Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dissection

In High School

11 - 20 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
11 9 Mar 2013
MrIdentical said:
le gabrielle said:
Ugh dissections. You should be able to refuse to do it on ethical grounds.
I'm in a similar position - my biology teacher said that for senior biology, dissections are compulsory. He said although I may not have to physically dissect, I am still expected to observe and otherwise participate. His initial plan was that we would dissect a still born pig sad but now apparently it's rats instead. I tried to ask him what lesson it was (so I could... not attend) but he wouldn't even tell me? He knows I'm vegan and that it goes against my personal ethics, but I don't know what else to do in terms of approaching the situation.
Tell them that you're a buddhist and that you are forbidden to participate or even observe in the destruction of life as you will destroy its karmic cycle and forever wipe that being from the face of the karmic wheel.

That's bad juju there!
If you've been taught about buddhism earlier in the year then they cant really use anything against you- So using that later! clap
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
12 10 Mar 2013
Sally-Jane said:
Our biology teacher is planning to do a dissection workshop with our class where we have to dissect a rat!! The human biology class has to dissect a pregnant rat!! I don't want to do it but we have to. I've told her that I want to read the ethics report before anything else but I still really don't want to do it. Any suggestions or things that have gotten others out of dissection workshops!!! PLEASE HELP
You absolultely do not have to do it. All you should have to say is you'd rather sit this one out and they won't try to force you unless you have an uneducated teacher on this matter. If that happens go higher up. Someone will definitely listen even if you have to go to the principal. I know for certain that it's against their own rules to try and force you to dissect if you don't want to.
ReplyQuote

13 10 Mar 2013
Cransamswick said:
When rats are used in dissections for schools are they killed humanly? Because I don't feel comfortable with dissecting one anyway especially if they suffered!
What is killed humanely?
ReplyQuote

14 10 Mar 2013
le gabrielle said:
I'm in a similar position - my biology teacher said that for senior biology, dissections are compulsory. He said although I may not have to physically dissect, I am still expected to observe and otherwise participate. His initial plan was that we would dissect a still born pig sad but now apparently it's rats instead. I tried to ask him what lesson it was (so I could... not attend) but he wouldn't even tell me? He knows I'm vegan and that it goes against my personal ethics, but I don't know what else to do in terms of approaching the situation.
Are you in highschool? My Dad is a principal and I can assure you that it is in no way ever compulsory!
ReplyQuote

le gabrielle le gabrielle QLD Posts: 214
15 10 Mar 2013
KirstyGirl said:
le gabrielle said:
Are you in highschool? My Dad is a principal and I can assure you that it is in no way ever compulsory!
yeah, I'm in grade 12. my teacher is pulling the whole "if you don't do the coursework you won't get your course credits and if you don't have enough credits you won't graduate" thing.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
16 10 Mar 2013
KirstyGirl said:
Cransamswick said:
When rats are used in dissections for schools are they killed humanly? Because I don't feel comfortable with dissecting one anyway especially if they suffered!
What is killed humanely?
Good point! Animals in the dissecting business are definitely not killed humanely.
ReplyQuote

Sally-Jane Sally-Jane WA Posts: 36
17 11 Mar 2013
KirstyGirl said:
Cransamswick said:
What is killed humanely?
NOTHING!! They can't choose not to be dissected and therefore it is inhumane!!
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
18 11 Mar 2013
le gabrielle said:
yeah, I'm in grade 12. my teacher is pulling the whole "if you don't do the coursework you won't get your course credits and if you don't have enough credits you won't graduate" thing.
What a load of crap! I did biology in yr 11 and 12. I was never made to do anything I found morally wrong. Go above their head, they can't make you do it. No way it will affect your results, you might just have to do extra reading or something. Can't believe in this day and age schools still do this. Surely there's enough videos of dissections or simulations on the net!
ReplyQuote

MrIdentical MrIdentical QLD Posts: 124
19 11 Mar 2013
*Steph* said:
le gabrielle said:
What a load of crap! I did biology in yr 11 and 12. I was never made to do anything I found morally wrong. Go above their head, they can't make you do it. No way it will affect your results, you might just have to do extra reading or something. Can't believe in this day and age schools still do this. Surely there's enough videos of dissections or simulations on the net!
We can now produce a functioning 3D model of an organ as small as the last segment of your thumb via ultrasound.

We can also recreate that model using a 3D printer.

Yet we still need to slice things open to learn about them.

I quote Bones McCoy: Drilling holes in his head is not the answer!
ReplyQuote

Tigers are Awesome Tigers are Awesome WA Posts: 30
20 12 Mar 2013
I asked my mum to write me a note excusing me from the upcoming dissection, but she said she wouldn't because she doesn't 'think strongly of it' even though I explained to her that it goes against my morals. Am I over reacting or is this unfair??  angry
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au