Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Recently vegetarian, recently aware!

The annoyance dealing with uneducated meat-eaters.

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Braeden Braeden VIC Posts: 4
1 10 Sep 2012
So, I've 'tried' to be vegetarian in the past and it never really worked up until recently, only now I realise I was never really trying at all. I no longer understand the typical comments of 'it's too difficult', or 'they were made to be eaten' or many of the other ignorant and ill-informed comments us as vegetarians/vegans must deal with everyday. How can it be 'too hard' to stop eating a life? It is such a cop out excuse. I'm sure cannabils used that exact same reason thousands of years ago. And the general, made to be eaten? I'm sorry, who decided exactly that they were made to be eaten? Sure as heck wasn't me!

Whilst back in the cavemen days it may have been necessary to eat meat, we no longer need to live in this archaic, barbaric way. Mordern medicine has proved that we will live healthier and longer if on a meat-free diet, not to mention the environmental benefits! Along with modern advancements, it's never been easier to go vegetarian. We have so many alternatives!
So I was wondering guys, who else is sick of all these pathetic, uneducated comments dealt with daily? How do you guys react to these comments?

-Braeden.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 10 Sep 2012
Oh yes. "Why are you vegetarian?" "It must be SOOO hard"! Thats all I hear when I just bring up the TOPIC!
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 10 Sep 2012
It really gets on my nerves when people bring up a whole bunch of myths about vegetarianism. One girl was totally surprised and said "vegans don't like to have husbands" and all that crap. But, at the same table there was a boy who said that I was doing a really good thing, so that made me happy.
ReplyQuote

4 10 Sep 2012
Actually, that's true! I neglected to mention the amount of people who praised me or were proud of me, I really appreciated that! happy
ReplyQuote

sammstein sammstein NSW Posts: 20
5 10 Sep 2012
i typically get pissed off...because most people argue that what they r doing and supporting is 'OK'...
so i tend to lose respect for them and have nothing much to do with them...
which is becoming more and more difficult because the arguments r coming from 'close' 'good' friends too...

...i think I NEED ADVICE on how to deal with that.... lol
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 10 Sep 2012
Braeden said:
So, I've 'tried' to be vegetarian in the past and it never really worked up until recently, only now I realise I was never really trying at all. I no longer understand the typical comments of 'it's too difficult', or 'they were made to be eaten' or many of the other ignorant and ill-informed comments us as vegetarians/vegans must deal with everyday. How can it be 'too hard' to stop eating a life? It is such a cop out excuse. I'm sure cannabils used that exact same reason thousands of years ago. And the general, made to be eaten? I'm sorry, who decided exactly that they were made to be eaten? Sure as heck wasn't me!

Whilst back in the cavemen days it may have been necessary to eat meat, we no longer need to live in this archaic, barbaric way. Mordern medicine has proved that we will live healthier and longer if on a meat-free diet, not to mention the environmental benefits! Along with modern advancements, it's never been easier to go vegetarian. We have so many alternatives!
So I was wondering guys, who else is sick of all these pathetic, uneducated comments dealt with daily? How do you guys react to these comments?

-Braeden.
Hey,
I understand your frustration, but note how you mentioned "recently vegetarian?" Surely, you of all people understand what it's like to not be aware, these are go to responses for those people. Alot of these people aren't being deliberately ignorant, I know when I went vego, I went into some form of depression and self loathing for not being informed of this earlier, and I didn't deserve that.
You need to keep this in mind, and the fact that, if we just cast those people off as pathetic, we have no chance towards opening their minds and making a difference. peace
ReplyQuote

7 10 Sep 2012
I don't understand, because just because I wasn't vegetarian, I was never opposed to the idea.
My girlfriends been vegetarian for six months and I was always very supportive of her, and always keen to try new vegetarian foods with her.

I just wish more people would be more receptive to the ideas of change. Something that we're not used to for the benefit of others.
ReplyQuote

Cailyn.Maree Cailyn.Maree QLD Posts: 2
8 10 Sep 2012
I'm always getting comments like this from people at school, but i usually just ignore them or tell them it isn't that hard, I've had a few arguments about it but usually all works out in the end and if they are mature they learn that it's your choice. but CONGRATS on the vegetarianism ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Bonnie1 Bonnie1 NSW Posts: 2
9 10 Sep 2012
I LOVE this, and yes while they are annoying with thier arrogant and rude comments sometimes, you just have to suck it up and say Ill mind my buisness, and you mind yours, even though I know you just want to start a fight when they say stupid remarks like that! Ignoring is how i handle it happy
ReplyQuote

Debaybay Debaybay QLD Posts: 39
10 10 Sep 2012
I almost had a very heated discussion with my brother over coffee the other day (and we NEVER fight), and surprise surprise we were talking about health and different eating lifestyles. Being a vegetarian, I gave my view on how I have never felt or looked better in my life, that I rarely get colds, my skin is glowing and I NEVER see the doctor, and that I attributed it to my diet. He would have none of it though..he is so fixed in his ways and said that there wasn't any scientific evidence on vegetarian diets. He just assumed that though..I have read hundreds of papers and books on the benefits of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, but he just couldn't accept it. He argued to me that he is fit and healthy, but he has a skin condition and seeing the doctor for it..is that true health?

Sometimes, people just aren't receptive to new ideas and change. And for us, we have to accept that they are at their own stage in life and on their own journey. We can be a positive influence by leading the way and being role models happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au