Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan pregnancy

Advice, support, comments

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

carmielee carmielee SA Posts: 16
1 21 Mar 2012
I will soon be announcing to family and friends that I am expecting my first child. I thought I would ask for any advice, tips and perhaps some witty comebacks for the comments and criticisms I will surely receive by being pregnant and vegan!
While ultimately it doesn't matter what other people think...I know that my lifestyle choice will come under even closer scrutiny now that I'm expecting.
I'm really interested to hear about other people's experiences chick
ReplyQuote

Haaayyyllleeeyyy Haaayyyllleeeyyy VIC Posts: 41
2 21 Mar 2012
Hey,
CONGRATS.
Just wanting to say while Im nether pregnant nor vegan, well done on sticking to your convictions.
However, I HAVE done a bit of research on pregnancy in vegetarians/vegans and it CAN be a little worrisome. Something to do with the babies brain development.

Anyways, I would never change my choice and start eating meat again, but I do think it's important you do some research to make sure your getting all the good stuff for baby. Then you're killing 2 birds with one stone - learning what baby needs and you'll have plenty of come-backs for your family.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS AGAIN!
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
3 21 Mar 2012
Everyone who is pregnant needs their diet looked at to make sure you are consuming the right amount of folate and other essential vitamins for healthy brain and body development. I highly suggest you speak to a vegan nutritionist and read books on the topic.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
4 21 Mar 2012
Congratulations! I have been doing a bit of research also as I want to start a family soon. I would suggest perhaps a blood test to make sure all your vitamin levels are where they should be. Also like the above suggestion, nutritionalist. Not necessarily a vegan one, a good one should be able to help you, although if you can find a vegan one all the better. I found an article the other day on vegan pregnancy and childhood through the vegan network Vic. Perhaps google it? Knowledge is power. I always think people didn't always have the tools to slaughter and people didn't always drink milk and yet here we are, humanity survived. We have knowledge now too happy
ReplyQuote

Shahna Lammajamma Shahna Lammajamma QLD Posts: 56
5 21 Mar 2012
congrats, i dont have any experience to share but i also find it an interesting topic, i personally feel that you can be vegan during pregnancy. Research research research and keep us up to date on your progress so we can later say we know it can be done =D
ReplyQuote

Mel17 Mel17 SA Posts: 98
6 21 Mar 2012
Congratulations! Very exciting! I had a vegan pregnancy and let me just say, it went perfectly. I had about 2 days where I felt unwell. Some of my friends were pregnant at the same time as me and they had morning sickness for weeks on end! The only thing I took was folate which is recommended for all pregnant women. My theory was if the baby needs something then I'll crave it happy I ended up with a perfectly healthy boy who is now 6 and very intelligent. No problems with his brain development. Good luck x
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
7 22 Mar 2012
Congrats! How exciting for you!

The main things I focused on was B12 (for bubs nervous system development), Omegas (for bubs brain & eye development) and iron (as of 20wks I was classed anaemic as my daughter was mooching a heap of iron).

Those to me are the important ones. You can get a multi-v with all sorts of stuff in them.

Folate is most important in first trimester. But if you are like me and eat a lot of veggies your folate levels should be sweet.

My doc was good and would send me off for blood tests every 2mths to check all my levels. I didn't mind and it was comforting to know that I was on track, and if someone was slipping we would catch it soon enough.
ReplyQuote

Miss. Jones Miss. Jones VIC Posts: 242
8 22 Mar 2012
Oh awesome.... I have goosebumps. Congratulations, this is a magical story, music to the ears.
Well. i think its about time we stop needing to justify ourselves.  The carnivores need to start telling us why they think its okay to put toxins into their baby's systems bahahaha!

Perhaps just ask people to respect your choices and let them know that your health professional is ensuring you have adequate nutrients. It might be a gentle and easy way to deal with things.

My best friends wife had a baby recently and meat made her terribly ill while she was prgenant so she refrained from eating meat.  She has had the baby now and can only eat fish. The husband is a carnovore but they have agreed to raise the baby as a vegetarian ... yay babies making their own choices  happy
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
9 22 Mar 2012
Congratulations! Just make sure to get blood tested so you know what things you'll need to take. I assume you'll be going to the docs regularly, they'll make sure you're getting everything you need. So long as you care (and posting about this means that you do) you're sure to get everything you need.
That way too when people ask or throw negative comments your way you can easily tell them that you're getting everything you need.
ReplyQuote

carmielee carmielee SA Posts: 16
10 22 Mar 2012
Awww...thank you. I hadn't thought about it that way...I shouldn't have to justify myself should I?!  clap
And hooray for babies making ethical food choices hehehe xoxoxo
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au