Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I lost a very dear friend today

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
1 10 Mar 2013
Around 2 years ago someone told me about a kitten that lived with them but was basically a feral. The owner had the cat since birth but never held it, never showed it any kind if love, just provided food. She got to a point where she said if she could catch it she would let it go up in the bushland behind her house. Of course once I heard this I said I would take the kitten and did it a good home once I had rehabilitated it. It took a few weeks but one evening I got a phone call saying she had trapped the kitten who was most likely beyond help. I picked up the kitten and took it home.
The first time I held him he pooed on me, that's how scared he was. The next night he peed on me. After a while of only feeding him by hand he slowly came around to the idea of human interaction. I fell in love with him. His cheeky personality, his timidness when strangers were around.  
He was a house cat, only outside when he managed to escape and would always be under the house until he was hungry, usually the next morning.
Last night when I was calling my dogs to come inside he snuck out. I went to bed knowing he would be under the house hunting mice or whatever he loved doing. Usually around 6am he would start crying by the back door. This morning he didn't. My husband came in and said he hadn't seen him. Very unusual.
Puss died sometime last night, my husband found him up the road, he had been hit. I can't even express how devastated I am. We had him only a few years but he made such an impact on us. He will be sorely missed.
Rest in peace Puss.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 10 Mar 2013
So sorry to hear about Puss, that is absolutely devastating news. You did your best and gave him a life that he would have otherwise been denied of. Good on you for rescuing him, I hope you're okay! Hugs to you!

P.S, is Puss the cat in your picture?
ReplyQuote

3 10 Mar 2013
Thanks. I keep remembering things about him. He would come in and announce himself in the mornings which would wake the dogs up who would then jump on us to wake us up. Once the dogs were fed he would be fed. Clever little bugger knew how to get fed when he wanted it!

The cat in my profile is actually one of my other cats, Jeebus. If I can bare to look at pics later on I might post some of my babies.

I know I won't feel so horrible soon. I just need time to grieve I guess.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
4 10 Mar 2013
So sad! I lost one of my cats a few years ago too!  sad sad sad cry cry cry cry so sorry RIP
ReplyQuote

5 10 Mar 2013
Thank you.
ReplyQuote

Aria22 Aria22 VIC Posts: 4
6 10 Mar 2013
That is extremely sad news and I am so sorry to hear. Words cannot be of much comfort, none the less remember how you gave him a life, a caring and loving home. Circumstances out of our control that result in such loss is so saddening. I hope that you and your family are ok and get through these hard few days, weeks, months... Whatever it may be.
ReplyQuote

7 10 Mar 2013
Beautiful words, thanks Aria.
ReplyQuote

Butterfree Butterfree WA Posts: 64
8 10 Mar 2013
Oh sweetie, Im so sorry for your loss! It's a beautiful story, and I take my hat off to you for taking on the life of such a troubled little kitty. You gave Puss a good and loving home, and so he has lived a wonderful life in your hands
ReplyQuote

9 10 Mar 2013
Thanks so much. I think it's going to take some time adjusting to him not being around anymore :-/

I think I will adopt/rescue again sometime soon as while I can save another life, I should.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au