Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Easy vegan party food for omnivores

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Mama_Bear Mama_Bear SA Posts: 13
1 19 Aug 2012
Hey all,
It's my sons first birthday in a couple of months, he and I will be the only vegans there and our family don't understand the 'extreme' vegan diet (pfft, don't get me started on that)
I want to serve 'traditional party foods' like mini pizzas, pasties, spring rolls etc.  that taste similiar to the real thing but are vegan. I don't normally eat foods like that so I'm not really sure what to get/what is good... confused
I'd prefer it to be as quick and easy as possible (so pre-made frozen foods where possible or very quick and easy to make foods) as I'll be pushed for time but it still needs to be budget friendly!
I'm also going to be making cupcakes instead of a big cake, with a sugar free icing for my sons cupcake. Anyone know of a good sugar free icing recipe? And vegan/all natural food colouring?
Also - anyone know some good healthy recipes for dips? I don't want my son eating the 'junky' party foods. I have a good hummus recipe that he likes but looking for something different too.
If anyone knows any good sites for this kind of thing, please link me.
Sorry it is so long, hope someone can help! Thanks. happy beaverhug
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
2 19 Aug 2012
Some suggestions for easy party foods:
* Woolworths vegetable mini spring rolls
* Frys nuggets (buy from Woolworths) served with sweet and sour sauce
* Borgs puff pastry with Sanitarium or Frys sausages inside to make sausage rolls.
* Sanitarium hot dogs on little toothpicks with tomato dipping sauce
* Nutmeatballs - recipe from my blog happy http://the-vegesaurus.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/nutmeatball-sub.html
* Lentil gravy pies - http://the-vegesaurus.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/lentil-and-gravy-pies.html
* Vegetable dumplings from Woolworths, I think the brand was 'Crazy Dragon'
* Syndian lentil/pumpkin bites (in the freezer isle at Coles)
* Vegetable pasties - I just fry some onion, garlic, diced carrot, peas and corn. Then I add some potato cut into small cubes with about a cup of vegetable broth, and cook until the potato is soft. Then add some mixed herbs, pepper and salt to flavour. Put the mixture into some Borgs puff pastry and seal the edges of the pastry with a fork. Cook in oven until golden brown.

For icing there was a recipe for agave frosting I think in the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World recipe book. It also has a recipe for agave nectar cupcakes.

Guacamole is great with tortilla/corn chips. I just make mine with some mashed avocado mixed with a little lime juice, cumin, salt and black pepper.
You can also get this dip from Woolworths/Coles: http://www.blackswan.com.au/index.php?pageID=14419&action=productcatalogue&prodcat_id=6080&prod_id=40901§ionID=13765

Hopefully this helps happy
ReplyQuote

vegiepete vegiepete SA Posts: 147
3 19 Aug 2012
hello mama bear...if u go on facebook and type in Let Them Eat...this is a vegan/vege cafe but they also post recipes for different dishes  plus u can buy vegan friendly vege spring rolls from iga a nd foodland..but check this place out and im sure ull find some cool stuff to make
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
5 20 Aug 2012
Linda McCartney sausage rolls are vegan and got the omni approval from my partner and his housemate. They're party size, too. I'm pretty sure that woolies sells a spring roll/samosa type
cocktail pack that's vegan friendly, too.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 20 Aug 2012
Make this baked beans and use it instead of proper nachos topping on original doritos, just eliminate the feta of course http://www.goodchefbadchef.com.au/recipes/263 and add whatever else you like, put it in a preheated 180 degree oven for around 8 minutes, delicious! Oh, and add the sugar to the baked beans when you add the oregano etc, good chef bad chef tends to leave bits of info out of their recipes to con you into watching it, but it's usually easy to guess what they've left out.
This is a realllyyy good vegan friendly food, and it tastes naughty but it is actually rather healthy! happy
ReplyQuote

Mama_Bear Mama_Bear SA Posts: 13
7 22 Aug 2012
Thank you all so much for the brilliant suggestions!  clap
This really helps me a lot, you guys are awesome!  love
ReplyQuote

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).