Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Cats peeing on our couch!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Bondi Tom Bondi Tom WA Posts: 79
1 17 Nov 2012
My fiance and I have two adopted cats that we got from a cat shelter around 9 months ago. They are about 11 months old and they seem to have an issues with peeing on our couches.
We keep their kitty litters extremely clean and they have a kitty litter each but they still continue to pee on our couches. It has got to the point where my fiance has to keep them in the bathroom/laundry whenever she goes out, instead of letting them roam the house.
We've also tried cleaning our couches with bi-carb/vinegar and using an anti cat pee spray.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to help us out?
ReplyQuote

JessBrazil JessBrazil VIC Posts: 97
2 17 Nov 2012
We adopted a 6 month cat a few years ago who had been abused and she use to pee on our couch and have accidents all the time. We knew it was just because she was traumatized but it still drove us mental.
The only way we got her to stop peeing on the couch was by getting a new one. I think even though it was clean she had begun to think of it as the place to go.
Her accidents slowly stopped over time as her anxiety got better (still took about 2 years). We made sure to reassure her everything was ok and give her extra cuddles. And if she did have an accident we wouldn't yell at her or let her know we were annoyed, just silently pick her up and put her in the tray and pat her and tell her she was good whenever she went in there or even looked at it.
I've also known other cats to pee on couches and have accidents a lot due to UTI's. So it might be worth going to the vet and them checking?
ReplyQuote

cassie2 cassie2 VIC Posts: 212
3 17 Nov 2012
is it possible it could be a dominance thing where each cat is trying to prove who is boss?
I have never actually owned a cat but when our dog stayed with our grandparents who had a tom cat the cat kept spraying all over the house and dog was doing it too despite being toilet trained.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
4 17 Nov 2012
One of my cats used to spray everywhere. They do it if there has been any changes in the house which may include other cats, new furniture, furniture rearranged, guests staying etc. any little thing can cause them anxiety enough to mark areas. Also scolding the cat doesn't help and can even make it worse. There are hormones you can get from the vet which help calm them and in most cases stops them from marking or spraying. Talk to a vet and see what they say. Like state above it can also be a health indicator.
ReplyQuote

5 17 Nov 2012
Thanks guys. I think it's got to the point where we might take them to the vet and talk them about a possible UTI or the hormones Steph spoke about. It's stressing my Fiance out as it seems to happen a lot when I'm away for work.
A friend of mine also reccomended fresh pieces of citrus skin left on the couch or around the couch, to stop the cats peeing. So we might try that.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
6 17 Nov 2012
You poor thing! I can't imagine anything worse! I have 4 foster kittens at the moment, and they all use the litter box, but it seems that when they're not near the litter box, and they need to wee, they just go for it! It drives me mad and I don't know how to stop it! The smell is horrible, good thing we have floor boards! That citrus skin idea sounds like it could definitely work, I'm going to try that!

If I were you, I would get rid of the couch, I don't think it's possible to truly get rid of the smell of cat pee! sad
ReplyQuote

7 18 Nov 2012
Maggie said:
You poor thing! I can't imagine anything worse! I have 4 foster kittens at the moment, and they all use the litter box, but it seems that when they're not near the litter box, and they need to wee, they just go for it! It drives me mad and I don't know how to stop it! The smell is horrible, good thing we have floor boards! That citrus skin idea sounds like it could definitely work, I'm going to try that!

If I were you, I would get rid of the couch, I don't think it's possible to truly get rid of the smell of cat pee! sad
Thanks for all the help guys.

Yeah the only problem with getting rid of the couch is that it's actually only a year old and wasn't cheap. So I might try all other options before getting rid of the couch. We are also getting the couch steam cleaned and deodorized. See how that goes.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
8 19 Nov 2012
There was an episode of My Cat From Hell on animal planet the other week that covered a similar issue. It seems to be a territorial thing, and a way for them to get attention.
I would suggest cleaning the couch so none of the cats scent remains, and then putting lots of litter boxes around that area so there are plenty of places for them to pee. Maybe also try buying different sized and shaped litter boxes, because I know some cats are fussy and will only go in certain ones.

Do the cats have their own area they can go? Like a cat climbing gym? Cats like their own space, and they love climbing and high places.

I haven't had a lot of experience with cats, though I know with dogs the best method is to praise them when they do the right thing, and if they pee where the shouldn't you simply tell them "no" and then put them where you want them to go.

In the meantime, although not very aesthetically pleasing, it may be a good idea to cover the couches with plastic sheeting until you have this issue sorted out.

Best of luck!
ReplyQuote

JKM JKM TAS Posts: 58
9 26 Nov 2012
I recently moved house & had a problem with one of my cats doing this! Except he wasn't just peeing!

At our previous house he was an inside/outside cat that mostly slept outside at night time.

The only way we could get him to stop peeing on the couch was to let him go outside during the night. I was hoping to have them (him & my other cat) as inside cats because it's safer, but oh well.  rolleyes
ReplyQuote

10 27 Nov 2012
Jessica Karli said:
I recently moved house & had a problem with one of my cats doing this! Except he wasn't just peeing!

At our previous house he was an inside/outside cat that mostly slept outside at night time.

The only way we could get him to stop peeing on the couch was to let him go outside during the night. I was hoping to have them (him & my other cat) as inside cats because it's safer, but oh well.  rolleyes
Yeah, I was going to put some netting up out the back of our unit so we could let the cats out, but I haven't got around to that yet. I don't want our cats to be outside cats.
But apparently citrus peels work to deter cats from area so i'm going to try that, and covering the couches whilst we are out and see how we go with that.

It only seems to be when i'm away so it may be a territorial or attention seeking thing.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au