Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

article in the SMH

1 - 8 of 8 posts

emjjj emjjj NSW Posts: 16
1 10 Nov 2009
hi!

i didn't really quite know which forum to put this in, so i'll just stick it here.  i found this article just then - i thought it'd be interesting to read:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/labelling/2009/11/10/1257615027124.html

well...at least the lying is being recognised, i suppose  confused
ReplyQuote

Vegetation Vegetation NSW Posts: 349
2 10 Nov 2009
emjjj said:
hi!

i didn't really quite know which forum to put this in, so i'll just stick it here.  i found this article just then - i thought it'd be interesting to read:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/labelling/2009/11/10/1257615027124.html

well...at least the lying is being recognised, i suppose  confused
Hmm definitely! I didn't even realize some of that stuff (like the fact that bred free range meant that they only spent the first few weeks of life with some kind of freedom).
ReplyQuote

Jojo Jojo VIC Posts: 175
3 10 Nov 2009
[/quote]Hmm definitely! I didn't even realize some of that stuff (like the fact that bred free range meant that they only spent the first few weeks of life with some kind of freedom).

Chickens are only alive for a few weeks anyway before they are killed!
ReplyQuote

4 10 Nov 2009
Jojo said:
Hmm definitely! I didn't even realize some of that stuff (like the fact that bred free range meant that they only spent the first few weeks of life with some kind of freedom).

Chickens are only alive for a few weeks anyway before they are killed!
...which is a bad thing, yes?
ReplyQuote

Welsh Welsh VIC Posts: 61
5 10 Nov 2009
Wow, I didn't realise some of those labels were that misleading o__o
ReplyQuote

6 10 Nov 2009
Welsh said:
Wow, I didn't realise some of those labels were that misleading o__o
i know right?!  when i was younger (15/16), my little sister and i would bake a lot of cakes and we always bought the "free range" eggs because we figured the chickens got to run around and live happy lives.  i'm kind of torn between whether we should spoil that notion for little kids and let them know what's going on or spare them the horror of battery farming...
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
7 11 Nov 2009
I saw on a cosmetic product, "this finished product has not been tested on animals." Of course that meant the individual ingredients may well have been.
ReplyQuote

Jojo Jojo VIC Posts: 175
8 12 Nov 2009
Yes its definitely a bad thing they're only alive a few weeks.  But I also doubt that many would actually make it much beyond that with the way they are bred and the terrible conditions they are kept in.  In fact a lot of them don't even make it that long as they're so crippled they can't reach water or food.  I doubt many people realise that the chicken they're eating is actually a 6-8 week old baby.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au