I've had a real positive result going vego weight-wise. From what I've seen from other friends though, they fall into the pitfall of becoming "junkfood vegetarians/vegans". Here are a few tips to lose weight without calorie counting:
- Stay away from saturated fats and processed foods, fresh vegetables, fruits, legumes and wholemeal grains are best
- Cook as many of your own meals as possible
- Don't drink your calories (soft drinks, orange juice etc.) and drink water frequently (cold water can burn calories!!)
- Cardio EVERY DAY (no excuses!!), even a half hour walk will do wonders
- Have one or two "cheat" meals a week (yes, sadly cake is a cheat meal)
- Take it slow and don't beat yourself up if you have set backs (I have lost nearly 30kg but it took me 3-4 years)
If you can slowly start changing your diet and exercise habits in a sustainable way your success rate will be better. The other thing to mention is that I had more success when my goal was to become healthy instead of to become thin. Anyhow, good luck!