Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Coenzyme Q10 (coQ10)

Anyone on suppliments for this?

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
1 21 Mar 2012
I went in to my local chemist looking for sub-lingual b12 tablets (no good, stick to health food shops!!!) and anyway, they were trying to fit me with other stuff coz I looked tired.. and I told them, no thanks, just want the one important one for vegans.

The lady mentioned coQ10 and said that it is hard to get from diet and it is really important as is b12... she said a lot of people feel tired and may think it is b12 or something but it can actually be that..

Does anyone know anything much about this? I'm googling and trying to learn but have never seen it mentioned as a vegan thing to take. So far it seems it isn't as vital to supplement as we create it ourselves in our body, but storage can deplete.. but also it looks like there is a link between it and b12..
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
2 21 Mar 2012
co Q10 is something that everyone should take after they reach about 25. You probably haven't found much info on it related to veganism because it's something that effects everyone not just vegans. CoQ10 is used in the process of making energy for the body, it's found in the largest concentrations in the important organs like the heart etc. As you age your body's ability to make this chemical decreases and since it has such an important role it's smart to take a supplement. There are no other chemicals in the body that function like coQ10, it is unique and is required in every cell in our bodies. coQ10 is reported to have quite a few health benefits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10

some info if you're interested.
ReplyQuote

3 22 Mar 2012
I'm nearly 26... I think I'll get some and try it out. I'm always tired and un-energised these days (hard job) can't hurt to give it a try and see if it makes a difference!
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
4 22 Mar 2012
Tanyaka said:
I'm nearly 26... I think I'll get some and try it out. I'm always tired and un-energised these days (hard job) can't hurt to give it a try and see if it makes a difference!
I know this is a sterotype but have you looked into your iron levels? A little while back I was tired ALL THE TIME then I found out it was because I had an iron deficeincy or however you spell it. I was on the proper supplements for awhile, now im off them I seem to be going alright happy
Interesting fact, you need to be high in vitamin c in order to absorb iron from veggies like spinach, as it's harder to absorb than iron from meat. Good thing I like my oranges. wink
A blood test from your doc couldn't hurt. peace
ReplyQuote

5 22 Mar 2012
Sigh, yea, I'm pretty sure my iron would be low sad

Noticed when I was filling out food diary that I struggled to hit my iron targets... hardly even touch them. I'm low on other stuff too!! So hard to reduce calories and still hit everything!! grr.

Thought my multivitamins would help but guess not! Bit of a worry.

I will have to try and somehow get more out of my calories.
ReplyQuote

6 22 Mar 2012
heh. Googling about iron.... it says curry powder is hiiiiiiiigh in iron. I should be covered with that alone!! I eat so much of it!! haha.

Trip to the doctors would help ... yuck.

Gonna try raising my calories a bit so i can eat more food varity and see if my energy levels go up.
ReplyQuote

7 23 Mar 2012
Tanyaka said:
heh. Googling about iron.... it says curry powder is hiiiiiiiigh in iron. I should be covered with that alone!! I eat so much of it!! haha.

Trip to the doctors would help ... yuck.

Gonna try raising my calories a bit so i can eat more food varity and see if my energy levels go up.
If you do end up on supplements, don't get the generic brands, you need to ones specific for iron deficiencies, the ones I had were a little white bottle with a red lid.
I hate doctors too.. but sometimes it's inevitable. sad
Spincha and beetroot are meant to be high, but like I said, you need plenty of vitamin c to absorb it. happy
ReplyQuote

8 23 Mar 2012
Yup. I get lots of vitamin c happy

I relooked at my food planner too and it doesn't actually list all the iron in all my foods!! The bread I eat alone has 33% RDI of iron!!

So hopefully I am okay and just tired coz I work long hours, wrestling with doggies 6 days a week haha tongue

Will get blood test next time I'm due at the doctors..
ReplyQuote

9 26 Mar 2012
Tanyaka said:
Yup. I get lots of vitamin c happy

I relooked at my food planner too and it doesn't actually list all the iron in all my foods!! The bread I eat alone has 33% RDI of iron!!

So hopefully I am okay and just tired coz I work long hours, wrestling with doggies 6 days a week haha tongue

Will get blood test next time I'm due at the doctors..
Goodluck!!!
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
10 17 Apr 2012
You could be hitting your iron requirement levels, but iron is so poorly absorbed from our intestines that you may not be getting enough into your system.

A blood test would be a very good idea.

As for iron medications, definitely take what the doctor recommends for you, however, if you start getting bad side effects from it, most commonly constipation, do not be afraid to go back to see your pharmacist. They can help you find the right product that will help you boost your iron levels and try to keep other side affects under control. Some people put up with the side effects, and this is just a friendly way for me to say, you don't have to! There isn't just one solution!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au