Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

"I can't believe i stopped hunting because of a girl i've never met, thank you."

Inspiring those around you

1 - 9 of 9 posts

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
1 12 Jul 2012
Yesterday a friend of mine sent me a message saying that i'd inspired him to stop recreational hunting. He's hung his gun up and taken out the firing pin so now it's just 'memerobilia' on his wall.

I've never met this person in real life, we've been talking on the net for about a year, sharing our love of heavy metal music and getting to know each other. All round he's a nice, generous and loyal kind of person. When we were talking about hobbies and he said hunting i said "oh.." and moved along. I never said anything negative about it but when he asked if i'd ever been i said no and gave my reasons in a nice way and we changed topic.

I post a lot of animal cruelty related links, videos, petitions and information on my facebook page, after flicking through a few of them he started asking me questions. Fascinated by my responses, as he'd never been exsposed to these thoughts or way of thinking. He said it opened his eyes and now he feels terrible and will never hunt again.

I feel really good about inspiring someone to change their thinking and lifestyle of their own accord and free will.

Have you ever inspired someone in this way? I'd love to hear your stories happy

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
2 12 Jul 2012
I haven't been that fortunate, but that's a pretty awesome story you have there. Nice job.
ReplyQuote

vegiepete vegiepete SA Posts: 147
3 12 Jul 2012
you should feel so proud of urself..and the way it happened , not having to ram something down someones throat, i do believe people pay more respect to these things if they find it for themselves and then start asking questions ..it would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside ..well done
ReplyQuote

SaRa_aRaS SaRa_aRaS QLD Posts: 54
4 12 Jul 2012
ecstatic that's so awesome!
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
5 12 Jul 2012
Leading by example is the best way to inspire change in people. There are people who I've tried to "persuade" to go veg, back when I was much younger. None of them changed a thing. Since I've grown and matured, I've taken to a much less aggressive approach. I share my vegan baked goods with people, when they ask me about my lifestyle I tell them. When I have gatherings or friends over, I offer them vegan meals and I talk about the nutrition side of things more often than the animal rights side, as people feel less of a tabboo about that, and often health concerns are the only thing stopping people from going veg.

This approach seems to have convinced a few people to give vegetarian/vegan life a try. A few of them have stuck to it.

Much like GoldAutumn's friend with the hunting, people seem to respond to a less judgemental, gentler, more indirect approach, where they are the ones who decide to change, and you don't directly suggest they do or try to make them.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
6 13 Jul 2012
vegiepete said:
you should feel so proud of urself..and the way it happened , not having to ram something down someones throat, i do believe people pay more respect to these things if they find it for themselves and then start asking questions ..it would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside ..well done
Exactly.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 13 Jul 2012
Last night I created quite a stir on my facebook page www.facebook.com/VeganTasmania if you're interested. I just shared a picture of some "cancerous" meat and how it still ends up on plates. It got a lot of people angry and upset and the commented saying what right do I have to post something like that on their page. Of course I said facebook doesn't work that way, I posted it on my own page I'm not shoving what I believe down your throats in anyway. blah blah...

Anyway to cut a long story short I found it rather upsetting that just by posting a picture people still saw me as some crazy vegan being really aggressive in my approach and preaching. That's not at all what it was as I'd posted this to a vegan community page haha. But it seems that some people no matter how peaceful your approach, if you disagree with them they will automatically think you're being aggressive.
ReplyQuote

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
8 13 Jul 2012
KirstyGirl said:
Last night I created quite a stir on my facebook page www.facebook.com/VeganTasmania if you're interested. I just shared a picture of some "cancerous" meat and how it still ends up on plates. It got a lot of people angry and upset and the commented saying what right do I have to post something like that on their page. Of course I said facebook doesn't work that way, I posted it on my own page I'm not shoving what I believe down your throats in anyway. blah blah...

Anyway to cut a long story short I found it rather upsetting that just by posting a picture people still saw me as some crazy vegan being really aggressive in my approach and preaching. That's not at all what it was as I'd posted this to a vegan community page haha. But it seems that some people no matter how peaceful your approach, if you disagree with them they will automatically think you're being aggressive.
Oh yes! I love how being 'Vegan', 'Vegetarian' or 'supportive of animal rights' makes you a crazy person. I'm currently having a debate with my own brother about how what i'm doing is 'so pointless'. So if someone doesn't think like me or have the same lifestyle as me, then they're crazy? Hmm... To me the only crazy people are the meateaters that know the kind of suffering they're causing, but don't care!
ReplyQuote

Vegan all the way Vegan all the way WA Posts: 44
9 18 Jul 2012
You are no crazy person.  You must have been the most compassionate person to adopt a cruelty life-style.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au