Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Leather

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Hannahcolby Hannahcolby NSW Posts: 93
1 12 Feb 2013
Ive only just noticed that my car steering wheel is made of leather. Nothing else in the car is, just the steering wheel.

I feel awful, disgusted, and upset.

I got the lower model with fabric seats to avoid leather.

Its like no matter how hard you try, animals will be killed and used for anything and everything.  sad cry
ReplyQuote

cupcake185 cupcake185 WA Posts: 34
2 12 Feb 2013
That really sucks sad guess it's time to bust out the covers! Can you change steering wheels to a non leather one? I don't know much about cars but you should be able to shouldn't you?

My brother in law and father in law both got new cars last week with silly overpowered engines they don't need - both have full leather interior and wood panelling stuff on the insides.. I personally don't see the point of leather seating in cars ESPECIALLY with the weather we get in Australia - who wants a piping hot seat in their car!?
ReplyQuote

Mary6 Mary6 NSW Posts: 152
3 12 Feb 2013
people find leather a sign of wealth so thats why they also have in it a lot f those sports cars that are way over priced
its like how fur is also a sign of wealth because its so expensive to buy
and who would want to in this heat
ReplyQuote

4 12 Feb 2013
people find leather a sign of wealth so thats why they also have in it a lot f those sports cars that are way over priced
its like how fur is also a sign of wealth because its so expensive to buy
ReplyQuote

5 12 Feb 2013
oops soz didn't mean to do it twice
ReplyQuote

Fish Fish VIC Posts: 149
6 12 Feb 2013
I know. The punching ball thing that hangs a wooden stand (in the fitness area of the gym) at school was made from leather! From India! Do you know how disgusting I felt that I had been punching a dead animals body? The cow could have been a lovely indian family's cow, that had been sold unknowingly to leather sellers. The cow would have been tortured and killed then stripped of it's skin. And then I start punching it!?

P.s for those who don't know, cows are sacred in India. Many poor families sell there cows to people, who promise them that they will have a good life. This cows are then taken across country with little regard for there wellbeing and killed. The cows probably had a better life than some of our cows but still. I felt like I was just adding another blow to the cow and the cow's family.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
7 13 Feb 2013
I know some vegans are disturbed by even walking past the meat section in the supermarket, but eventually i think that wears off and you just do your own thing.
Leather is everywhere and I'm desensitized to it.
Just ignore it. There's nothing you can do
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
8 13 Feb 2013
On the bus today I was really disgusted to think how many cows had to die for the seats. Disgusting!
ReplyQuote

Hannahcolby Hannahcolby NSW Posts: 93
9 13 Feb 2013
It is just heart breaking.. The strong bond that we vegans feel to animals, other people just look straight past. To think that an animal died to make somethings in my car. Its just not necessary. I would have been more then happy with a plastic steering wheel (half of it is plastic why not make the rest).

The human race has even gone as far as using cow hoofs to make plastic. I mean, its just discusting. Since when was it OK to take bits of a living creature to help make humans feel more luxurious?

What has the world come to.   scared
ReplyQuote

Aria Aria VIC Posts: 63
10 13 Feb 2013
Ah I feel you on this one! No matter what industry is stopped in using animal products, there will always be so many more, it seems it will never end. You can't really buy any new car without supporting companies that use leather, buying old vinyl seated cars would be the way to go. My husband and I wanted to buy a commodore and were told they don't come without leather currently. Disgusting. The salesman said "why don't you want leather? Cost?" I replied "no I don't want dead animal throughout my car", I hate how people don't make the connection with leather and the skin of a dead animal. Its like everything, pretty packaging from industries removes the link. Infuriating.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au