Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Acne & Soy

Anyone noticed a connection?

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
1 21 Mar 2012
Have recently got fed up with big, sore blind pimples around my chin/jaw area, my skin was clear when I first went veg nearly 2 years ago now and has progressively become worse since despite eating heaps of fresh fruit & veg, drinking plenty of water, exercising, getting lots of sleep etc etc.. the only thing I could put this sudden adult acne onset down to was an increase in soy (especially processed soy like fake meat, tofu & soy milk) I recently cut it out and within days had no new sore blindies coming up & it's been a couple of weeks now. Apparently the estrogen in soy can mess with your natural hormones, warped hormones = acne.

Have given soy the boot now which is good for my skin but bad for the variety of food I can eat...

Have accepted I'll never had a cafe coffee again or fake meat, which probably isn't such a bad thing for my health, just having a first world rant.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in acne since upping their soy intake?
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 21 Mar 2012
I rarely eat mock meat, and I probably have soy milk once or twice a week. My soy intake is incredibly low, but I still have very significant acne. My doctor put me on the pill a few months ago, and that got rid of it, but it gave me horrible migraines and stomach pains, so I stopped taking them. The 'week off' pills also contained lactose, I think. So my acne is back, despite not consuming much soy. It's gotten a little better since going vegan, compared to what it was like before I went vegan, but at my age is should be showing signs of clearing up, but it seems to only show signs of getting worse.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
3 21 Mar 2012
Maggie said:
I rarely eat mock meat, and I probably have soy milk once or twice a week. My soy intake is incredibly low, but I still have very significant acne. My doctor put me on the pill a few months ago, and that got rid of it, but it gave me horrible migraines and stomach pains, so I stopped taking them. The 'week off' pills also contained lactose, I think. So my acne is back, despite not consuming much soy. It's gotten a little better since going vegan, compared to what it was like before I went vegan, but at my age is should be showing signs of clearing up, but it seems to only show signs of getting worse.
I'm only vege, but I've noticed a significant difference in my acne lately..
when I was on the pill I had wonderfully clear skin, but now I'm off it back come the zits..
Do you think it's just soy that would add to the problem? What about carbohydrates and that sorta thing? (I don't know enough about nutrition to work it out tongue )
ReplyQuote

4 21 Mar 2012
I was having soy milk on my cereal most days & usually one soy coffee plus at least every second or third night I'd have tofu or TVP etc...

I think lots of refined carbs (white bread, pasta, cakes etc) could have negative effects on your skin but I think hormones & genetics have more to do with it.

Hormones= dairy & soy. Try cutting them out and see how you go.

Soy mimics estrogen in the body which can lead to hormonal imbalances.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
5 21 Mar 2012
I eat a fair bit of tofu and soy meat. My face has stll cleared up after going vegan, but then again I think I used to eat a lot of dairy (more then I eat soy now) and have been eating a lot more veggies and healthy food, as well as drinking more water. I don't think getting rid of soy would help me as I don't think it really effects me to bad.  That would suck though, do you think you could get away with eating small amounts of soy food on occasion without breaking out?
ReplyQuote

Miss. Jones Miss. Jones VIC Posts: 242
6 21 Mar 2012
Uh-huh.... maassive fat increase around my belly and acne.  As soon as I stop the weight starts dropping off ... i am starting to think there are truths about Soy being toxic  love
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
7 21 Mar 2012
Seriously... Soy is harmless unless you're allergic or eating 5 kilos of it a day. The estrogen in soy is of a  Plant variety and doesn't affect the amount of estrogen in the body, it's completely different. Never eating soy again might be a bit unreasonable.
ReplyQuote

8 21 Mar 2012
Kirrilly said:
Seriously... Soy is harmless unless you're allergic or eating 5 kilos of it a day. The estrogen in soy is of a  Plant variety and doesn't affect the amount of estrogen in the body, it's completely different. Never eating soy again might be a bit unreasonable.
I heard they are starting to use soy isoflavones to treat the symptoms of menopause (hormone replacement therapy) so obviously it has some effect on us?

I've just tried so many things in the past year to get rid of this & as soon as I stopped consuming soy I have seen a huge improvement.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
9 21 Mar 2012
I'm on the pill and without that I break out, that was before being veg though, so I must already be imbalanced, haha.
I'd love to know if there is a connection.. I'm trying to lose weight and not being very successful, I've been good at it before, back when I was an omni sadly, but now I'm struggling. Makes me wonder if I'm missing something or if yea, the excess in soy is working against me?

Have you tried almond milk?? That might be nice on your cereal and in coffee.. and no soy happy

I don't really eat much soy meat.. hardly ever infact. It's just soymilk i'm having in my oats and just started drinking chocolate soymilk as a treat...
Oh and tofu from my local noodle box once a week. Love that tongue
ReplyQuote

10 21 Mar 2012
Tanyaka said:
I'm on the pill and without that I break out, that was before being veg though, so I must already be imbalanced, haha.
I'd love to know if there is a connection.. I'm trying to lose weight and not being very successful, I've been good at it before, back when I was an omni sadly, but now I'm struggling. Makes me wonder if I'm missing something or if yea, the excess in soy is working against me?

Have you tried almond milk?? That might be nice on your cereal and in coffee.. and no soy happy

I don't really eat much soy meat.. hardly ever infact. It's just soymilk i'm having in my oats and just started drinking chocolate soymilk as a treat...
Oh and tofu from my local noodle box once a week. Love that tongue
Cutting out simple carbs (white or overly processed bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) should help you with weight loss, focus mainly on fresh vegetables & fruit, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans etc... Whatever carbs you do eat, have them earlier in the day and stick to veggies for dinner.

I can't see soy being an inhibitor for weight loss at all but you could always cut it out for a fortnight and see if you find an improvement with your skin?

Weight loss does honestly come down to calories in, calories out and as much as some people can't stand counting calories, it's helpful to know a little bit about the amount of calories in what you're eating & aim for a deficit either through eating less calorie dense foods or through exercise.

I don't mind almond milk, not a fan of it in a coffee though but have been having rice milk on cereal.. Have decided not having coffee isn't such a bad thing, was a little worried about getting stained teeth from my coffee habit and it set me off to crave bad foods for the rest of the day.

Also! If you are working out opt to do some weight training, building lean muscle will raise your metabolic rate & you'll burn more calories just sitting on your butt happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au