Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Desexing pets

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
1 14 Apr 2013
I have an interesting topic... some people will have very strong views. We obviously support animal rights, but do we have the right to desex our pets?

I am on the fence about this issue. I have two cats - both desexed as i adopted them from shelters, so it was done before I met them. But, should I be the one responsible for taking away their right to offspring? I understand we do not want feral cats everywhere, and it would be my responsibility as the pet owner to look after the kittens or rehome them, but should I be making that decision for another creature? I certainly would not be impressed if my right to have offspring was taken away without my consent.

I have always felt really uncomfortable about this issue, its the same feeling as drinking cows milk -another species milk not meant for me, and wanted to know everyones thoughts on this one?
ReplyQuote

twisted soul twisted soul QLD Posts: 145
2 14 Apr 2013
I does seem wrong to be removing their right to offspring (daunting life for an animal that can never reproduce). Although, it is easier for controlling them; if you keep a male and a female dog together and do not want puppies it is ok. My pets were not desexed and had three babies, so cute!!
ReplyQuote

MissLiaMack MissLiaMack SA Posts: 53
3 14 Apr 2013
Desexing of domesticated animals is important in protected our native fauna. It's also important to the animals themselves. I've witnessed kitten dumpings, I've witnessed feral cats having babies and they are going around starving. If you yourself aren't able to care for the cat you have, plus their offspring, and their offsprings offspring you should get them desexed. I've only ever adpoted or rescued cats and don't believe in buying them from breeders or pet stores.
ReplyQuote

MissLiaMack MissLiaMack SA Posts: 53
4 14 Apr 2013
Not to mention marking of territory by cats which stinks, cat fights, you can't keep males together and you cant keep females and males together. You'll need to keep them locked inside so they don't get impregnanted. When female cats are in heat they just yowl all day.
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
5 14 Apr 2013
i guess this kind of brings up the 'should we have pets' concept too...which has been discussed here before

anyway my cats are 'done' (cos i just cant keep them from breeding) and my 2( male) rabbits - because they were spraying and fighting.! - not cool -_-

i have 2 dogs, My younger female dog  is done as my male dog is a lot older and i felt it was unfair to suddenly put him through a castration after all these years just because the female came alongl. it was so stressful when she was on heat and keeping them apart was a nightmare.

the male dog is now 10 years old and he is still 'entire'. It actually really annoys me that the council charge me an extra $40 to register him because he isnt sterilised!! sad i dont have multiple un-desexed dogs and he doesnt cause any problems. grrr
ReplyQuote

The British Aussie The British Aussie SA Posts: 212
6 14 Apr 2013
Unless you are qualified to breed an animals then yes it should be desexed if there is possibility that it could become pregnant, i.e. you have dogs of the opposite sex or an outdoor cat.

This is when we have problems such as the sale of animals of gumtree, animals dying because their owners don't know what to do when their animal is giving birth and there are very few owners that can verify the full extent of the health of an animal you are buying or they have bred from not to mention very few owners can afford to vaccinate a litter (which needs to be done before the age they can be removed from their mother).

By desexing an animal at the appropriate age you are not denying them anything. And done by an appropriate vet then it's a very quick to recover prodecure that can in turn avoid your pet being exposed to a lot of killer cancers and other problems in the future.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
7 15 Apr 2013
Fixing companion animals prevents some illnesses, controls overpopulation, and spares a lot of fights and soiled furniture. I would fix them.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
8 15 Apr 2013
I have pondered this question before. I don't believe we have the right to do it to them, I felt really sorry for my babies when I had them done BUT I do believe we have a moral obligation to desex. Domestic companion animals are already soo far removed from how they origionated that if we don't take control the populations would be totally out of control. It also has health benefits and lessens the likelihood of fighting, etc. For cats especially we must take any measure to desex as 75 million wildlife A DAY die at the paws of hungry or playful cats, which also goes hand in hand with keeping cats in enclosures or indoors permanently. My cats are both indoors all the time and they are perfectly happy and healthy. I know it is not in their instincts and all that crap but if they were as they should be we wouldn't have them here, they would all still be wild and the breeds we know would not even exist.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
9 15 Apr 2013
In an ideal world, we would have no need to desex animals, and not take away their right to have children. However, so many horrible things happen to the dogs and cats that are already born - pound overcrowding, euthanasia, homelessness and all that it entails. I think that the potential babies have a right to not live in those situations, and that it is necessary for us to desex animals to prevent this.
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
10 16 Apr 2013
I look at it like this: there are so many abuses associated with unspayed animals. They get dumped (mums and babies and male dogs if they are too "humpy" or show aggression), it's hard to find good homes and garuantee them a good life when you give them to a stranger, undesexed females can end up in continuous cycle of breeding which ruins their health, and then when/if they finally end up in a shelter there's the possibility that they will be destroyed. Not to mention the problem of feral animals preying upon native fauna...the list is endless.

So if you don't desex, you perpetuate these abuses.

Desexing is (IMHO) definitely the lesser of all of these evils. Domesticated companion animals may miss out on having their own family, they miss out on alot of things. When you take in a rescue I think you just have to accept that and be the best human family you can.

I don't believe anyone should be allowed to breed animals. These same bad things can happen to purebreds...how would you know if the person you sell it to isn't planning on breeding it unscrupulously? How do you know if they won't dump or neglect it? What about breeds that have known genetic defects?

In SA the pet registration laws were toughened up a couple of years ago, but the most essential thing was not introduced: compulsory desexing. So the shelters are still being left to try and stick a band-aid over the gaping wound that bad pet owners who leave their cats/dogs to breed all over the place with no thought to the consequences create.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au