Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Rant about idiots and dining out

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
1 19 May 2012
My brother is such a tosser!

For his birthday tonight, he decided we should all go to this Japanese restaurant for dinner. I was assured there are some vegan options on the menu. I checked this "menu" out and it appears that on Saturday nights there is a set banquet comprised of mainly raw deceased marine life and fried-up deceased poultry. There are a couple of vegan things in the banquet, but I'm an impoverished Uni student who works to support myself and my fiancee; we live on a paltry sum from week to week, and I don't want to fork out $40 for a cucumber nori and a bowl of miso.

I messaged this tosser brother of mine to mention all of this and apparently there ARE options for [quote] "those of weaker constitution" [unquote].

Arsehole! I know he's trying to wind me up, that's been his full time job since he ruined my stint of being an only child 28 years ago. But sometimes it rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy shits me to the point of screaming oblivion when people poke fun at our ethical and dietary choices.

We don't do this to be difficult, because if anything the people we affect by being vegan is primarily ourselves.

Rant over. For the time being.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 19 May 2012
I also had an incident last night. I am part of our local Hall committee and this year we were hosting the shires volunteer awards. My contribution was a veg soup (the only thing I could eat there, everything else had either meat or cheese). I spent HOURS preparing this soup only to have them combine it with another veg (with chicken broth!!) soup when I got there. People kept asking if I had eaten anything or telling me I should, as I was out in the kitchen busying myself. I felt like screaming NO! The only thing I could eat is now ruined!! Ugh! It just makes me more inclined to be a hermet! I would gladly buy a bush hut to stay away from ignorance!!
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
3 19 May 2012
We asked a place once if they had soy milk for coffees, and were told, "Sorry, we don't do special needs". And we've never been back since...
ReplyQuote

Rabidewok Rabidewok SA Posts: 23
4 19 May 2012
Anthony said:
We asked a place once if they had soy milk for coffees, and were told, "Sorry, we don't do special needs". And we've never been back since...
lol @ special needs. because not wanting to drink pus makes you disabled or something.
ReplyQuote

Mel17 Mel17 SA Posts: 98
5 19 May 2012
I know it's not funny, but I had to laugh when I read your post! It reminds me so much of myself. My blood literally boils sometimes and I just want to scream at people. Meat eaters just dont get it.
ReplyQuote

Homewrecker Homewrecker VIC Posts: 49
6 19 May 2012
Glen said:

For his birthday tonight, he decided we should all go to this Japanese restaurant for dinner. I was assured there are some vegan options on the menu. I checked this "menu" out and it appears that on Saturday nights there is a set banquet comprised of mainly raw deceased marine life and fried-up deceased poultry. There are a couple of vegan things in the banquet, but I'm an impoverished Uni student who works to support myself and my fiancee; we live on a paltry sum from week to week, and I don't want to fork out $40 for a cucumber nori and a bowl of miso.

I messaged this tosser brother of mine to mention all of this and apparently there ARE options for [quote] "those of weaker constitution" [unquote].

Arsehole! I know he's trying to wind me up, that's been his full time job since he ruined my stint of being an only child 28 years ago. But sometimes it rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy shits me to the point of screaming oblivion when people poke fun at our ethical and dietary choices.

We don't do this to be difficult, because if anything the people we affect by being vegan is primarily ourselves.

Wait- so it was HIS birthday, not yours, he checked to see if there were vegan options and let you know and you're having a cry because he made a little remark about it and you don't like the price!? It's his birthday, he should be able to eat where he wants. Don't like it then don't go. You really expect everyone that's going to change their plans on a day that should be about him just because of you?

Honestly, he may be winding you up but seems like this is one where you could've taken the high road - especially given that it was his birthday. All of us deal with the jabs from our family and I think anyone with a maturity level above that of a 16 year old can take it. Seems to me that you are looking for an excuse to proclaim "everyone look at me, I'm vegan" and expecting them to change just because of you.
rolleyes
ReplyQuote

Rabidewok Rabidewok SA Posts: 23
7 19 May 2012
Homewrecker said:
Glen said:

Wait- so it was HIS birthday, not yours, he checked to see if there were vegan options and let you know and you're having a cry because he made a little remark about it and you don't like the price!? It's his birthday, he should be able to eat where he wants. Don't like it then don't go. You really expect everyone that's going to change their plans on a day that should be about him just because of you?

Honestly, he may be winding you up but seems like this is one where you could've taken the high road - especially given that it was his birthday. All of us deal with the jabs from our family and I think anyone with a maturity level above that of a 16 year old can take it. Seems to me that you are looking for an excuse to proclaim "everyone look at me, I'm vegan" and expecting them to change just because of you.
rolleyes
Simmer. Everyone has different feelings and perceptions on events. To be fair, when you pick a dinner venue (even if it is your birthday) you're meant to accomodate your guests, and family. Picking an expensive restaurant isn't exactly fair. If the OP was gluten intolerant, that would be more accepted than vegan/vegetarian.

We're all on the same side here, theres no need to trivialize others feelings because you disagree. Especially on such a harsh level.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
8 19 May 2012
Homewrecker said:
rolleyes
Take a crash course on reading comprehension. You missed my point and went straight for the part where you get to hop into the maturity debate. I can't be bothered arguing with you because I've read the crap you spout around these traps, and it's pretty obvious you're oblivious to reasoning.

The other side to this debate is my other brother who has three little daughters. He has to drive 2 hours to get here, take the kids somewhere for tea because they're sure to turn their noses up at raw fish and miso soup, then go to tea and face the problem of keeping the kids entertained while everyone else gets totalled on warm sake. I merely argue that this whole debacle wasn't thought through from the very beginning.

On a side note, I called the venue after they opened today and enquired about the vegan menu. Their solution is to serve up the items on the set banquet which don't contain meat or animal products, which are a handful of steamed edamame, a bowl of spinach and the assorted tempura vegetables, and skip the other stuff... and they still charge you $40!

Interesting!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
9 20 May 2012
Glen said:
Homewrecker said:
rolleyes
Take a crash course on reading comprehension. You missed my point and went straight for the part where you get to hop into the maturity debate. I can't be bothered arguing with you because I've read the crap you spout around these traps, and it's pretty obvious you're oblivious to reasoning.

The other side to this debate is my other brother who has three little daughters. He has to drive 2 hours to get here, take the kids somewhere for tea because they're sure to turn their noses up at raw fish and miso soup, then go to tea and face the problem of keeping the kids entertained while everyone else gets totalled on warm sake. I merely argue that this whole debacle wasn't thought through from the very beginning.

On a side note, I called the venue after they opened today and enquired about the vegan menu. Their solution is to serve up the items on the set banquet which don't contain meat or animal products, which are a handful of steamed edamame, a bowl of spinach and the assorted tempura vegetables, and skip the other stuff... and they still charge you $40!

Interesting!
Totally get your point! I hate it when places expect you to just eat a meal that they've cooked and taken out the bad stuff, like a bowl of spinach as you said and then charge you an insane amount of money for it. Expecting that this is the kind of thing we just eat anyway because there's no alternative.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
10 22 May 2012
Glen said:
Homewrecker said:
rolleyes

Interesting!
It's like how I'm not allowed to take everyone out to a vegetarian place for my birthday because it's "unaccomodating" and yet It's ok for me to go to a place where my only options are hot chips or salad that consists of three lettuce leaves, a couple quarters of tomato and a few gratings of carrot.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au