Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

buying pups

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  

lyds lyds NSW Posts: 300
1 8 Oct 2012
Hello everyone C:

this may seem silly but i just realized.. when you buy a puppy/kitten/whatever how do you overcome the horrible feeling of tearing them apart from their family sisters brothers mother and father, im in tears because i just realized that you are taking them away from their family.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 8 Oct 2012
Buying animals does more than just rip them away from their families. But adopted animals are usually fine.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
3 9 Oct 2012
Unleashed Admin
If you adopt from a shelter then you'll be giving an animal in need a loving home happy
http://www.unleashed.org.au/blog/pet+overpopulation
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
4 9 Oct 2012
If anyone is looking to adopt, this is a really good app developed by a couple of uni students, who made it for free ... because they're awesome guys.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/petrescue/id504465150?mt=8
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
5 9 Oct 2012
I recommend dogs rescue SA, I'm pretty sure they have partners interstate, and it's usually $390 or so for a dog, cheaper for a cat. They come desexed and everything, the workers check out your home and make sure it's suitable, and give you a two week to a month trial first to make sure you're certain. Really really genuine people as the majority are volunteers, and they always hold stools at places like the royal adelaide show. If you're ever in SA Aberfoyle pet supplies has a new store that sells pups but they are oned up for adoption, and you go through basically the exact same process, no impulse buys, really really good people to support. And if in doubt, you can always contact Oscar's LAw to see their recommendations. All these places I'm pretty sure have facebook (my mum has a profile, I don't but I see her on there) for you to check out and message if interested. peace
ReplyQuote

lyds lyds NSW Posts: 300
6 9 Oct 2012
Kelsey1 said:
Buying animals does more than just rip them away from their families. But adopted animals are usually fine.
not from a pet shop but from a reputable breeder is what i was talking about.
adoption would always be a first option to me but i was just interested as i know some people who were looking at buying a pup from a reputable breeder and just clicked in my head that your taking them away from their family
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 9 Oct 2012
lyds said:
Kelsey1 said:
adoption would always be a first option to me but i was just interested as i know some people who were looking at buying a pup from a reputable breeder and just clicked in my head that your taking them away from their family
Buying from a breeder is never a good thing. It keeps the breeding happening (generally insest btw). There are literally too many animals already in existence for the number of people that want them. Every time you buy from a breeder you're technically killing a shelter animal. Please only adopt.
ReplyQuote

8 9 Oct 2012
lyds said:
Kelsey1 said:
it depends on how old the pup is.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
9 9 Oct 2012
All my animals are rescues except one of my cats. He came from a highly reputable breeder, and was 14 weeks when I got him. By that time, he was weaned, and pretty independent. Not spending a whole lot of time with his mum, despite living in the same home. His sisters flew off before him, but another sister stayed, and neither really cared about it. He seemed to only want to be around me when I got him anyway, didn't really care about looking for his 'family'.

Having said that, don't go to a breeder when there are lots of cats and dogs in shelters! If you're looking for a pup, and you're an active person, I can't recommend Australian Working Dog Rescue Inc enough. I'm fostering a pup for them at the moment, who has just found the most amazing new home!
ReplyQuote

10 9 Oct 2012
Maggie said:
All my animals are rescues except one of my cats. He came from a highly reputable breeder, and was 14 weeks when I got him. By that time, he was weaned, and pretty independent. Not spending a whole lot of time with his mum, despite living in the same home. His sisters flew off before him, but another sister stayed, and neither really cared about it. He seemed to only want to be around me when I got him anyway, didn't really care about looking for his 'family'.

Having said that, don't go to a breeder when there are lots of cats and dogs in shelters! If you're looking for a pup, and you're an active person, I can't recommend Australian Working Dog Rescue Inc enough. I'm fostering a pup for them at the moment, who has just found the most amazing new home!
You can foster guide dogs too, train them up then at 12 months they are tested and given to a much needing person. Then you can get another one! Permanent puppy stage! :3
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au