Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan food for people constantly travelling

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
1 1 Apr 2012
Vegans of Unleashed, I need a bit of advice as I'm finding it progressively harder to be a proper vegan, and be healthy.

Because of the nature of my job, I stay in hotel rooms in different cities/states up to 6 nights in a week with nothing but a teapot; thus cooking is out of the question. This, combined with the fact that I'm always in these new cities at odd times of the day/night (often outside of grocery store trading hours!) means that I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to find vegan food, and be healthy.

I'm constantly exhausted because I'm not eating properly/barely eating at all. I've been living off cold baked beans in a can... Can anyone recommend foods that are vegan, healthy and don't need cooking or refrigerating? Unfortunately I can't pack my lunch for an entire week as you can't bring fresh food from other states into the places I travel to. I've started being a little less strict with what I'm eating, which isn't what I want to do sad
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
2 1 Apr 2012
Heya, I too am very interested in the replies u get however I was wondering what about a muesli type packet with a can of coconut milk?? I bought a pack of loving earth organic deluxe buckinis (not cheap but amazing)  and plan to try with soy milk or coconut milk (I wonder if u try the canned milk so u use it in one go and no refrigeration required? Then when you do have fresh fruit you can add that. This might be a ridiculous suggestion I'm not sure, hope it helps though.... Good luck xo
ReplyQuote

Haaayyyllleeeyyy Haaayyyllleeeyyy VIC Posts: 41
3 1 Apr 2012
Oh gosh! That sounds terrible!
I can't imagine how hard that must be!

Can you make something like a vege patty and take it with you? That would at least get you a good meal for a day and you can pack it full of whatever you want and maybe try and get all your nutrients in one hit?

Or maybe you might have to investigate fast food places about where you're heading to next to see what's on offer and get it delivered to you're room or something before you arrive?

I have no idea I'm just taking a stab in the dark here. I can't imagine how difficult that would be.
ReplyQuote

Mel17 Mel17 SA Posts: 98
4 1 Apr 2012
Muesli is a great idea. Also nuts and dried fruit. Just to get you through until the shops open. That's sucks! Definitely a tricky one. Orgran soup sachets.
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
5 1 Apr 2012
Mhm -  Vegan is eating healthy food, i.e. fresh ingredients which are good for you, and in your case potentially hard to get hold off in your situation.

You'll probably get some more helpful replies but;
I would Google any health food stores in your area when you get there or if your staying in an area for a few days at a time you could find a local health food store - stock up on easy to prepare vegan meals.
Vegan 2 min noodles??
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
6 2 Apr 2012
Maybe start eating Subway.. or find a mall with a food court... lots of fruit salads.. and hot meals of veggies and stuff there. and shop for groceries just for each trip...

You could probably easily keep fruit and nuts in your room. If you like raw vegetables you could buy stuff like carrots and hommus...

You have a kettle, so you could have hot meals that just need some boiling water.. instant noodles.... of even a fresh pasta from the fridge section.. a lot of the sauces don't need heating really, if the pasta is hot it warms the sauce.

And how about a packet of leafy salad mix, some dressing and a can of 4 bean mix... it's already washed, so just need to drain the beans and mix together..

Can you afford to go to restaurants?? I'm sure you could order a side dish of veggies if they don't have anything vegan.

Other than that.. if you could cook some food that doesn't taste bad cold and take it with you so you at least start your trip on the right note... like some vegan sausage rolls or a curry with rice or something. mmm
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
7 2 Apr 2012
Peanut butter toast? A lot of places I stay have a toaster as well as a kettle
ReplyQuote

laurenb laurenb VIC Posts: 1
8 14 May 2012
There are vegan friendly packs of indian food available at Coles.  There are several versions which are vegan, dahl and potato or eggplant curry.  All you need to do is find a suitable container to place the foil packet in (I often use the champagne cooler) and boil the kettle a few times to keep the water hot for 10 mins.  You then tear open the packet and serve with either some rice ordered from the hotel or cous cous brought from home (just add water).  You can find these packets in the indian section of the supermarket.

I have also found some hotels are able to provide microwaves if requested at the time of booking.  Otherwise muesli bars and the morning breakfast buffet are your best friends....
ReplyQuote

Tegeran Tegeran VIC Posts: 25
9 14 May 2012
laurenb said:
There are vegan friendly packs of indian food available at Coles.  There are several versions which are vegan, dahl and potato or eggplant curry.  All you need to do is find a suitable container to place the foil packet in (I often use the champagne cooler) and boil the kettle a few times to keep the water hot for 10 mins.  You then tear open the packet and serve with either some rice ordered from the hotel or cous cous brought from home (just add water).  You can find these packets in the indian section of the supermarket.

I have also found some hotels are able to provide microwaves if requested at the time of booking.  Otherwise muesli bars and the morning breakfast buffet are your best friends....
Depending in which hotel, if you tell them you have special dietry requirement at time of booking, they can cater to your needs.
Otherwise, just call up room service and advise you require the use of a microwave. They can generally have it heated and returned to your room. We've done this for a number of baby food/bottles, as well as for people with dietry requirements.

(i used to work at a hotel in the city, and there were times we had a number of guests gluten free, lactos intolerant, vegan - even did a kosher meal once)
ReplyQuote

Janine Janine NSW Posts: 232
10 14 May 2012
Do you often travel to the same places?

Unless you are travelling to fairly remote places, there are vegetarian places (at least) popping up everywhere.

What about going to juice bars and ordering green smoothies (celery, spinach, carrot, banana, kale) etc or whatever they have available. It is very important that you get green leafy vegetables in your diet and this might be the easiest alternative for you. At least for one meal.

As well as this buying mixed nuts for snacks. (another thing you should find in most places)

Salads, vegie burgers, sushi with no mayonnaise, falafel kebabs, salad sandwiches are some other options that shouldnt be too hard to find.

Hope this helps. Its one thing eating lots of vegan junk but your not going to feel energetic or healthy doing it.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au