Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Starting my own vegan society at uni?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

shhhjess shhhjess WA Posts: 39
1 31 Mar 2012
The university I've been accepted into doesn't have a vegan society, so I'd very much like to start one, but I wouldn't know what to do after registering it!

What do people do there? Do we just it around and eat vegan cake and chat about the weather? Or do we get out and change the world?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
2 31 Mar 2012
Personally in my opinion - it would be more worthwhile to create an animal welfare/rights club on campus so you don't alienate other students from joining! You could convert them-instead of sticking them out.

Plus is your an activism based society you can help animals out much more ecstatic

Just my two cents- let me know if you want any more help!
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
3 31 Mar 2012
Your student union or the association running the clubs will have advice for you regarding that. Usually you get word about the club out there, stick info up on noticeboards, get members on board, form a secretariat and converse with the members about the goals for the club and take off from there.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
4 1 Apr 2012
I'm inclined to agree with Jack. We don't want to alienate people who may share similar views and opinions to our own.

While on the topic, the UB cafeteria rrreeeaaalllyyy needs to stock some vegan food. Even the meatless salad rolls still contain cheese and butter... counter-productive in my opinion.
ReplyQuote

ezql ezql WA Posts: 54
5 1 Apr 2012
veganskywalker said:
The university I've been accepted into doesn't have a vegan society, so I'd very much like to start one, but I wouldn't know what to do after registering it!

What do people do there? Do we just it around and eat vegan cake and chat about the weather? Or do we get out and change the world?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
I'm also curious with the things you brought up.

Also, what uni?
ReplyQuote

shhhjess shhhjess WA Posts: 39
6 1 Apr 2012
So starting an animal rights society would be a better idea? I guess it would be a good idea to get everyone together and then get everyone to throw in ideas for the general purpose of the meetings happy Thanks for your help, guys!

Um, it's ECU in Joondalup happy
ReplyQuote

ezql ezql WA Posts: 54
7 2 Apr 2012
Ah okay, if you meet/see/know a girl called Tash Witte, tell her Caleb says hi happy .
Best of luck with your society
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
8 2 Apr 2012
I also think creating an animal rights group would be more beneficial. That way you wouldn't limit the people you can reach with a positive message. I guess you could discuss local, national, international animal welfare news and campaigns, organise fundraising and events, someone could make a vegan treat and bring it to a weekly meeting. happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au