Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan Icing?

Nice hard sweet icing.

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
1 23 May 2012
Hey y'all. Just wondering if people have any tips for good icing sugars. Ages ago i used to just use a simple icing recipe of icing sugar, water, vanilla essence and egg white. The egg white made it really hard and smooth when set. I make it without the egg these days but it doesn't turn out as smooth and hard. Just wondering if anyone knows what i could add to have the same effect? Thanks!
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
2 23 May 2012
The icing in this recipe sets pretty hard happy
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Chocolate-Slice-L825.html

The slice is also extremely delicious, so I suggest you make that too haha.

EDIT: Also maybe try reducing or omitting the margarine if you want it to be super firm?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
3 23 May 2012
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
4 24 May 2012
If there are any vegan cake decorators out there I would love to hear from them... To make little flowers and such you whisk more and more pure icing sugar into an egg white til it's practically stiff.. and then when you pipe it out it goes practically rock solid. Would love a vegan alternative happy You can buy vegan fondant.. well it's ordinary fondant and some turn out to have no animal ingrediants.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
5 28 May 2012
Ooo Thanks happy!
ReplyQuote

the_ether the_ether QLD Posts: 35
6 7 Jun 2012
4_da_animals1 said:
If there are any vegan cake decorators out there I would love to hear from them... To make little flowers and such you whisk more and more pure icing sugar into an egg white til it's practically stiff.. and then when you pipe it out it goes practically rock solid. Would love a vegan alternative happy You can buy vegan fondant.. well it's ordinary fondant and some turn out to have no animal ingrediants.
No Egg from Orgran is perfect for this. The hard icing is called Royal Icing, and you'll be hard pressed to find a packet mix of it that doesn't have powdered egg white in it. So instead, add No Egg to icing sugar and gradually add water until it's slightly runny but mostly firm. Pop a little on a plate and cover the bowl with cling wrap (make sure the wrap touches the surface of the icing to prevent a crust forming. Let the stuff on the plate set - if it's hard enough, crack on, otherwise add No Egg a little at a time until you get what you're after. One of these days I'll get around to writing down the proportions!

I've used this method to construct gingerbread houses so it's pretty strong.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
7 9 Jun 2012
the_ether said:
4_da_animals1 said:
No Egg from Orgran is perfect for this. The hard icing is called Royal Icing, and you'll be hard pressed to find a packet mix of it that doesn't have powdered egg white in it. So instead, add No Egg to icing sugar and gradually add water until it's slightly runny but mostly firm. Pop a little on a plate and cover the bowl with cling wrap (make sure the wrap touches the surface of the icing to prevent a crust forming. Let the stuff on the plate set - if it's hard enough, crack on, otherwise add No Egg a little at a time until you get what you're after. One of these days I'll get around to writing down the proportions!

I've used this method to construct gingerbread houses so it's pretty strong.
ohh I can't wait to give that a try! n_n
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au