Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Would you not buy something if it was owned my Loreal?

Even if the product itself is 'cruelty free'?

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Seraah Seraah SA Posts: 11
1 20 Sep 2012
I know many people have stopped buying Stella McCartney perfumes because she was bought by Loreal. Her perfumes are cruelty free and vegan however.

I have heard some people argue that the reason they won't is because they don't want any money going towards Loreal. I have been thinking about this trying to figure out where I stand, and then I realised, buying a Stella McCartney is no different to many other things vegans buy.

When someone goes to coles or woolworths and buys some tofu, tempeh or vegetables, they too are putting their dollar into a company that funds and supports animal cruelty - the meat and dairy industry. The more money put into these businesses, the more they have to buy meat. If we go into a restaurant that has non vegan options as well (which I often do with friends and family members who are omni's), their restaurants also contribute to the meat and dairy industry, our dollar there is being used that way again. I thought of many more examples as well, and I don't see the difference - can you see the difference?

But by buying Stella, or the tofu from coles, we show the big companies what there is a demand for. We want cruelty free meals. We want cruelty free perfume, and when we support the designer, we are directly support growth of vegan cruelty free products on the market as well. It's a catch-22.

So do you think it's still ok to support the vegan designers and products like Stella (Coles) - Why or why not? I would love to hear peoples opinions as I would like to get a new perfume soon and I'm undecided on the issue.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
4 20 Sep 2012
What does Loreal do thats ticking some people off?
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
5 20 Sep 2012
Well, I guess it depends on the store and brand.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
6 21 Sep 2012
I have thought about this a lot and am still conflicted.
Isn't it really just the same as buying a vegan or veggie option from a company that also sells animal products? Which I am sure most of us do on a daily basis.

In saying that though, I do prefer to support Australian companies who are 100% cruelty free. There is a wide selection of products available at my local shopping centre so I have the choice to not buy from larger companies that test on animals.
But if a vegan or vegetarian was to buy something not tested on animals that's parent company did test on animals, then it wouldn't really concern me.
I think there are bigger issues to worry about.
ReplyQuote

7 21 Sep 2012
Kelsey1 said:
What does Loreal do thats ticking some people off?
They test their products on animals.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
8 21 Sep 2012
Buying from Coles or Woolworths is completely different.

They don't own the food brand. They are supplying the food. Yes, some money is going to them, but that ultimately means that they then have to go and restock more of the foods we want. So our money is then going back to these Cruelty Free companies anyway when Coles and Woolworths buy more of their stock.

With this perfume, Loreal, the money is going straight back to a disgusting animal testing company. They are giving a false idea that they are cruelty free when they aren't. And if anyone was smart enough and cared enough, they would not have given their perfume rights to an evil company. In the end, this vegan company only wanted money, and that is disgusting.
ReplyQuote

9 21 Sep 2012
^ What about buying from a company that makes both animal and vegan/vegetarian products? Isn't that really just the same thing?
Like for example if you buy from Vitasoy, they are a vegetarian company but they're owned by Lion Nathan who own a mass amount of Dairy companies like Dairy Farmers, Farmers Union etc.
So there's a good chance that some of peoples money is going into these dairy companies when they buy vitasoy products.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
10 21 Sep 2012
Look at the other side of the coin though - if we don't buy ve*an options, non-vegan and non-vegatarian options will become more popular; and those companies will think it's still okay to be a part of animal cruelty since their ve*an options don't have high sales.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au