Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Australian Agriculture

1 - 6 of 6 posts

animegirl17671 animegirl17671 NSW Posts: 14
1 18 Nov 2009
I'm totally against cruelty to animals, abuse and rape. I've also read a lot of different peoples opinions about buying products that aren’t made by child labour but has anyone thought about where the food comes from and how?
Did you know that where slowly well actually the process is speeding up but any way were destroying our own environment and I'm not talking about pollution though that is bad, I'm referring to our farming methods. Were causing salinity, erosion, compaction, destroying habitats and killing off our native flora and fauna, while degrading our soil quality because farmers either don't care, won’t take extra methods to stop it or can’t afford to.
ReplyQuote

Cait Cait NSW Posts: 38
2 18 Nov 2009
yeah dude your right but ur also wrong, there are many environmentally friendly farms. many people are now into organic food so the farmers alter their methods to suit the consumers also farmers out into effect startegies to minimise salinity, build the structure of their soils and also many farms are planting native trees and leaving areas on their properties for native animals. people are slowly learning ways so there is less of an impact on the environment but of course we still have a long way to go and have many things we need to fix that we have previously damaged.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
3 18 Nov 2009
Unleashed Admin
Scary stuff!

And unfortunately the Aus government has just decided to exempt farmers from the new emissions trading scheme. The reason why? Because it will affect them more than most ... huh duh! .. Of course it'll affect them. Their industry is such a big part of the problem. (http://www.unleashed.org.au/change_the_world/go_veg/environment.php)
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
4 18 Nov 2009
yeah i did know that - did you also know that farms near beaches ruin the salt water and turn it muddy?
ReplyQuote

Kayla Kayla WA Posts: 39
5 18 Nov 2009
hey ur right but this is just another reason to oppose animal production agriculture because it causes all of those problems! erosion and salinity from the clearing of large amounts of land to grow pastures for livestock. pesticides, herbicides, fungicides sprayed on the pastures which in turn run-off into our waterways cause algae blooms, kill insects and birds, poison water resources etc. clearing also contributed to the loss of flora and fauna. compaction from large amounts of live stock and tractors. im not implying its the animals fault because its not, its the farmers fault for raising large numbers of animals and breeding so many. im not sure of the point you were making, but if we used the land for horticultural crops instead most of these environmental issues wouldnt be a problem...thats the point im making
ReplyQuote

MerlinLemon MerlinLemon VIC Posts: 291
6 18 Nov 2009
Jesse said:
Scary stuff!

And unfortunately the Aus government has just decided to exempt farmers from the new emissions trading scheme. The reason why? Because it will affect them more than most ... huh duh! .. Of course it'll affect them. Their industry is such a big part of the problem.
really? i didn't know that. anyhoo, i agree, the livestock on farms are supposed to be - oh, man! i can't think of that word! - guilty (or sumthing) for one third of the worlds green house gas. aren't they?
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au