Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Who is your rock and who is your hard place?

Who supports you? Who puts you down?

1 - 7 of 7 posts

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
1 13 Jul 2012
I'm interested to know if people have family/friends etc. in their lives that support their Vegan/Vegetarianism or Animal Rights Acitivsm, especially if they aren't into it themselves.

I had a big argument with my older brother this morning, he felt obliged to tell me that my love of animals and fight for their rights is stupid and not ever going to change anything. I'm currently not speaking ot him and don't know if i will again for some time, he said some pretty awful off the bar stuff.

Then this afternoon my Mum (who is a meat-eater) dropped by with some groceries and said she'd like to cook me dinner, she found a new Vegan curry recipe on the internet and wanted to try it out. It was delicious, everyone had some, me being the only Vegan there, it was wonderful happy

Stories everyone?
ReplyQuote

vegiepete vegiepete SA Posts: 147
2 13 Jul 2012
my rock was the love of my life, but she is not in my life anymore but, i will keep the life she has taught me until i die..the hard place are most of my friends who laugh and make jokes about changing my ways for her and my new found voice in caring for the welbeing of animals
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
3 14 Jul 2012
.after i went vegan - 2 of my 3 sisters went vegetarian and still are.

My mum if she visits will bring vegan friendly chips & lollies and if im at hers they will cook a vegan meal for everyone and last time mum made vegan scones & cake.

Those who still eat meat (Mum, dad , brother, sister and parents partners) dont really have an issue with the way us vegos eat.

Dad doesnt really like it and he'll make little jokes every now and then but hes pretty good with it  to. I spose they all really love animals too so they know im doing a good thing, but just arnt prepared to do it too....
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
4 17 Jul 2012
My Rock is Animal's Australia. My hard place is those surrounding me as currently I'm in a rural area full of farmers etc with dead solid morals on why they should eat meat.
ReplyQuote

Truc Truc VIC Posts: 85
5 18 Jul 2012
My rock would be my mum and siblings. I remember ages ago when I was about to eat meat my little brother said how much I will regret it afterwards and started talking about how they were killed. Whereas my mum doesn't allow me to eat meat because she said it's bad for my asthma and health. Plus I don't want any after watching videos and reading about where the food comes from which is 3 years ago.

My dad is against me being a vegetarian, thinks I'm too young and thinks I need proper food. This is also due to my little brother having a slim body, he thinks he won't gain any weight because of vegetarian food lol
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 18 Jul 2012
My rock would be my boyfriend. He's a meat eater and comes from an extended family of farmers, and yet when I told him I wanted to start being more active about animal rights and stop tip-toeing around it for all my meat-loving friends, he completely supported and even encouraged me. He's always willing to try my vegan food, to come out to vegetarian restaurants with me. I'm even making vegan shepherd's pie for him, his housemate and I tonight.

My hard place is almost all my other friends, my brothers, and to a lesser (and well meaning) extent, my grandparents.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
7 18 Jul 2012
vegiepete said:
my rock was the love of my life, but she is not in my life anymore but, i will keep the life she has taught me until i die..the hard place are most of my friends who laugh and make jokes about changing my ways for her and my new found voice in caring for the welbeing of animals
Don't listen to them. They'll get over it eventually. They always do. Even the ones making them get bored of the "Native American word for 'bad hunter'" jokes after a while.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au