for food like they would naturally due to the food being provided through feeders. This could still technically be classed as free range, but clearly it is nothing like what their ad claims to have their chooks come from.
The only way we are ever going to get a clear definition of 'free range' in Australia is for the Federal government to create laws and/or guidelines for the definition of 'free range'. That way this kind of confusion and false advertisement can be avoided. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening anytime soon  sad
We also need the government to ban all the steroids and growth hormones they give the chooks. Don't understand at all how animal cruelty can be such a big issue but they are willing to let these chickens die painfully and live their lives in such conditions.
How is them getting their skin burnt off from the chemicals on the floor, any different from a dog being burnt alive.
Neither one deserves it and both die painfully for nothing.
They can get away with claiming the animals are not fed any hormones because it isn't in their feed, it's all the genetics, bred to grow alot more than their natural growth rate.
ReplyQuote

AwareVeg AwareVeg QLD Posts: 37
22 9 Apr 2012
4_da_animals1 said:
Haaayyyllleeeyyy said:
Torx said:
4_da_animals1 said:
Torx said:
When I saw this ad, the first thought that came into my head was 'WTF?'. Seeing this made me so angry. Clearly this add is a lie, so how did it get past broadcasting regulations when their information is false......................?
Watching it also made me think of how people people will now be swayed into buying KFC because the chicken is 'free range'. Innocent lives lost at the expense of stupidity.
Thats what I would like to have more information on. If they are "free range" where are they sourcing their chicken from? Because Steggles and inghams are clearly not "free range".
Unless they are classing broilers in sheds as free range, because technically, if you think about it, they are. They are "free to roam/range" they just don't walk on real ground, aren't surrounded by daylight, and are denied the ability to forrage (can't spell) for food like they would naturally due to the food being provided through feeders. This could still technically be classed as free range, but clearly it is nothing like what their ad claims to have their chooks come from.
The only way we are ever going to get a clear definition of 'free range' in Australia is for the Federal government to create laws and/or guidelines for the definition of 'free range'. That way this kind of confusion and false advertisement can be avoided. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening anytime soon  sad
We also need the government to ban all the steroids and growth hormones they give the chooks. Don't understand at all how animal cruelty can be such a big issue but they are willing to let these chickens die painfully and live their lives in such conditions.
How is them getting their skin burnt off from the chemicals on the floor, any different from a dog being burnt alive.
Neither one deserves it and both die painfully for nothing.
They can get away with claiming the animals are not fed any hormones because it isn't in their feed, it's all the genetics, bred to grow alot more than their natural growth rate.
Having previously observed Chickens "Grown" for KFC, they are far from free ranged.

When you enter these farms, the first thing you notice is your lungs burning. (This is at 200m away from the sheds).
They have 2m wide fans pushing the air out of these sheds which causes a large zone to be rather unbreathable.

The land around is rather overgrown with weeds which seems to have exploded with the run off from the shed, another side affect of this causes your feet to become infected and believe me it lasts for weeks.

The sheds, feed, water, air-movement and even lighting is all automated, these birds will only see humans when they are born and then again once they are killed.

A lot of the sheds now use an open wall system, which means they have sides that can be dropped down to allow natural light and air to pass through the building at random points of these birds lives.
This "open wall" system is nothing more then a tarpaulin cover that can be raised or lowered, there is still "chicken wire" on the other side of this to prevent the birds getting out and foxes/activists getting in.
This is what gives these birds the title of "free ranged" simply because they have access to "Fresh air and sunlight".

(This is all a clever ploy and cunning wording.
The ad its self is not lying in the sense the birds have access to "fresh air and light" just not to the degree the ad shows.)

Once you get passed the smells and the mud filled with faeces, you then come across tanks of a gas I have not been able to identify, only that it has a toxic flag on the side.
I assume it is maybe a system that might be catching some of the methane gas to on-sell as a byproduct?

Inside these sheds, the birds are packed in so tight they can barely move, the automated feed and water system tends to hang from the ceiling with outlets every 1m or so to allow these birds to stay in one spot to minimise stress.

These birds are cover in their own faeces and are covered in such a high number of illnesses its frightening to think people will actually be eating them in a number of days/weeks.

These birds can be fed growth hormones in Australia if they are not growing at their usual expected rate.
Anti-biotics are present in all the birds feed to help keep them alive long enough to make it to slaughter.

I personally believe all animal farming needs to come to an end not only to prevent cruelty but to also help the planet and in the end, even our own health.

From my own experiences these birds are highly stressed at their conditions and do not act in the natural way a chicken normally would in a open setting.

And this is all for peoples addictions and taste buds.
Really makes you wonder...
ReplyQuote

Haaayyyllleeeyyy Haaayyyllleeeyyy VIC Posts: 41
23 15 May 2012
By the way 4_da_animals1, they get their chickens from steggles who I have also seen recently have an equally outrageous add which I have been ranting about.

GAH! They make me so angry!

angry angry angry angry angry angry
ReplyQuote

VR Team VR Team NSW Posts: 4
24 16 May 2012
Yep, it's one of the worst ads going around. Can't believe they keep running it
ReplyQuote

follz follz NSW Posts: 105
25 16 May 2012
This is why the discussion needs to moved from animal treatment to animal use.

The fact is, discussions like these can go on forever simply because the root issue is not addressed (speciesism). We could sit and argue all day about what constitutes 'free range', but to what avail? The end result to the chickens are exactly same, regardless of some arbitrary, meaningless label slapped on a carton of eggs or a meat packet. The only real difference is how the meat/egg/dairy eating public actually feels about consuming the animal product with said label which is what these absurdly-labeled products are all about: making the public more comfortable about consuming animal products. It's that simple.

Does anyone really doubt this? The proof of it is readily evident: such products exist and are becoming ubiquitous. This is what welfarism is creating: a world where it doesn't matter that we use other animals, it only matters how we use them.
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
26 16 May 2012
Why should it matter that we use animals?
ReplyQuote

follz follz NSW Posts: 105
27 18 May 2012
TheSixthStitch said:
Why should it matter that we use animals?
I'm sorry, could you explain what you mean?
ReplyQuote

kronosreligio kronosreligio NSW Posts: 1
28 19 May 2013
Okay I'm sorry but your comment is just completely wrong.

The term free-range is exactly what it sounds like. "Free range is a term which denotes a method of farming husbandry where the animals can roam freely for food, rather than being confined in an enclosure. On many farms, the outdoors ranging area is fenced, thereby technically making this an enclosure, however, free range systems usually offer the opportunity for extensive locomotion and sunlight prevented by indoor housing systems. Free range may apply to meat, eggs or dairy farming." -Wikipedia.

What you're talking about is battery farming. "In poultry farming, battery cages (sometimes called factory farming) are an industrial agricultural confinement system used primarily for egg-laying hens. The name comes from the lines of similar cages connected together, sharing common divider walls. Although the term is usually applied to poultry, similar cage systems are used in fur farming for mink, chinchilla and foxes. The battery cage has generated controversy among advocates for animal welfare and animal rights and industrial egg producers." -Wikipedia

You're just accusing KFC of their wrong doings because they were recently caught out to be lying about being free-range. You pretty much state this, but then go on to say that free-range means they are in cages which is wrong.

"THE fast food giant KFC is no longer advertising that all its chickens ''roam free'' after the consumer watchdog launched legal action against Australia's big poultry suppliers for alleged misleading labelling.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is alleging barn-raised chickens are not ''free to roam'' and has launched Federal Court action against Baiada Poultry and Bartter Enterprises, which supply chickens under the Steggles brand."

You're probably confused because of this: "The KFC website had said that all chickens supplied to its store were allowed ''to roam free in large, clean, air-conditioned barns with continuous access to fresh food and clean water''.
But just like barn laid, free range and even farm range, there is no enforceable definition of the term free to roam, a contentious issue that divides consumer groups, animal welfare organisations and chicken meat producers." http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/kfc-pulls-free-roam-ads-after-watchdog-bites-chicken-suppliers-20110913-1k7tj.html

You can't accuse and then ask for support from others when you haven't done your research.

Also it's an ad, not add.
ReplyQuote

Patricia11 Patricia11 SA Posts: 6
29 19 May 2013
Do you people realize that steroids and growth promotents have been banned for use in Australia for many years. No one uses them anymore. Please do your research before posting rot.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au