Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Can you eat healthy being vegan on a student diet?

Help from other students please...

1 - 10 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Hannahcolby Hannahcolby NSW Posts: 93
1 7 Feb 2013
Hello all! Im going to uni this year and im trying to plan out everything from money, to food. Because I live out of home, I have to juggle full time study, with a part time job, paying rent and bills, my car loan and what ever else comes at me.

My question is, on a student budget, factoring in living costs (living independently) how can I keep eating healthy vegan food. Ive noticed now that with buying lots of green veggies and fresh fruit, along with my mock meats and what ever else I need, like quino and nuts, how can I stay healthy and not just have a diet mainly of potatoes?

Give me some meal ideas on a cheap budget?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  happy
ReplyQuote

Hannahcolby Hannahcolby NSW Posts: 93
2 7 Feb 2013
AND TO CLEAR IT UP BEFORE ANYONE NOTICES HAHA THE HEADING IS SUPPOSED TO SAY "STUDENT BUDGET". My mind is in overdrive at the moment.  confused
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 7 Feb 2013
Considering you've got the net shouldn't be too hard. Buy cheap stuff that you like and use recipe sites that give you ideas based on some of the ingredients that you already have. Alternatively there are some awesome books out there like Vegan on the Cheap (get from the library) which is all about eating healthy vegan foods using cheap ingredients out of cans etc.
ReplyQuote

Stef1 Stef1 SA Posts: 27
4 7 Feb 2013
Lentils are pretty cheap i think - red and green/brown lentils. And they're versatile and healthy and filling so maybe factor in some more.. Also canned beans/tomatoes (much more cheaper than fresh tomatoes atm) are really nice in cooking, and are good with lentils. I found a brand that doesn't add sugar called La Nova and they were on special for one dollar a can! Specials are awesome
happy
ReplyQuote

AC AZZA AC AZZA VIC Posts: 158
5 7 Feb 2013
For time between work and skool just bring some nuts or seeds to nibble on.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
6 7 Feb 2013
Yes. Eating vegan can be a lot cheaper than eating meat/dairy.
The only reason vegan can be expensive is when people buy a lot of mock meats, cheeses etc. which aren't even that good for you anyway.
If you cook using wholefoods then it is very economical happy I cook with lentils a lot and use them in the place of vege mince in spag bol, lasagne, pies etc. They also make good curries.
Rice is good and can be used to make a healthy pumpkin risotto or fried rice with lots of veggies, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.

Aldi is awesome for tinned foods and other bacics (I bought a whole heap of fruit, veg and tinned stuff the other day which only cost me $30), and food markets and fruit shops. Try to avoid shopping at places like Woolworths and Coles as their prices are usually more expensive.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
7 7 Feb 2013
Are we implying that the typical Austudy diet is healthy? I think you should be fine, considering most of the younger students I know get by on Mi Goreng, toasties, caffeine, nicotine and wholesale quantities of fruity lexia.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
8 8 Feb 2013
You can always just buy a lot of canned foods and frozen stuff. If you eat them right you can probably get by.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
9 8 Feb 2013
Hannahcolby said:
Hello all! Im going to uni this year and im trying to plan out everything from money, to food. Because I live out of home, I have to juggle full time study, with a part time job, paying rent and bills, my car loan and what ever else comes at me.

My question is, on a student budget, factoring in living costs (living independently) how can I keep eating healthy vegan food. Ive noticed now that with buying lots of green veggies and fresh fruit, along with my mock meats and what ever else I need, like quino and nuts, how can I stay healthy and not just have a diet mainly of potatoes?

Give me some meal ideas on a cheap budget?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  happy
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much do you have to budget? I'm in the same position, have you looked into centerlink? happy
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
10 8 Feb 2013
If you're really into mock meats, look in any local Vietnamese or Chinese grocery shops. All of their mock meats are alot cheaper. Also check if there are any farmers markets and grocery co-ops or discount supermarkets in the area that you live in. Farmers marets are amazing, at my local one I can spend $20 and come home with enough fresh fruit and veg to last almost a fortnight. And go at closing time! That's when everything is really being thrown away! Plus you are supporting local growers directly. Being vegan is always alot cheaper when compared to an omni diet.

And there is crazy-cheap website called Vitacost, which surprisingly is everything it promises and the postage is under $10. Truly it will blow your mind!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au