Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pig Farming Awareness Campaign, Canberra

Who's going?

1 - 1 of 1 posts

Lil Lil ACT Posts: 11
1 8 Aug 2012
Has everyone heard about the investigation on Wally's Piggery? There's a brief article about it on Animals Australia's website. For those of you who might not of heard, Wally's piggery is located in NSW,  about 20 minutes from Canberra. Animal Liberation activists went undercover over a period of 2 months and filmed the horrifically cruel and  barbaric practices that occur there. It's absolutely unbelievable and sickening. I haven't been able to sleep properly since watching the footage.

Jess Ferry, Co-President of Animal Liberation ACT said:
"Hidden cameras filming over several weeks revealed sick and dying animals, workers throwing and kicking piglets and beating sows, and infestations of flies around and on the pigs. In the slaughter room, the footage showed the owner of the piggery smashing his pigs with a sledgehammer before cutting their throat and leaving them to die in agony over six minutes, sometimes returning to use the knife or sledgehammer again. No stunning device was used, and workers were seen to be drinking from beer bottles during their shift in the slaughter room."

There's a petition at http://www.aussiepigs.com.au/ that you all should sign to help close down this hell hole. There is literally hundreds of photos on the website that are truly awful. If you think you can handle it, there's undercover footage on there too, one goes for 13 minutes and one goes for a whopping 42 minutes.

Animal Liberation ACT have organised a public rally at Garema Place, Canberra this Saturday from 10am. There's been a huge response and it should be really powerful. Here's the Facebook link to the event: http://www.facebook.com/events/409114459125329/410217815681660/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

If any of you are in Canberra, come along!

I don't have a great deal of faith in the government.. we all know about the ongoing live export debate all too well. BUT I think every little bit helps. A little effort by many individuals goes a long way. Like the Facebook page, post the link, share some of the photos, even write a letter, do whatever you can to get the word out there!
Aside from Facebook, here's a list of relevant contacts you can direct your letters and comments to:

Food Authority:
Telephone: (8:30am - 5:30pm AEST on all NSW business days)
1300 552 406 (local call Australia-wide), or
+61 (02) 9741 4850 (outside Australia)
Email:

Goulburn RSCPA
0412 475 428
RSPCA National number (02) 9770 7555

DPI
Department of Primary Industries:
Phone: 02 6391 3100 (International +61 2 6391 3100)

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry - Senator Joe Ludwig

Prime Minister - Julia Gillard
http://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm

The Minister for Primary Industries, Katrina Hodgkinson/ member for Burrinjuck
Freecall: 1800 002580
Phone: 6226 3311
Fax: 6226 3345
Email:

I am vegan so naturally this is an issue close to my heart. Most of my friends, family and colleagues aren't, but they are all just as outraged and saddened by this. Some are considering taking meat off their plate for good.

There's an article in The Canberra Times that made me quite mad and didn't fill me with much hope: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/police-rspca-probe-cruelty-at-piggery-20120805-23o7s.html

I think it's ridiculous that they refer to it as 'alleged cruelty'. The media attention is great, but it will take time and it's still not clear as to what will happen to the pigs in the meantime. There's responses from RSPCA NSW on the event page which aren't overly promising.

I just am just astounded that this has been going on for god knows how long and we had no idea. How many other factory farms are there in Australia that are abusing animals like this?! I realise that all factory farms are bad, but methods of slaughter like this are inexcusable and appalling. Pigs are intelligent, loving and gentle creatures that I view with them with the same amount of respect as much as any other animal. Looks shouldn't determine how we treat an animal. All are equal, they all feel pain and experience fear. None of them want to die. Sows yearn to be with their young, to love, protect and care for them. Everyone wants to be free.
What happened to 'The Five Freedoms' for Animals'?

This is my first forum post and boy is it long! To any one who managed to read this far, I'd love for you to comment happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au