Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pig racing and diving

Is it cruel?

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Mary6 Mary6 NSW Posts: 152
1 10 Mar 2013
Hey guys
So I was just looking at the sydney royal Easter show website and they said they had pig racing and diving and I was wondering if there was any cruelty behind this? I suspect there may be some depending on the owners. What do u guys think or know about this?
Thx
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 11 Mar 2013
It probably is cruel. Animals like pigs would have to be forced to race and i know over here in the US there is some pretty similar stuff and it is totally cruel.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
3 11 Mar 2013
I've never witnessed pig racing or diving, but if the pigs are anything like my piggy Shilo, he gets scared at loud noises and large crowds. The environment would not be ideal for young piglets.

It says on there website that "miss piggy" will dive off a 5 metre high board into a pool, I can't even imagine a pig jumping off that.  Has anyone ever witnessed this before?
ReplyQuote

EmmaG89 EmmaG89 NSW Posts: 86
4 11 Mar 2013
Unfortunately, I can't see any difference between using animals for entertainment at the show and using animals for entertainment at a circus. While their homelife may be marginally better, forcing an animal off a plank into water doesn't really sound very loving. sad
ReplyQuote

5 11 Mar 2013
OinkMoo said:
It says on there website that "miss piggy" will dive off a 5 metre high board into a pool, I can't even imagine a pig jumping off that.  Has anyone ever witnessed this before?
No, but wow! I know they do that to donkeys and im actually not surprised they do that to pigs.
ReplyQuote

6 11 Mar 2013
In one rodeo in my own state one gruesome act is to grease pigs (Im afraid to say lard) and have "Brave contestants" try to wrestle them to the ground. Can you imagine how that pig would feel? That rodeo specifically does some pretty bad things to their animals.
ReplyQuote

Caito Caito WA Posts: 11
7 14 Mar 2013
I remember seeing one of these shows about 10 years ago, ironically I was already meat-free by that stage, but because I was so young I failed to comprehend the cruelty and exploitation involved. Looking back, it must have been terrifying for the pig, I don't even want to know how they train them to do that :/
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au