Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Rooster Soup?! :(

1 - 7 of 7 posts

RosaBug RosaBug NSW Posts: 2
1 15 Jan 2013
Hi everyone!
I found this forum doing a google search for "how to rehome roosters" which actually seemed a very popular search topic.
Im Rosa, in Sydney NSW, and I need help FAST!

several months ago, I bought 7 little baby chinese silkie chickens. As i have been applying for properties with land since about august, I had foolishly assumed I would be approved by now, and that roosters wouldnt be a problem.
Countless house rejections later, in December, our little fluffballs learnt to crow.
of the 7 chicks, 5 have turned out to be roosters, and Im still living in a flat under my parents house in the middle of suburbia sad

we have had about 3 noise complaints sent in by our neighbor since then, however as theyre crowing during the day, and not at an unreasonable decibel, the council hasnt taken any action. Unfortunately my neighbor has now decided to take matters into her own hands.
Our little silkie flock lives with 2 ducks and 3 bantams in a coop i built in the yard.
3 days ago, I received a very angry call from my neighbor telling me how rude I was because the roosters were crowing, and she couldnt sleep (this was 8am, she works nightshift so sleeps during the day)

then yesterday i woke up to find little Andre the duck had been strangled/wrung in his pen. i examinied his whole body, there were no bite marks, no feathers ripped out, no blood, just a twisted broken neck. the 2 ducks were best friends, and got along excellently with the chickens. my only theory is that the neighbor did it, as the ducks are easier to catch than the silkies........ now Speckles (the remaining duck) is depressed and terrified of humans, and wont come anywhere near us.

Anyway, the point of this story is that i desparately need help finding homes for my little roosters before my neighbor strikes again sad
We have a local RSPCA here which said they would take them for a $10 adoption fee per rooster, which i would gladly pay, except that they told us the roosters are at high risk of being put down because nobody really adopts roosters.
we also have a local animal auction sale yard thing, which always has roosters going through it, but unfortunately they have a 95% chance of ending up in the soup pot there.
ive found a home for ONE rooster with a friend who has chickens and wanted a rooster, but it still leaves me with 4 unfortunates who are getting me into big trouble sad

Does anyone here know any way of finding roosters homes? or would anyone like to adopt any? they are handled every day and are friendly and half blind because their pompoms cover their eyes, theyd be great pets if you dont have neighbors that work night shift.
I realy really really want to find them nice homes because otherwise my parents will make me take them to the auction and theyll be eaten sad

if there was some sort of rooster sanctuary i would drive them as far as needed :O

thankyou for reading and i hope someone can help me sad
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
2 15 Jan 2013
I think your best bet is to try and find a no-kill shelter.

I had a similar problem, my neighbours from several years ago bought roosters and I could never bring myself to complain to the council about them because I knew that a) council regulations did not allow people to keep roosters in my suburb and b) that because of this there was a strong chance they would be euthanased.

So I bought ear plugs.

The way that chickens are bred is awful, if they are raised for eggs then all of the male chicks are killed. If they are raised privately because they are rarity breeds then the male chicks are either generally dumped on unsuspecting buyers and inevitably people find themselves in your situation. Or again, euthanased. Or made into capons for the "gourmet" market...take your pick of any number of horrible situations.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 15 Jan 2013
I agree with the shelter idea, and I think you should report the neighbor who killed your duck.
ReplyQuote

my friends have feathers my friends have feathers NSW Posts: 20
4 15 Jan 2013
I'd love to take them in, but having four here myself and a grumpy neighbour, that wouldn't be wise (I can only take in hens and ducks at the moment).  However I do know of several places you can try - one is a guy who rescues poultry and has over 100 roosters.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
5 15 Jan 2013
my friends have feathers said:
I'd love to take them in, but having four here myself and a grumpy neighbour, that wouldn't be wise (I can only take in hens and ducks at the moment).  However I do know of several places you can try - one is a guy who rescues poultry and has over 100 roosters.
Do you mean these guys? http://www.facebook.com/apoultryplace
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
6 15 Jan 2013
Kelsey1 said:
I agree with the shelter idea, and I think you should report the neighbor who killed your duck.
Yes, absolutely.
ReplyQuote

RosaBug RosaBug NSW Posts: 2
7 22 Jan 2013
Hi everyone! This story has a happy ending! I found a lady to adopt my roosters, she has a coop full of hen she rescued from a battery farm and she thought they could do with some male company happy as luck would have it, she had a girl duck that she needed to find a home for so now my lonely speckles has a girlfriend and they follow each other everywhere happy on top of that, I finally got approved for a place that doesn't mind the menagerie coming along! Yay happy thanks everyone for your advice happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au