Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

baby names

should i worry about the Irish pronunciation?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Neenzi Neenzi WA Posts: 94
1 25 Jul 2012
I want to name my baby boy Ailbhe (Alby) but it is an Irish name and a unisex name that is pronounced al-va, I want it pronounced Al-by. I have fallen in love with this name and would like peoples thoughts.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
2 25 Jul 2012
I like the name, but maybe just spelt Alby? Eaiser for people to read and all that happy
ReplyQuote

3 25 Jul 2012
sophxx said:
I like the name, but maybe just spelt Alby? Eaiser for people to read and all that happy
Thanks for your thoughts  happy
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
4 25 Jul 2012
I agree the spelling is all for pronunciation's sake so if to change the way in which you want to speak it, then you're making a new name essentially, so it should be spelt differently anyway happy if that makes sense.

Just because a word has been used before doesn't make it imortal and making new word sounds is not beyond you, so a new name is in order happy

Albi  ? Albie?

If you look in name data bases, the original name is Christian and then you have a myriad spellings of the same thing and THEN also in different languages.

My name is Salvatore in Greek (Samuel)...

But this is simply because Christianity has a strange hold on the english language and almost strives to OWN it ALL.

So just think how you want your new name to be written :3
And the origins will always be history (there).

^_____ ^
ReplyQuote

vegiepete vegiepete SA Posts: 147
5 25 Jul 2012
just go with what u feel...i have an uncle and we call him alby....for a young child  i think its cool
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
6 25 Jul 2012
I like the Irish spelling, but not so much the Irish pronunciation. So if I were you I'd just stick to spelling it 'Alby', otherwise it might create confusion.
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
7 25 Jul 2012
I guess all these answers are ok...it's up to you but there are so many people that have to explain how their name is pronounced so what's another right.. If u don't mind telling people and saying it a thousand times then cool do it how you want it happy p.s. what a gorgeous name!!
ReplyQuote

8 26 Jul 2012
Thankyou all for taking the time to respond
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au