Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Another damn animal circus

1 - 7 of 7 posts

babynighthawk babynighthawk VIC Posts: 105
1 21 Feb 2013
I don't know if anybody else has seen these guys, but Stardust Circus is coming to Knox in Victoria. Does anybody know where/how I can complain about this? I'm writing a letter to Knox Council, what else can I do? Don't even get me started on animal circuses, grrrr.

On a slightly related topic, their ad was full of spelling errors  confused
ReplyQuote

Mary6 Mary6 NSW Posts: 152
2 21 Feb 2013
You could leaflet the area telling people about the cruelty
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
3 21 Feb 2013
I saw stardust when I was like 7. I thought it was great but as we were leaving I saw the elephants chained up outside, swinging their trunks. I asked my dad why they had looked so happy during the performances and he said "Because that's the only time they get unchained."

That was almost twenty years ago, I can't believe they're still allowed to do this.

Whatever you do, I'm sure organisations like PETA will want to help. I think your best bet is to try to get your local media to print/post/play a segment regarding animal cruelty, and yeah as Mary6 says leafletting is always a bonus.

I'm pretty handy if you want some help designing a specific leaflet.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
4 22 Feb 2013
Unleashed Admin
When you download our circus flyer we include a cover page with some advice on how best to distribute leaflets: http://www.animalsaustralia.org/documents/downloads/26360_Circus_Advocacy_Flyer.pdf

We don't recommend standing directly outside the circus, or holding a protest outside. In our experience you're better off trying to convince people not to attend the circus before they turn up. By the time they rock up, most of them have their minds made up. That way you can also avoid any heated confrontation with the circus owners (which risks making animal advocates look bad, even when we're on our best behaviour).

In addition to letter box drops in the local area, putting flyers in local businesses, etc, it would also be worth writing a letter to your local paper to highlight your concerns about animal circuses (and to call on the local council to ban circuses from performing on council land); and of course it'd be good to write a letter direct to the local council making the same request.
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
5 22 Feb 2013
Jesse said:
When you download our circus flyer we include a cover page with some advice on how best to distribute leaflets: http://www.animalsaustralia.org/documents/downloads/26360_Circus_Advocacy_Flyer.pdf

We don't recommend standing directly outside the circus, or holding a protest outside. In our experience you're better off trying to convince people not to attend the circus before they turn up. By the time they rock up, most of them have their minds made up. That way you can also avoid any heated confrontation with the circus owners (which risks making animal advocates look bad, even when we're on our best behaviour).

In addition to letter box drops in the local area, putting flyers in local businesses, etc, it would also be worth writing a letter to your local paper to highlight your concerns about animal circuses (and to call on the local council to ban circuses from performing on council land); and of course it'd be good to write a letter direct to the local council making the same request.
Sound advice!
ReplyQuote

Velouria Velouria VIC Posts: 107
6 22 Feb 2013

Just email a sentence or two, that's all it takes, letters matter folks and if not for this time for next time........
ReplyQuote

bonhomi bonhomi VIC Posts: 8
7 24 Feb 2013
Jesse said:

so jesse you dont want me to tell the peeps here about the protest organised by 'freedom for circus animals in australia' thats going ahead next week??  wink
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au