Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dissection

In High School

21 - 24 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
21 12 Mar 2013
Tigers are Awesome said:
I asked my mum to write me a note excusing me from the upcoming dissection, but she said she wouldn't because she doesn't 'think strongly of it' even though I explained to her that it goes against my morals. Am I over reacting or is this unfair??  angry
TOTALLY unfair!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
22 12 Mar 2013
le gabrielle said:
KirstyGirl said:
le gabrielle said:
Ugh dissections. You should be able to refuse to do it on ethical grounds.
I'm in a similar position - my biology teacher said that for senior biology, dissections are compulsory. He said although I may not have to physically dissect, I am still expected to observe and otherwise participate. His initial plan was that we would dissect a still born pig sad but now apparently it's rats instead. I tried to ask him what lesson it was (so I could... not attend) but he wouldn't even tell me? He knows I'm vegan and that it goes against my personal ethics, but I don't know what else to do in terms of approaching the situation.
Are you in highschool? My Dad is a principal and I can assure you that it is in no way ever compulsory!
yeah, I'm in grade 12. my teacher is pulling the whole "if you don't do the coursework you won't get your course credits and if you don't have enough credits you won't graduate" thing.
Definitely wrong there. As I said go higher up your teacher is just an idiot, mean or very badly misinformed.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
23 12 Mar 2013
Tigers are Awesome said:
I asked my mum to write me a note excusing me from the upcoming dissection, but she said she wouldn't because she doesn't 'think strongly of it' even though I explained to her that it goes against my morals. Am I over reacting or is this unfair??  angry
You shouldn't even have to ask in the first place. This is not compulsory to your education. All you have to say is you'd rather not when the time comes and it should be fine because under law... that's how it is here.
ReplyQuote

Daft_Punk Daft_Punk SA Posts: 139
24 12 Mar 2013
when i was in high school i didnt do much of the pracs myself and just stood there and let people in my prac group do it

also if you're not in year 11 or 12 yet and planning on doing biology so you can study it at uni, don't. do chemistry instead. it's actually useful for uni biology, but high school biology isnt.
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au