Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dropping Gelatin, Rennet and Cochineal! Is there any others I should consider?

I currently don't eat meat, or animal fat.

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Fish Fish VIC Posts: 149
1 5 Feb 2013
Next step towards veganism! (Just don't tell my parents) I am no longer eating gelatin, rennet and cochineal.
As veganism is deemed unhealthy, I am still supposed to eat dairy and eggs. I avoid them though. So I won't be dropping lactose or milk fat etc, but I will be avoiding them.
I want to drop as many animal products that are not 'necessary'.
So what other things could I drop? The three I am dropping are the only ones I know.

Thanks!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
2 6 Feb 2013
Since you're trying to avoid dairy look out for whey too. Congratulations and good luck!
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 6 Feb 2013
Isn't casein, whey and rennet the same thing? If not avoid them all.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
4 6 Feb 2013
Kelsey1 said:
Rennet is a product from a calf's stomach. Whey and casein are found in dairy.

Good on you for continuing your vegan journey. It is different for everyone but every little bit helps. Eggs and honey were the last things I gave up around 18 months ago. People keep asking me if I'm going to consume animal produce again now that I'm pregnant. Because y'know the only place to get calcium is dairy! Uh, no!! Vegan for life! Good luck and well done!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
5 6 Feb 2013
E120(i) Carmine
E120(ii) Cochineal extract
Carminic acid

Is Smooched up Cochineal Beetles. (I put e-numbers for people reading this who don't know)

http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=125&Itemid=61

Vitasoy Purple Carton/Calci Plus is non-Vegan because the Vitamin D is from Fish.

Same goes for Keloggs Cornflakes.

For cosmetics apart from not being used tortuously on caged animals I avoid as a rule anything with 'Stear' or 'Cetyl' in the name or deviations of this basis.
>Unless noted as being Vegan
>animal friendly does not mean Vegan

My second point; Lanolin, can be in 'Animal Friendly' products like moisturizer.
It is from sweaty Sheep.

Stear comes from the word Tallow, meaning animal fat. Cetyl from Cetus, the fat inherent to Sperm Whales. It is unlikely that it is more economical for companies to use these sources and that is the only reason they sometimes choose to source fats with the same name from Vegetables. (How stupid can they be to keep the same scientific name even if from plant or animal Grr).

But for example the company Sunsilk cannot suggest their Conditioners are Vegan, although their Shampoos are more likely. If you then look at the ingredients and origin of these products you see the difference between the texture and contents is obvious.

Dead puppies and kittens is another origin of these animal fats and considering Dogs and Cats are on the Menu of countries where Western beauty products are mostly made to save costs, I just wouldn't be surprised.

And Gelatin has now been classed as a food stuff, considering it is crushed up horses and stuff, so you won't likely see it written as E441.

Anyway without further Adue:

http://veganeasy.org/Food-Additives
http://www.vegansociety.org.za/vegan-living/shopping/non-vegan-e-numbers.html
http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/non-vegetarian-food-additives.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/avoid_en.shtml (a less useful list)

Also Helgas bread is apparently Vegan,
so you have to assume their emulsifiers are from plant sources.
Such as E481 that can be from Porklets.
E471 and E471e can be Soya or Animal Fat.

Not sure about other Breads.

My most useful rule is be minimalistic. That is why I prefer being Vega.
If it is more effort to go without your favorite (a condition) things, than it is to chance them being non-Veg then simply do some research.

I avoid alot of things because I don't really care to use, drink or eat these things anyway when it comes down to it. But if there is something I enjoy or get enjoyment out of, I will e-mail the company.

Which involves typing the company into google, looking for a home page, looking for a contact form or e-mail and saying. "Is your this specific product Vegan? This means no animal derivatives at all, even in the manufacturing process. thanks."

For example, in America I am sure they have Vegan labelled products that use Sugar what has been filtered with Bone Char in the process of making it, because it 'isn't in the end product'. Also even in Australian Salt used to have bone mixed with it so the particles stayed granular and didn't rejoin or melt. aka stay Dry, as a bone.

Most Wines say whether Dairy or Egg is used in the process and I have been e-mailed by a Wine Maker who said they use no animal products in the process, besides the Honey (as it was Maxwell's Mead). I was just chuffed the Maker themselves got back to me.

Last point. Personally I think it is worse to have Soy than Organic Honey. But that is bending distinctions a little. Depending of the origins of course.

>it is mostly grown as a cattle feed crop
>more animals die and go extinct from soy plantations than Bee farms

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2012/nov/14/brazil-halting-deforestation-amazon-video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/amazon-endangered-species-debt_n_1669287.html

Food is money in a loveless, wasteful world.

~s2.
ReplyQuote

6 7 Feb 2013
*Steph* said:
Kelsey1 said:
Rennet is a product from a calf's stomach. Whey and casein are found in dairy.
Okay thanks.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
7 7 Feb 2013
When you're purchasing cheese, it's better to get it from a place that knows what they're talking about. For instance at this cheese stall in a local market near where I live, they have red stickers to show which cheeses are rennet free. But they also have soy cheese, which is just as accessible. I know it must be difficult to go vegan all in one go, but have you read my blog post on what occurs at dairy farms? Go on my page and there is a link to been there seen that time to ditch dairy! And realise what you're missing out on if you don't try the amazzzing dairy free products in life! love
ReplyQuote

8 7 Feb 2013
4_da_animals1 said:
When you're purchasing cheese, it's better to get it from a place that knows what they're talking about. For instance at this cheese stall in a local market near where I live, they have red stickers to show which cheeses are rennet free. But they also have soy cheese, which is just as accessible. I know it must be difficult to go vegan all in one go, but have you read my blog post on what occurs at dairy farms? Go on my page and there is a link to been there seen that time to ditch dairy! And realise what you're missing out on if you don't try the amazzzing dairy free products in life! love
I would be vegan, but I live with my parents. I know exactly what goes on and how dairy is bad for you. But my parents think if I don't eat dairy I'll get oesteroporous. Anyway...
ReplyQuote

9 7 Feb 2013
Fish said:
4_da_animals1 said:
But my parents think if I don't eat dairy I'll get oesteroporous.
(You probably have) Have you tried explaining the concept to them?
ReplyQuote

10 7 Feb 2013
Kelsey1 said:
Fish said:
4_da_animals1 said:
But my parents think if I don't eat dairy I'll get oesteroporous.
(You probably have) Have you tried explaining the concept to them?
Yes. Well kinda, didn't know too much and mum freaked. It's not the best time for me to try to get rid of dairy from my diet. I am currently collecting information though.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au