Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Yabby/crayfish nets

Are they illegal?

1 - 5 of 5 posts

StephyA StephyA VIC Posts: 329
1 3 Aug 2012
I have heard that those net traps are completely  illegal in Victoria but I can't seem to find anything online. Does anyone know the truth? I know that is certain places in NSW and Canberra you can't use them.
There is a vintage store selling one in their shop and if they are illegal I wanted to inform them.
Either way they are horrible. I read a story about 4 platypuses dying in one which was illegally placed in a river in Canberra.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 4 Aug 2012
Name of store? I tried to look it up?
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
3 4 Aug 2012
"Under the Fisheries Act 1995 offenders detected, possessing or using an opera house net in or close to inland waters can be issued with a penalty infringement notice or charged under summons to appear in court and face a maximum fine of $11,300. Vessels and vehicles may also be seized. Under the Wildlife Act 1975 the maximum penalty for killing a platypus is $5,500 and/or six months imprisonment."

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au

I remember reading about one of them even catching a blue billed duck once. I'd imagine they'd catch water rats all the time too.
ReplyQuote

StephyA StephyA VIC Posts: 329
4 7 Aug 2012
Thanks Andrew! So I guess it's not illegal to sell them? Is there any legal way you can use them? Either way I think it is pretty horrible to be selling one.
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
5 8 Aug 2012
StephyA said:
Thanks Andrew! So I guess it's not illegal to sell them? Is there any legal way you can use them? Either way I think it is pretty horrible to be selling one.
I'm not sure but I don't think it would be illegal to sell them. They can be used in the other states but there's size restriction on the openings so they'd be easy to get if you wanted one anyway.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au