Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Facebook as a means for change

I use it frequently with mixed reactions

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

NickM NickM NSW Posts: 71
1 19 Nov 2012
Hi all,

Just recently I'v found that using facebook to promote animal rights is a good thing. So far (that I have been made aware of) I have prompted two people to convert to a path of cruelty-free living in probably less than a month. They were both 'umming' and 'arring' and tried to convert or were willing to convert previously but messaged me to specifically tell me that I have been a catalyst for their change after reading some of my posts. What a feeling!

.. oh and I think I 'brain-swamped' a poor girl I went to primary school with. She wanted to know which animal is more 'ethical to eat'. In a REALLLLLY long winded response, told her they are all forms of abuse that are equally wrong, but advised her she is better off eating less of it all to eventually phase it all out.

On the other hand more than two of my mates, including a friend from uni and another guy I worked with, have told me that they are sick of hearing it. One more direct than the other. I actually said to the guy I worked with that he is free to 'unfollow/block' me to lessen his facebook feed load. I was happy with that. Potentially, he could have just deleted specific items in his feed etc, but he chose to block me.

I guess what we're facing is an overwhelming acceptance for the mistreatment and abuse of innocent beings. I'm willing to cop the odd abrupt/confrontational fb comment from people who are rude to participate in stopping something as horrendous as animal cruelty. My step-father actually told my sister who relayed it to me that he didn't like being 'preached' to. Each to their own (refer back to 'block/unfollow' advice) LOL.

I'd love to hear of any interesting facebook discussions you were a part of after posting some animal rights posts!

Peace
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
2 19 Nov 2012
Apparently we're not entitled to our own opinions, but we sure get to put up with all of our friends checking in at the gym fives times a week and posting photos of the steak they're having for dinner. The thing I don't like about voicing unpopular opinions on social media (particularly Facebook) is that you tend to get slammed by people who hold the vox pop.

Post about animal rights = criticism and rhetoric
Post about how crap your day was = 50 likes in ten minutes
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 20 Nov 2012
I couldn't agree more, Vegan Tasmania is one of the best things I've done and my facebook page gets a lot of hits. The majority of people love it, then there are those that see it through friends feeds and make bacon jokes then there are the ones that get really upset and aggressive and tell me some not nice things. Clearly feeling guilty.
Anyway all the comments, all the likes just get that message further along so I don't mind at all when I get rude comments, in fact I see it now as a good thing because then it will show up in more and more feeds and on and on it goes.
happy
ReplyQuote

ezql ezql WA Posts: 54
4 21 Nov 2012
NickM said:
On the other hand more than two of my mates, including a friend from uni and another guy I worked with, have told me that they are sick of hearing it. One more direct than the other. I actually said to the guy I worked with that he is free to 'unfollow/block' me to lessen his facebook feed load. I was happy with that. Potentially, he could have just deleted specific items in his feed etc, but he chose to block me.
They might be sick of hearing it because it probably makes them uncomfortable to be aware of the animal welfare issues in present day. Thank you for taking the mature approach though; someone says they are sick of seeing it and you advise them that you can be unfollowed (so your posts don't appear in his newsfeed) - rather than going off at them. happy
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
5 21 Nov 2012
NickM said:
told her they are all forms of abuse that are equally wrong,
not really. What they do to chickens is a hell of allot worse than what they do to cattle.

Most people will figure out you're vegan pretty fast. If they want to know more they will ask. If they are a smartass just give them the cold shoulder "yeah i dont eat meat, whats the problem?" If they ask questions keep them brief and casual. If they dont care, let them be.
If they are against whaling or live trade then you have a connection and you can say, "i agree, and i feel the same way about abused animals in australia"
ReplyQuote

lucidity lucidity SA Posts: 54
6 23 Nov 2012
i find it so difficult dealing with facebook right now. we all post so much pointless shit so i decided i'm going to be active and use it for good; posting information, videos and quotes. at first i never really got much shit but now i'm getting the comments that i used to post. it's so frustrating because that was once me, ridiculing the vegan and bragging about eating bacon but my god when you stand on the other side and are the recipient of it you feel like you are living in a world of monsters. it's gotten to the point where my boyfriend has made it clear how he doesn't like it and doesn't want me to 'change' people. 'you said you weren't going to change people' 'do what you want but just don't change people'. how am i supposed to live in good conscience knowing i'm not doing the most i can do to lessen the suffering of animals? if this was happening to dogs, would me wanting to change people be negative? i see links posted about the terrors of war and the mistreatment of cats and dogs and everyone is suddenly an activist, yet when i try to trigger some sort of emotional response in people i get 'your updates are getting more hilarious every time'. i've come to the conclusion that most people are just phonies, they stand for the issues that allow them to live their life the way they always have. pro gay marriage? sure. all on that one. it's not like you need to do anything. against racism? sexism? all you have to do is not be racist or sexist. post a status about it. suddenly you're mother theresa. but as soon as it's an issue that would require some change, a little sacrifice (at first, afterwards, as we all know, it's a gift) then nobody wants to hear a word of it. and i know they all know that what they do is wrong, they just hate that i make them think about it.
ReplyQuote

Maria Dawn Maria Dawn SA Posts: 4
7 30 Nov 2012
Unfortunately I do not have any stories to tell. My friends seem very uninterested in everything I posted about animal rights and stopping cruelty to animals. I used to do a lot of activism on Facebook but because of the lack of support I had from my friends I decided to delete my account and chat and be an activist on here instead. It's much better to be around like minded people and hopefully I can introduce some of my friends to the ideas and information I learn about on here and it will force them to look at themselves and their behavior.

I find this site very inspirational but Facebook I found was not so good in inspiring me in anything. I am glad though however that you are having better luck and maybe you just have more aware and enlightened friends who really want to change themselves and the world. Unfortunately we cannot force people to change they have to do it themselves.

Keep going! You are doing well!

Good Luck clap thumb
ReplyQuote

Naomi4animals Naomi4animals VIC Posts: 19
8 30 Nov 2012
i've found it's been also very good to get the word out, i'm constanly posting yet in the last few months i've had only 1 friend willing to become an activist and coming to rallys with me, i think the rest just get annoyed but hey it's my fb i choose what to post they can block my posts if they want but yeah.
the only issue are trolls -.- and man are there alot of them but guys if you ever come across a troll i recommend ignore coz i got sucked in to a Anti sea shepherd page, i gave them facts about mercury and they like to shut you down and find a completely false statment to back them up, but i guess thats up to them
ReplyQuote

Maria Dawn Maria Dawn SA Posts: 4
9 1 Dec 2012
You have all inspired me lol!  I have decided to use Facebook again to spread the word. Hopefully I will have better results this time.

Cheers
ecstatic
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
10 1 Dec 2012
Wow. I never get that positive a response on Facebook. Usually I get tired out jokes and outright abuse. o.O That's why I hide my vegan-related posts from certain people on my friends list...
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au