Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Travel Tips for Thailand? :)

1 - 10 of 10 posts

ReNe3 ReNe3 VIC Posts: 52
1 9 Jan 2013
Hey guys,

I'm going to Thailand (phuket) for ten days and was wondering if anyone had any previous wisdom or tips they could give? Things I should try, things I should avoid, food, general veg friendlyness etc...? happy thank you love
ReplyQuote

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
2 9 Jan 2013
I believe Thailand is actually quite veg friendly as Buddhism is widespread there. There is even a vegetarian festival held in Phuket happy
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 10 Jan 2013
My aunt and to-be cousin lives in Thailand. I can contact her on Thailand vegetarian places.
ReplyQuote

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
4 10 Jan 2013
Things to avoid: elephant trekking camps and shows. As well as the obvious problems of keeping animals captive and using them for entertainment, elephants in Thailand undergo a brutal "training" called "crushing" when they are young. Here's a link for you: http://bit.ly/VTCaS0

If you time your trip perfectly, you have to check out the Phuket Vegetarian Festival. Let's just say, it's slightly different to a veg festival you'd find in Australia. http://www.ibtimes.com/phuket-vegetarian-festival-2012-where-purity-painful-photos-850829
ReplyQuote

Fish Fish VIC Posts: 149
5 10 Jan 2013
Hi
I went to Phuket with my family! Do you know where you are staying? I am the only vegetarian in my family so we went alot of meat reasturants. However we did go to this one sea food place, and the owner spoke english really well. So he made me the best tofu ever. Don't go to zoos there. My family forced me to go to one and it was so horrible. Elephants chained to the floor and you were able to hold a baby monkey. I didn't of course, but the poor baby.
Also don't go to fantasia or whatever it is. I didn't go and my brothers enjoyed it however I read reveiws about it and the standards werent good at all.
But you must go visit the Gibbon Sanctuary. http://www.gibbonproject.org/ You can also stay and work there if you wish, helping to rehabilitate gibbons. And of course dont get pictures taken with baby gibbons of the street.
There are alot of vegetarians in phuket, as alot of them are buddhists. I would also reccomend going to visit the big buddha. Although I didn't, (because my family chose where to eat) eat at the less commerialised eating places for tourists and more at the places where thai people eat. There will be alot more vegetarian options there, than at the meat filled "thai" food places.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
6 10 Jan 2013
I haven't been to Thailand, but I did go to Japan recently. The best advice I can give is to get the happy cow app on your mobile phone and use that to find places to eat near you. Also print out a list from their website before you go because sometimes the app is down and doesn't work. Don't just rely on going to random restaurants, because they may not always understand your dietary requirements.
http://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/
Thailand looks very veg/vegan friendly to me in the main cities happy

If you are visiting temples they are generally really good for finding a vegan meal, since the food is generally Shojin Ryori (Buddhist cuisine).
Also I bought a bunch of vegan snacks before we left Australia, so that when we went on day trips I could always keep something to eat in my handbag and not worry if there wasn't any vegan friendly places where we were going.
ReplyQuote

britjayde britjayde TAS Posts: 6
7 10 Jan 2013
I'm a vegan and I found thailand pretty easy happy fried rice, stir fries and things are obviously the easy options -  I often ordered the vegetarian options and just asked for no egg. I had very few problems.

At one hotel we stayed they had a vegetarian pizza and they were happy to make it without cheese. Just add that to all the tropical fruit that is available happy I couldn't believe how easy I found it happy

Enjoy your holiday
ReplyQuote

ReNe3 ReNe3 VIC Posts: 52
8 12 Jan 2013
Thanks everybody for the awesome advice!!
alas the timing is not right for the veggie festival, but will have to check out the gibbon sanctuary for sure XD
ReplyQuote

Navo Navo VIC Posts: 59
9 14 Jan 2013
Like the previous posters have said, avoid anything to do with elephant trekking (unless it's rehabilitation programs, which are wonderful, you should visit those if they are in your area)
Furthermore, you'll likely be approached by people holding various types of monkeys, snakes, birds etc. These animals will generally be EXTREMELY docile because they are heavily drugged so that tourists can take pictures with them. I was one of these ignorant tourists, and just assumed they were being friendly. Be wary!
ReplyQuote

Emzilla Emzilla Canada Posts: 1
10 23 Jan 2013
Vegesaurus said:
I haven't been to Thailand, but I did go to Japan recently. The best advice I can give is to get the happy cow app on your mobile phone and use that to find places to eat near you. Also print out a list from their website before you go because sometimes the app is down and doesn't work. Don't just rely on going to random restaurants, because they may not always understand your dietary requirements.
http://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/
Thailand looks very veg/vegan friendly to me in the main cities happy

If you are visiting temples they are generally really good for finding a vegan meal, since the food is generally Shojin Ryori (Buddhist cuisine).
Also I bought a bunch of vegan snacks before we left Australia, so that when we went on day trips I could always keep something to eat in my handbag and not worry if there wasn't any vegan friendly places where we were going.
Use happycow to look up a place called 'You and Me'. My friends and I loved it there and they were always happy to adjust orders for me.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au