Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dissection

In High School

1 - 10 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Sally-Jane Sally-Jane WA Posts: 36
1 8 Mar 2013
Our biology teacher is planning to do a dissection workshop with our class where we have to dissect a rat!! The human biology class has to dissect a pregnant rat!! I don't want to do it but we have to. I've told her that I want to read the ethics report before anything else but I still really don't want to do it. Any suggestions or things that have gotten others out of dissection workshops!!! PLEASE HELP
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 8 Mar 2013
There is no chance they can make you do that class. Talk to your principal and express that it is against your morals to partake in such an inhumane activity. You have a right to object to it.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 8 Mar 2013
You should definitely tell her that you don't want to participate. It worked for me....
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
4 8 Mar 2013
Sally-Jane said:
Our biology teacher is planning to do a dissection workshop with our class where we have to dissect a rat!! The human biology class has to dissect a pregnant rat!! I don't want to do it but we have to. I've told her that I want to read the ethics report before anything else but I still really don't want to do it. Any suggestions or things that have gotten others out of dissection workshops!!! PLEASE HELP
I'm relatively certain that by law they are required to offer an alternative to students whose moral/religious beliefs don't allow them to participate.
ReplyQuote

Cransamswick Cransamswick WA Posts: 5
5 8 Mar 2013
When rats are used in dissections for schools are they killed humanly? Because I don't feel comfortable with dissecting one anyway especially if they suffered!
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
6 8 Mar 2013
There's no way your teacher can make you do it. Just tell her calmly in one of the lessons before that you can't participate in dissection as it's against your beliefs. No need to speak to your principal or kick up a massive fuss - it at best achieves the same results, and you're most likely to be written off as "some crazy twelve-year-old vegetarian."

Good on you for not dissecting! I did exactly what I said above and it worked for me happy
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
7 8 Mar 2013
They have to offer you an alternative, generally because of religous reasons. happy

You will be able to get out of it, talk to the head of science at your school, and then bring it up with your principle.

Courses I have done in high school from year 8 science to VCE Psychology, I have been able to get out of with a little persuasion happy
ReplyQuote

le gabrielle le gabrielle QLD Posts: 214
8 8 Mar 2013
Ugh dissections. You should be able to refuse to do it on ethical grounds.
I'm in a similar position - my biology teacher said that for senior biology, dissections are compulsory. He said although I may not have to physically dissect, I am still expected to observe and otherwise participate. His initial plan was that we would dissect a still born pig sad but now apparently it's rats instead. I tried to ask him what lesson it was (so I could... not attend) but he wouldn't even tell me? He knows I'm vegan and that it goes against my personal ethics, but I don't know what else to do in terms of approaching the situation.
ReplyQuote

Butterfree Butterfree WA Posts: 64
9 8 Mar 2013
Just take the day off school!
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
10 8 Mar 2013
le gabrielle said:
Ugh dissections. You should be able to refuse to do it on ethical grounds.
I'm in a similar position - my biology teacher said that for senior biology, dissections are compulsory. He said although I may not have to physically dissect, I am still expected to observe and otherwise participate. His initial plan was that we would dissect a still born pig sad but now apparently it's rats instead. I tried to ask him what lesson it was (so I could... not attend) but he wouldn't even tell me? He knows I'm vegan and that it goes against my personal ethics, but I don't know what else to do in terms of approaching the situation.
Tell them that you're a buddhist and that you are forbidden to participate or even observe in the destruction of life as you will destroy its karmic cycle and forever wipe that being from the face of the karmic wheel.

That's bad juju there!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au