Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Privacy Act

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Lollie1 Lollie1 NSW Posts: 6
1 26 Apr 2012
Can anyone tell me if there is a privacy act where a pet shop can't tell you where the puppy came from.  I rang a pet shop posing as a customer and said I wanted to see the premises where the puppy came from.  I was told there was a Privacy Act.  They have a sign up saying the puppies don't come from Puppy Factories...how do they know if they don't inspect the places?????
I WANT OSCARS LAW
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 26 Apr 2012
You should've asked that they must be getting them from puppy factories then. If they disagree, say "Well how am I supposed to know?"

I hate it when they do that, when they call it a 'Privacy act' a.k.a "Yes, we do get our puppies from factory farms where they treat their animals inhumanely and we are happy to support that'"
ReplyQuote

3 26 Apr 2012
Hi pegs have done that also.  I stuck an 'Oscar's Law" petition near their front door.  I'm on a mission
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
4 26 Apr 2012
They would be purchasing their puppies from backyard breeders. Which is the same thing as a puppy farmer in any respect to us.. however it's a neat little loop hole/different term they can use to claim they don't purchase from puppy farmers.
ReplyQuote

5 26 Apr 2012
We got our darling little Lhasa Apso (we just thought he was a giant Maltese ShitzuJ) from the pound....talk about spoilt  "Woof" lift me off the bed, "Woof" lift me on the bed....he's quite capable. Rump steak, B&Q chickens, growls for butt rubs, but throws in a tail wag so we know it's not a serious growl.  My children call him the Golden Child...lol  and sometimes the little devil is spoon fed
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 26 Apr 2012
Lollie1 said:
We got our darling little Lhasa Apso (we just thought he was a giant Maltese ShitzuJ) from the pound....talk about spoilt  "Woof" lift me off the bed, "Woof" lift me on the bed....he's quite capable. Rump steak, B&Q chickens, growls for butt rubs, but throws in a tail wag so we know it's not a serious growl.  My children call him the Golden Child...lol  and sometimes the little devil is spoon fed
Don't get me started on spoilt dogs... laugh as long as they know where they stand in the family, and listen when it's needed! love
ReplyQuote

7 26 Apr 2012
Max....haha....he sneezes in your face and has a very serious underbite
ReplyQuote

8 26 Apr 2012
when my girls come home from school...I'll get a pic put up...I'm hopeless
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
9 27 Apr 2012
maybe the breeder works from home and raises puppies there... and doesn't want randoms coming around their house and nosing about their business... kind of like your friends handing out your mobile to anyone that asks for it.

I don't see Veganism as a warrant for treating everyone like a potential criminal, just because new ethicals laws are being written which are not currently in place. it is about educating people what this 'new law' is... not prosecuting them for a new law being broken upon them.

so maybe just approach the pet shop management and kindly ask them what the deal is with their puppies. et cetera. I assume they would want well looked after animals to begin with, as this is their income and business. but just specify that you are concerned and need reassurance if you're going to support them.

and then if they seem stand-offish and are in a position in the business that should actually have this information available to them, THEN do some further investigation, which will probably need some laws on your side, as you might be breaking a few if you stalk people and confront animal abusive breeders alone
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au