Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I shut my eyes

trying to not think about whats going on

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Hannahcolby Hannahcolby NSW Posts: 93
1 11 Jan 2013
Hi all! I havent been on here for a few months now, and i feel like ive lost a little of what pride I had when i was upto date with everything and expressing my opinions and concerns. I basically got to the stage where i felt like anything i was doing wasnt enough. I even had trouble sleeping at night, I just couldnt bare to think that I live in a world with such cruel ways. Humans are barbaric! They kill and eat for pleasure! Not to survive, and we vegans prove that you do not need meat to survive.

I was finding myself preaching, and I think it was pushing people away. I love who I am. And I love the morals that I stand for. I think that people who love animals, are the most kindest people around.

But all the meat eaters were making me feel ashamed of it. Telling me that it was the norm, and that its inevitable.

When the headlines came about that mock meat would be the new 'in' thing for 2013, one of the ladies at my work said "why bother with mock meat, when you can have the real thing".

Its like I am in a constant fight against the world over treating animals with respect. It should be much to ask for. THEY FEEL TOO!

Argghhh. Sorry for all this. I needed a rant to similar minded people.

How does everyone else deal with the daily fight against whats right and what wrong?
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 11 Jan 2013
Well, I am on this site, with all the like-minded people, ore some other sites. I also express all of my anger through writing or poetry, or angry emails to large corporations.  happy
ReplyQuote

3 11 Jan 2013
By the way welcome back!
ReplyQuote

AbigailandBrodie AbigailandBrodie NSW Posts: 114
4 11 Jan 2013
Yes, I think we definitely all feel this at some point, and regularly. I myself am finding I am extra frustrated toward people lately and I end up getting very short about it all. What I hate about people a lot is that they don't seem to have the ability to respect what other people do, they are incredibly rude, insensitive and a long list of expletives! I find it very hard to keep a cool front, maybe that comes with time I have no clue.

I was looking at a car the other day and I said, "it has leather, where are the models without it" and he said "what do you mean, you don't want leather? Why not? Extra cost?" and I replied "-blank face with a nice long pause- I don't want dead animal in my car" and I could tell he just didn't even register with what I said. People just don't get it and just don't give a damn. It pisses me off to no end that car companies have leather basically through all their cars now, It makes me not want to ever buy new cars, keep with the old vinyl. My car is just cloth but it is still Nissan and supports their company which makes me sick.

I was talking to my mum about meat and dairy and all that, and she never wants to hear any of it. She said to me last night, when I said there is no reason for humans to eat it, we don't need it, it is just selfishness and greed, she said "It doesn't matter what we need, it's about what we want, we want good food and different tastes and we just love it" - I had to hold back from physically hitting or throwing something, I do not get along at all with mother and there is one obvious reason why.

I have been asking heaps of people, saying that I am just curious, "Where does milk come from?" and the reply is "Cows" so I ask, "yes, if cows milk. How does a cow produce this milk?" and everyone replies with either "I don't know" or "They just make it" and then I fill them in a very detailed manner. They are always shocked and say how sad that is, yet still in the end say "I still don't think there's anything wrong with drinking milk" - How the F*** do you get through to anyone. There's hardly a point trying. I am printing a couple 100 of flyers about milk production and sticking them all over Sutherland area in Sydney, and will leave some randomly around work. I hope that this will at least make some people look at the industry differently. The dairy industry is something that really irritates me beyond words, the veil, the lack of care, GR.

I do not understand how to make people care, I guess you can't make them. I wish you could!
ReplyQuote

AbigailandBrodie AbigailandBrodie NSW Posts: 114
5 11 Jan 2013
lone-wolf said:
I won't get in to a full on talk about all the methods I use to make meat eaters look silly, but the most fun one is to set up a question where the meat eater will have to explain a few things. I like to go with "I honestly believe meat eaters are slowly killing themselves"  and being meat eaters they find it irresistible to defend themselves...

While they are telling me all of the fantastic benefits of eating animals and "my friends boyfriends brother who is a doctor said..." What I do is smile as if I know a secret, then get progressively and visibly un interested in what they are saying. Usually their speech will slow and before the next major point that we haven't heard 4000 times, and they most of the time end up asking me questions like "so is the pretend stuff actually good?" "What do vegans eat? I know it cant just be salad".

This is a bit confrontational and smug way to go about it but that is my style and most of them are expecting a massive info session on "the best reasons to go veg". I change it to "All the reasons you are stupid"
That's a clever one, I'm not sure I would pull it off. I can't keep calm. I will try it though.
ReplyQuote

6 11 Jan 2013
AbigailandBrodie said:
I have been asking heaps of people, saying that I am just curious, "Where does milk come from?" and the reply is "Cows" so I ask, "yes, if cows milk. How does a cow produce this milk?" and everyone replies with either "I don't know" or "They just make it".
That's something that really gets on my nerves. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only knowledgeable person in the clique at school.
ReplyQuote

Fish Fish VIC Posts: 149
7 11 Jan 2013
Hey
Don't worry about it.
I get a similar thing. I tell mum of my awesome plan. It is "To ask places if they sell ree range meat, then make a list of who does. Show this to people and ask to sign the make it possible pledge."
Then mum goes, "Don't preach about it or pressure people. Free-range meat is expensive, some people don't have to money," She says this clearly thinking its a bad idea.
I'm like what the hell, lots of people I know care about animals, but they just won't stop eating meat. However if I said "Sign this pledge to help factoy-farmed animals" here is a list of places they stock free range meat." Im sure they'd agree.
I asked my dad if he would sign it, provided I find free-range meat sources. He said sure. And he is going to buy his pig meat from coles. But I swear my mum doesn't even care.
All my friends go, you spoil your fish. In a nice way of course. Most of my friends are wannabe vegetarians. I have one veg friend. But in my mind I'm like, I do not spoil my fish I just try to make there habitat the best in can be for them. (And maybe feed them when they beg)

So yeah. Everyone has similar probelms. Just come and rant to us.
How I deal with the fight? I don't have it hard at all. Most people I'm friends with and family think I'm doing the right thing, and all at my school don't care. (Probably cause most are very self-centered) The grief they give me is "How can you not eat bacon" and stuff like that. And for the record bacon is disgusting, always has been, always will be.
And if I feel down I come here. Although I do spend most of m time on here anyway.

I hope you feel better. You are doing the right thing and you're not alone. Here is my new fav quote
"Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes"
ReplyQuote

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
8 11 Jan 2013
Remember this:

You being constantly upset, furious and depressed would not change the fact that a paradigm shift amongst common humanity in respect to animal rights is not going to occur for a long time.

Using your anger to fuel activism is always a good thing, but other than that, those negative emotions are useless - they do nothing else other than get you down on an individual level.

So why not focus on the good things? Why not be happy if being angry and sad isn't going to do much?
ReplyQuote

Sally Jane Sally Jane United States Posts: 52
9 11 Jan 2013
I have been finding it particularly frustrating lately. I think I may be letting it all get to me too much. The hardest thing of all is when someone blatantly says that they don't care, or says things like 'I would NEVER be vegetarian, I love meat too much', and never even bother to source out better welfare options such as free range.

It actually really hurts. It hurts because I can't help but feel that humanity is better than what we are, and my heart is full of hope that if people see what is going on they will make a stand. When they don't, it's shattering.

The thing I do is just try and remember that I am trying to do something to make a difference, that I have made a stand; said no. I try to remember that if everyone put in the same effort I am, the animal welfare crisis would be over. I just have to remember that the world doesn't rest on my shoulders and I can't save the world by myself. I just have to do whatever I can.

It's important to find joy in the small victories. When I am feeling really down I visit the site for Edgar's Mission and read about the wonders they do there. http://www.edgarsmission.org.au/ . That always cheers me up. Maybe you can find something like that to bring you the joy you need?
ReplyQuote

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
10 11 Jan 2013
Sally Jane said:
I have been finding it particularly frustrating lately. I think I may be letting it all get to me too much. The hardest thing of all is when someone blatantly says that they don't care, or says things like 'I would NEVER be vegetarian, I love meat too much', and never even bother to source out better welfare options such as free range.

It actually really hurts. It hurts because I can't help but feel that humanity is better than what we are, and my heart is full of hope that if people see what is going on they will make a stand. When they don't, it's shattering.

The thing I do is just try and remember that I am trying to do something to make a difference, that I have made a stand; said no. I try to remember that if everyone put in the same effort I am, the animal welfare crisis would be over. I just have to remember that the world doesn't rest on my shoulders and I can't save the world by myself. I just have to do whatever I can.

It's important to find joy in the small victories. When I am feeling really down I visit the site for Edgar's Mission and read about the wonders they do there. http://www.edgarsmission.org.au/ . That always cheers me up. Maybe you can find something like that to bring you the joy you need?
It's ok. I used to be like that too and made fun of vegetarians. I loved all kinds of meat, especially duck (which ironically were also one of the animals I thought was cutest) and I took an interest in fishing and hunting (I never ever tried hunting fortunately)

And yes I love Edgar's Mission too and would love to go there one day, maybe adopt some chickens/ducks when they've taken in a bit too many animals to cope happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au