Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Essential Reading for the Young Activist

What makes your reading list?

1 - 6 of 6 posts

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
1 26 Apr 2013
Nothing makes for a stronger voice for animals than being well versed in your AR literature. It makes it much easier to speak confidently with those who do not yet share your views, and helps you to win people over.

I believe it is useful to be able to talk to people easily about eating veg, showing that you can have wonderful food as well, debunking all the negative nutritional myths about a veg diet, knowing all the health advantages, understanding what truly happens to animals used for food, entertainment, clothing, experimentation, and bred in mills for pet stores, and knowing the environmental impact of meat.

I have a vast collection of cookbooks, and a growing collection of AR literature as well. This is on my list:

-Gristle (Moby & Miyun Park)
-Eating Animals (Jonathan Safran Foer)
-The China Study (Dr. T. Collin Campbell)

And an army of vegan cookbooks ranging from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, to Party Vegan, to 500 Vegan Recipes, and my latest beauty of simple delights, The Italian Vegan.

I've just ordered a couple from the Unleashed store as well:
-Striking at the Roots (Mark Hawthorne)
-Animal Liberation (Peter Singer)

I also recommend Earthlings, and the Gary Yourofsky Georgia Tech lecture. I'm currently streaming 101 Reasons to Go Vegan as well, which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-F8whzJfJY

Have you read any of these? Do you have another favourite to add to the list?
ReplyQuote

BFV BFV SA Posts: 138
2 26 Apr 2013
Here's a great booklet called 'Eating Up The World' from the Vegetarian Network Victoria, about the environmental consequences of eating meat:

http://www.vnv.org.au/site/files/articles/eatinguptheworldv3.pdf
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
3 26 Apr 2013
I almost bought Animal Liberation at PETA but i bought the wrong book. I will definitely try to get it again.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
4 27 Apr 2013
My favourites are Eating Animals and Animal Liberation, by Jonathan Safran Foer and Peter Singer respectively.

There's also one called But You Kill Ants, which I bought from crueltyfreeshop.com.au. It's full of short answers to combat all sorts of oppositions to veganism - from killing ants to needing milk. It's short and easy to understand, and it's great to understand these topics so you can defend and explain veganism when you need to.

happy
ReplyQuote

Lancastrian Lancastrian VIC Posts: 310
5 29 Apr 2013
I would say that Keith Mann's book "From Dusk Til Dawn" is essential to understand the movement from a British perspective.
ReplyQuote

AC AZZA AC AZZA VIC Posts: 158
6 29 Apr 2013
Glad I found this, going to go to the local library and see how many of these great books I can acquire.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au