Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

White sugar techinically not vegan?

Book - Skinny B*tch - Page 28

1 - 9 of 9 posts

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
1 6 Aug 2012
I've been reading this 'Skinny B*tch' book, it has a lot of great info on eating healthy and even as a Vegan i'm finding it very helpful.

On page 28 they describe the process white sugar goes through when being manufactured. The last stage of this is filtering, commonly through charred animal bones. 0_0

I don't know about you guys but that's pretty much put me off white sugar.
ReplyQuote

Bondi Tom Bondi Tom WA Posts: 79
2 6 Aug 2012
GoldAutumn said:
I've been reading this 'Skinny B*tch' book, it has a lot of great info on eating healthy and even as a Vegan i'm finding it very helpful.

On page 28 they describe the process white sugar goes through when being manufactured. The last stage of this is filtering, commonly through charred animal bones. 0_0

I don't know about you guys but that's pretty much put me off white sugar.
I believe this method of processing white sugar only happens in the U.S. and not here in Australia.

Either way I still use Raw Sugar for anything I cook or coffee etc.

Here are a few links:

http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=78

http://gentleworld.org/keeping-animal-cruelty-out-of-sugar/
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
3 6 Aug 2012
I believe that is only in America, so be wary of things imported from other countries..
ReplyQuote

4 6 Aug 2012
Thank goodness! I only use raw suagr in coffee and what-not but my partner buys white sugar and i'll use it if i'm out of mine.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
5 6 Aug 2012
GoldAutumn said:
I was going to read that book tonight! I read one page and I cracked up!
ReplyQuote

6 6 Aug 2012
Kelsey1 said:
GoldAutumn said:
I started reading it today, i'm on page 70, it's absolutely fantastic! I think if meat eaters read it they would go Vegan instantly!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 6 Aug 2012
Yeah do not worry! In Australia and the UK that process is very dated I don't think we've used bone char as filters for well over 60 years. Steer clear if in the states though!
ReplyQuote

le gabrielle le gabrielle QLD Posts: 214
8 6 Aug 2012
GoldAutumn said:
Kelsey1 said:
GoldAutumn said:
I started reading it today, i'm on page 70, it's absolutely fantastic! I think if meat eaters read it they would go Vegan instantly!
Incidentally, I was a semi-vegetarian before reading that book. Then BAM, vegan ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Miss. Jones Miss. Jones VIC Posts: 242
9 7 Aug 2012
I have seen this discussion before.  To be on the safe side stick with CSR sugar. cool
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au