Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Euthanasia of pets

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

EllDee EllDee SA Posts: 9
1 12 Mar 2013
Fuel for thought, do people believe in euthanasing sick and/or suffering pets? Do vegans support doing this? are there particular conditions? I am a vegan with a sick and old pet, so it's something i'd appreciate fresh opinions on.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
2 12 Mar 2013
It depends. If your pet can get better and then live out his life, then no euthanasia is needed. But if he is really sick and miserable, it might be the most compassionate thing to do. sad
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
3 13 Mar 2013
If a animal has a illness or injury that isn't curable and causing them discomfort or of the animal is at the last stage of there life and they are no longer comfortable I don't have a problem with Euthanasia.

Yesterday we had a cow that had a terminal cancer tumour put to sleep, she also had a 3 week old calf that we now have to hand rear with the other bobby cavles. We tryed
every thing to save the cow, surgery, a variety of treatments but it just kept coming back and the final time it was very aggressive and the vet recommended to have her put to sleep. Dad purchased her for the sale yards when she had the cancer and was pregnant  to save her but unfortunatly we were unable to.

I was with the vet when she was Euthanised, it is a very fast and peaceful procedure. I had 2 choices a) directly insert the green dream or b) sadate her first and then give her the green dream. I chose B. I held her head as she was given the sedation and she simply laid down in a comfortable position, laided her head on my lap and fell asleep, the vet then inserted the green dream and she slowed her breathing and silently passed away.  I found it very peaceful. If I had to euthanise I would recommend to sadate the animal first, it may cost a bit more but it truely is worth it.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
4 13 Mar 2013
OinkMoo said:
If I had to euthanise I would recommend to sadate the animal first, it may cost a bit more but it truely is worth it.
They euthanize animals fully conscious??!!  scared
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
5 13 Mar 2013
Kelsey1 said:
OinkMoo said:
If I had to euthanise I would recommend to sadate the animal first, it may cost a bit more but it truely is worth it.
When I did work experience at 2 different vets they gave the option to either sedate the animal first or not and most people said no because of the price.  I had to hold a few animals as they were put to sleep and when given the green dream they were gone within 5 seconds after been injected, it's faster then been sedated but some of the animals had convolutions after been injected - it was a 50/50 type of thing. It was distressing to watch and I'm sure it was distressing to the animal as well, that is why I recommend to sedate first.
ReplyQuote

EmmaG89 EmmaG89 NSW Posts: 86
6 13 Mar 2013
I'm going through the same thing at the moment. My Jack Russel is 13 and he has doggy parkinsons and doggy dementia. My partner and I have been discussing what we should do, and while he still happily greets us at the door and can run around the back yard, we'll leave him to live a happy life. But he's getting more and more confused, just staring at the walls, forgetting who I am and biting, having accidents all over the house, barking all night (I want to get him a night light to see if that will help). But I just can't bear the thought of knowing a time and day is set aside to end his life. But then I don't know if that's me being selfish.

This is the hardest issue I've ever had to wade through, and I just wish he could live forever. As someone who watched their Mum and Grandma die of cancer, I know that it is a compassionate choice to not allowing suffering. But it just tears me up inside.

Thankyou for sharing your experiences, it makes it a bit more bearable if I know what to expect.

(Sorry to highjack your post!)
ReplyQuote

Vegan Safe Vegan Safe SA Posts: 106
7 13 Mar 2013
Its funny to think that we are often willing to euthanise our pets, though they don't have a choice, but so up in arms about euthanising sick humans, who often do have a choice.

Personally I do believe there is a place for it.  Just like we would not wish to see a loved one suffering, nor do we want to see our pets suffering.  

I had to put my cat down several years ago and it was the hardest thing I had ever had to do.  And it was not like I had any forewarning to think about it, as the poor love was in pain and paralysed one night after coming back from the cinema.  I had to catch a taxi and my cat was so scared that she peed all over me.  I was an emotional wreck but had to make a decision that not.  I did not really have much choice but I know that it was the right one.  There is nothing the vet could have done.  Not only did I have to make that hard decision but also was then asked if I wanted her cremated or buried, and if I wanted her cremated, if I wanted her cremated separately or with other animals.  Not the best time to be thinking about these things.  I was also wracked with guilt because I kept telling my cat that I everything was going to be alright, and of course they weren't.  The last thing I saw was her looking lovingly into my eyes as I stroked her paws.  I was bawling my eyes out.  And did so for about two weeks.

If I had not put my cat down that night she would have still been in pain.  At the end of the day it is best to listen to your vet, as long as you trust there judgement, to what they think is best.  No animal should have to suffer in pain.
ReplyQuote

EllDee EllDee SA Posts: 9
8 13 Mar 2013
Thank you everyone for your in puts and stories. It seems like more people do agree with my gut feeling which is that it is a good idea, at least at a certain stage of suffering. And it is reassuring to know other people are contemplating this moral dilemma also. I suppose the real question is of when.

And yes as long as they let me sedate for a rat, i will choose to have that first, when its comes to something like that i really dont mind the cost. I do know of them convolting, and it also must be such a shock to be out in a few seconds so i agree, a sedation prior is the best method.
ReplyQuote

Sakura Sakura VIC Posts: 82
9 14 Mar 2013
I have been with 2 pets when they were euthanized and I know it was the right thing to do as the alternative would have been a slow and painful death. So while it can be a hard choice I believe ending their suffering is better than doing nothing.
And having a day/time set in advance for their death may seem odd but it has a positive aspect in that you can spend their last days with them unlike when someone dies suddenly and your left thinking about what you would have done differently had you known your time together was almost up.
ReplyQuote

Aria! Aria! VIC Posts: 4
10 14 Mar 2013
OinkMoo said:
Kelsey1 said:
OinkMoo said:
When I did work experience at 2 different vets they gave the option to either sedate the animal first or not and most people said no because of the price.  I had to hold a few animals as they were put to sleep and when given the green dream they were gone within 5 seconds after been injected, it's faster then been sedated but some of the animals had convolutions after been injected - it was a 50/50 type of thing. It was distressing to watch and I'm sure it was distressing to the animal as well, that is why I recommend to sedate first.
Goodness, I never knew of this. Thanks for sharing that info. I believe that if your pet is in pain and has no hope of recovery then it can be the compassionate thing to do, though extremely hard on your part of course, but just remember your reasoning for doing it - your pets best interest... And now with this info, sedation and then euthanize.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au