Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Chocolate Slavery

Human slaves matter too

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
1 5 Feb 2013
Being vegan does not automatically mean that you do not contribute to oppression.

http://www.foodispower.org/slavery_chocolate.php

List of cruelty free vegan chocolate brands: http://www.foodispower.org/chocolatelist.php
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 5 Feb 2013
What isn't cruelty free ORIGINALLY these days?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
3 5 Feb 2013
It's great that you bring this topic up, because a lot of people don't realise that some of the vegan foods we eat on a regular basis to try and end animal suffering, end up causing more human suffering. For example:
Vietnamese Cashews: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2092004,00.html
Quinoa: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/world/americas/20bolivia.html?_r=0
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
4 5 Feb 2013
very much agree!
If you believe in the concept of Earthlings, the rights of all beings are important. Thankyou for posting about this happy

"Chocolate nations" by Orla Ryan is a really informative read about chocolate production and human rights abuses.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
5 5 Feb 2013
they go on about how we ended slavery because it is wrong.. we havent, we just outsourced it. It's probably cheaper this way too because you dont have to buy a slave and ensure that they are kept healthy, because as soon as these international slaves get sick (or bashed and raped) they just go outside and get another worker.
but boycotting their products wont end slavery.
ReplyQuote

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
6 5 Feb 2013
Aaron said:
they go on about how we ended slavery because it is wrong.. we havent, we just outsourced it. It's probably cheaper this way too because you dont have to buy a slave and ensure that they are kept healthy, because as soon as these international slaves get sick (or bashed and raped) they just go outside and get another worker.
but boycotting their products wont end slavery.
Yeah I agree, it's the entire system that needs reforming. We're all slaves within this system... we have to get a job to sustain ourselves. We need to have money to just survive.

And yes yes yes the quinoa thing!!! So many vegans aren't aware of that yet which is sad sad I hope Fair Trade stores some of those choccy brands.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 6 Feb 2013
Not sure I really agree with the quinoa thing. Sure it's driving prices up but if the middle man isn't then also giving a portion of that to the farmers then how is the buyer responsible for that? If we all stopped eating the stuff then they wouldn't even have a job. I don't agree that my buying quinoa is causing the undernourishment of quinoa farmers.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
8 6 Feb 2013
KirstyGirl said:
Not sure I really agree with the quinoa thing. Sure it's driving prices up but if the middle man isn't then also giving a portion of that to the farmers then how is the buyer responsible for that? If we all stopped eating the stuff then they wouldn't even have a job. I don't agree that my buying quinoa is causing the undernourishment of quinoa farmers.
It's not the farmers that are hard off, in fact a lot of them are doing really well financially, it's everyone else that's suffering. The sudden increase in demand has driven the prices up so high that poorer people can no longer afford to buy what once was a staple food in their diet. In the last five years, quinoa prices have nearly tripled, but the country's consumption of it has fallen 34%.

And a lot of land that was being used to grow other foods is now being used to grow quinoa to export overseas. There are also increasing feuds over property rights and water.
And you're right boycotting is a bit of a tricky issue because the farmers would suffer if people stopped buying it, but at the same time it would also lower the price which would help locals who do not farm the crop themselves.
Ideally we should start growing quinoa locally, but apparently farmers are having trouble growing it in other countries.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
9 7 Feb 2013
Vegesaurus said:
KirstyGirl said:
It's not the farmers that are hard off, in fact a lot of them are doing really well financially, it's everyone else that's suffering. The sudden increase in demand has driven the prices up so high that poorer people can no longer afford to buy what once was a staple food in their diet. In the last five years, quinoa prices have nearly tripled, but the country's consumption of it has fallen 34%.

And a lot of land that was being used to grow other foods is now being used to grow quinoa to export overseas. There are also increasing feuds over property rights and water.
And you're right boycotting is a bit of a tricky issue because the farmers would suffer if people stopped buying it, but at the same time it would also lower the price which would help locals who do not farm the crop themselves.
Ideally we should start growing quinoa locally, but apparently farmers are having trouble growing it in other countries.
Odd. Every source I've read so far has only talked about how the "farmers" were losing out so I thought it was a bit bogus. Boycotting quinoa is definitely not the answer here.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au