Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Warning about Quorn Vegetarian products

Important please read!!

1 - 10 of 36 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Lanna Lanna QLD Posts: 17
1 30 Oct 2012
My mum and I have recently become vegetarian. We were in Woolies one day when we spotted a brand of vegetarian foods called 'Quorn'. We bought some of it assuming that it would be good and it was!! We were SO excited to have found such a massive range of veggie friendly foods that tasted amazing and were "high in fiber and protein". But I warn you!! This IS NOT the holy grail of vegetarian foods!!!! After the second time we had eaten the 'veggie mince' my Mum was violently ill and off sick for about 3 days, but not wanting to believe it could be the Quorn foods we had just eaten, we assumed it was a stomach bug. Last night we ate Quorn sausages and about 3 hours later both my Mum and I were violently ill!!! I won't go into details because it was disgusting, but I know that I have never been as sick as that in my life. It's the next day and I still don't feel very well...

I just wanted to warn everyone out there that Quorn products are not what they seem. They say that the Mycoprotein is perfectly safe and closely related to mushrooms but it's a lie. It's actually mold grown in giant vats in English laboratories!!! There have been hundreds and hundreds of reports of people having allergic reactions to Quorn products and the CSPI has been trying to get Quorn products banned for years. Don't get me wrong, some people are fine when they eat it. But now that Quorn is in Australia I think we have a right to know what we eat and that the mold can have serious side effects and cause allergic reactions like vomiting, diarrhea, gum swelling, closing of the throat and maybe even death. Sounds dramatic but it's true!! There's so much to say about what it is and how the company is deceiving consumers, so if you want to read about all the details I'll include some links!!!!!

I know I was shocked to learn the truth about Quorn products and I hope that this post will help!!!  megaphone megaphone

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/victims.html
http://cspinet.org/new/201009231.html
http://rontlog.hubpages.com/hub/Food-Allergies-Quorn
ReplyQuote

noddysmiley noddysmiley SA Posts: 75
2 30 Oct 2012
That's really awful for you! My whole family has been eating a range of quorn products for years with no complaints. They're so tasty I often serve them to my friends as a way of introducing them to vegetarian foods. My only issues have been that I wonder where the egg comes from that they use to hold the protein together and I prefer to buy Australian made.

I suppose it's up to people to try things themselves and see what reaction they have. I've had some funny reactions to things that other people eat quite happily as well happy
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
3 30 Oct 2012
Yay for becoming veg!!
I don't eat egg so Quorn products were always out for me. Maybe you could try Fry's products instead? Also sanitarium do some nice snags and other veg alternatives..happy
ReplyQuote

Lanna Lanna QLD Posts: 17
4 30 Oct 2012
Thanks!! (: Yeah I have seen the Fry's Products in the cold section so I'll definitely try them!!! Sanitarium are sooo good ecstatic
ReplyQuote

NickM NickM NSW Posts: 71
5 30 Oct 2012
I'v only eaten Quorn mince once.. but it was weird. I don't like having to pretend that I still need to eat food that looks like animal mince.

I only ate it with spag bol, but to be honest I prefer my mashed chickpeas in my spag bol. It's cheaper and doesn't look like animal mince. yay.

All the best happy
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
6 30 Oct 2012
I have a freezer full of quorn now...
ReplyQuote

Fiona from Australia Fiona from Australia VIC Posts: 1
7 1 Dec 2013
I have also had a severe reaction twice to KUORN food. At first I thought it was perhaps another food source which brought on sudden and extreme pain and vomiting but the second time, it had only been the Kuorn food consumed and the reaction time was the same. The food had been carefully stored and cooked.
The second time I experienced a reaction to the food it was far worse.
It necessitated an ambulance being called and an injection administered to stop the severe vomiting and muscle contractions. Feelings of faintness, dizziness were disconcerting. Constant vomiting and diarrhea were experienced as well as an aftermath of headaches and the need to be in bed for another two days.
ReplyQuote

gene gene Australia Posts: 1
8 11 Dec 2013
Hi, I have been using quorn products for about ten years and have never had or heard of any problems, some people have an intolerance to mushrooms so certainly avoid quorn otherwise I cant see what the fuss is about
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
9 12 Dec 2013
First if you had an allergic reaction to a product... You shouldnt be aiming to ban it... Would you ban peanuts just because some people are allergic, no.  Oh and do you know what mushrooms are they are a fungi which is a type of mould... So what is the deal with them making the protein from mould... . It's the same thing... Do you usually have an allergic reation it mushrooms or mould arroud the home or anything like that..? Also have you contacted quorn to see why this product is having this effect? If the causes are due to allergic reactions whether it be by mushrooms or another product they use in either the manufacturing or in the product its self then I suggest maybe put a petition together and ask for labeling saying that may cause allergic reaction in some cases..due to bla bla. Hope you find out what it was?
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
10 12 Dec 2013
Just realized something... Panacilan is made from mould also... Are you an your mother allergic to panacilan?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au