Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

When your core courses interfere with your ethics...

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
1 16 Feb 2013
I'm seriously considering switching to another course after the 1st year (since the 1st year core courses are all the same). In the third year I have two streams to choose from in my science course, one of them involving a compulsory "vertebrate pest management" (as if humans are not the greatest pests!) course with a 5 day field camp (which probably involves some hunting and shooting) and the other involving a 9 day camp on a sheep station (even though the focus is on plants). I know there are probably other uni students here who had to deal with animal testing etc. in their compulsory courses so I would like to know how you deal with those issues?
ReplyQuote

Kasey_Skinner Kasey_Skinner QLD Posts: 10
2 16 Feb 2013
Wow. What uni do you got to that shoots animals? :O what degree are you studying? I'm not an expert in uni stuff but I know that you're allowed to refuse to participate if it affects your religion, culture or beliefs. BUT in saying that I know some courses you are still expected to 'observe' if you refuse to take part (so that you 'understand').
I've just started  nursing course and everything is done by simulation but they still said if it makes us uncomfortble we don't have to do it but must observe.
Not sure I that helps but good luck happy
ReplyQuote

3 16 Feb 2013
Kasey_Skinner said:
Wow. What uni do you got to that shoots animals? :O what degree are you studying? I'm not an expert in uni stuff but I know that you're allowed to refuse to participate if it affects your religion, culture or beliefs. BUT in saying that I know some courses you are still expected to 'observe' if you refuse to take part (so that you 'understand').
I've just started  nursing course and everything is done by simulation but they still said if it makes us uncomfortble we don't have to do it but must observe.
Not sure I that helps but good luck happy
I'm not saying we are going to shoot animals... it's just a speculation of what the field trip MIGHT entail based on the content of the course lol
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
4 17 Feb 2013
Wait, so you can't choose an ethical course? I probably didn't read enough...
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
5 17 Feb 2013
Daft_Punk said:
(as if humans are not the greatest pests!
When cells multiply at an unnatural rate we call it cancer.

When humans do so we call it 'civilisation' wink
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
6 17 Feb 2013
MrIdentical said:
Daft_Punk said:
(as if humans are not the greatest pests!
When cells multiply at an unnatural rate we call it cancer.

When humans do so we call it 'civilisation' wink
That's pretty good!
ReplyQuote

The British Aussie The British Aussie SA Posts: 212
7 25 Feb 2013
Just speak to the course co ordinator. There is no point in jumping to conclusions and changing courses before you even know what the course entails and if it is a necessary requirement. I'm sure you'll be fine.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
8 26 Feb 2013
Suggest taking up a degree in ethics. Then you can yell at people and get HDs for it.
ReplyQuote

afimelb afimelb VIC Posts: 141
9 5 Mar 2013
im doing a subject that is focused on primary industries so production of food which of course includes meat... it doesnt help that my teacher has focused her career on meat production... the whole semester will be one it :/ so annoying.
ReplyQuote

10 7 Mar 2013
That sucks :/ Also, one of my biology pracs will involve horse blood (fortunately doesn't kill the horse, used to make anti-venom).

I'm going to plead other people in my prac group to do it and let me do the red onion one instead haha.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au