Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan anti-depressant

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Kelsey1 Kelsey1 United States Posts: 816
1 1 Jan 2013
Hello Aussie!

Im not sure how to open this up, but does anyone know what companies make vegan anti-deppresants? I am an Aspergian and the pills I had a while ago I discovered had gelatin in them.

Thank you!
ReplyQuote

Mary6 Mary6 NSW Posts: 152
2 1 Jan 2013
I don't think there is any sadly but you should probably just take them because you need them
ReplyQuote

3 1 Jan 2013
I have tried a natural vegan drink for endorphin-enhancing but it spoils fast.
ReplyQuote

ophgugy ophgugy ACT Posts: 59
4 1 Jan 2013
If you're talking about inactive ingredients (like the gelatine or other binding ingredients) that are vegan-friendly, then yes, there are options. I had a look through the drug fact sheets online for a few popular anti-depressants. These are the non-generic brands, so they'll be a few dollars extra than a generic. Generic brands have the same active ingredients, but not necessarily the same inactive ingredients (which is where you stumble across non-vegan stuff like gelatine)

As far as I could tell, although you should probably double-check with your doctor (he/she will have access to drug information sheets too, which will list their inactive ingredients)

CIPRAMIL tablets (citalopram) CONTAINED inactive animal ingredients.

ZOLOFT (sertraline) tablets contained no inactive animal ingredients.

LEXAPRO (escitalopram) film-coated tablets contained no inactive animal ingredients. The film coating is hypromellose, a vegetarian alternative to gelatine.

EFFEXOR XR (venlafaxine) CONTAINED inactive animal ingredients.

AROPAX (paroxetine) ???? There's an ingredient called 'polysorbate 80' that could be animal-based. Not sure. Ahhhh just realised you're from America, you have PAXIL over there, which is the equivalent of AROPAX. PAXIL isn't vegan as far as the non-active ingredients go.

As non-active ingredients can vary a lot between name brands and generic brands, you might have a shot at finding a generic version of what you're taking now. Do you mind if I ask what it is you're currently taking? I can have a look and see if any generics come up and I'll read through their ingredients.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
5 1 Jan 2013
When I was taking medication I just insisted that the doc prescribe something that was vegetarian. Unfortunately you can pretty much guarantee that everything is animal tested but if it's for your health and is necessary then don't feel bad, at least you have a conscience about it.
ReplyQuote

cassie2 cassie2 VIC Posts: 204
6 2 Jan 2013
there is a natural  anti depressant called st johns wart not sure if you have heard of it.
ReplyQuote

smashthecages smashthecages SA Posts: 17
7 2 Jan 2013
Hi Kelsey,

I take the antidepressant known as pristiq (desvenlefaxine). I know it would be tested on animals sad but it is vegan by ingredient happy
ReplyQuote

8 3 Jan 2013
Thank you for the replies guys!
ReplyQuote

Sign In or Register

What's on your mind? We want to know! Sign in with your Unleashed forum account or register to have your say!

E-Mail:
Password:
  Lost password?
Who Most Liked Contributors
Today's Top Poster sprout Today's most liked:
sprout
July's Top Poster sprout July's most liked: sprout (2 likes)

Blog News