Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

"Beyond the Divide" WTF

1 - 10 of 38 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Velouria Velouria VIC Posts: 107
1 3 May 2013
Hi guys,

I was horrified last night to stumble across a program on Channel 31 called "Beyond the Divide,"  it's a program that glorifies hunting as a legitimate sport and entertainment for viewers.  I didn't see it completely from the start but the bits I saw were quite horrible and upsetting.  This person had shot a gorgeous stag and was holding his head up by the horns after the event in such a way that was disgusting and disrespectful, he then continued to go on about what a great set of horns it had, almost using the dead animal's head in a puppet motion as he rambled on about how thrilled he was about having killed it at long last.  

Here is some footage that I found on U Tube, a promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASAo3_LeS7Y  It's on a Thursday night at 9pm on Channel 31 for those that are curious.

If you've also come across this please feel free to let Channel 31 know that this is not on at:  http://www.c31.org.au/contact  At the end of the program they listed they also have a Facebook page under the same title "Beyond the Divide."

I'm actually not against hunting in legitimate circumstances where perhaps it might be required in tribal communities or the like for nutritional needs, as a purely vegetarian/vegan diet in such arid or extreme climates may not be beneficial or realistic unfortunately, Eskimos for example or in really arid places where vegetation is minimal.  But to see these two idiots parading around with their shot guns infuriates me, I give them points so to speak for at least consuming the meat at not letting the death be a waste, but they were also trophy hunting as this particular ignorant fool continued to ramble on about what a great head of horns the stag had, do doubt probably now hanging on one of his walls at home.  

This is the producer's email by the way as well:    

I think it's good to be polite but to also get your point across when voicing one's outrage, though gawd that can be a struggle at times.  

I don't see this as any better or worse than eating an animal from a factory farm, I'm more offended that they have created a program about it and that they believe people would find this entertaining, WTF.  They seem to think it's appropriate to put such a screwed a program on tv giving people and children the idea that it's not such a bad thing, "animals are meant to be hunted and eaten."
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 3 May 2013
There's also a show on 7mate (along with a whole lot of other feral redneck hunting, killing for fun shows..) called Mounted in Alaska. All about the same sort of stuff from what I gathered from the ad. There is something seriously wrong with a person who is willing to do such things.
ReplyQuote

3 3 May 2013
This is the reply I got from the producer:

"Jane,

Glad you watched the show-  in our M timeslot, it has been a phenomenal success. Please enjoy the remainder of the series.

You will see plenty of bow hunting too in the future so there will be much more for you to watch in the series and be impressed by.

The esky was actually filled with the venison we harvested. Have you tried it before? It's very tasty to eat, extremely healthy and doesn't come from stressed animals born and bred for slaughter.

Sure sometimes we trophy hunt, sometimes we hunt for meat only, but we always utilise the animal. We also do kill for management.

Our modern culture is really no different to the tribal ones you mentioned, it has just been misled but radicals and antis that prefer to have their killing of caged animals contract done by others.

Tune in next week-I am sure you'll love it, also bring the kids for this one as they will learn a thing or two about society-and not sure where the bogans are you refer to? Maybe you were watching one of the fishing shows-not our show."

This show is happening here in Australia, I hope people get on board and email the producer and let Channel 31 know it's not acceptable, numbers speak volumes, please don't think your opinion doesn't matter, iif you do disagree with it that is.  It's all building blocks to the bigger picture.
ReplyQuote

4 3 May 2013
To complete the picture this is what I initially sent:

"Beyond the Divide" does not classify as entertainment or television watching for anyone, especially children.  You are trying to legitimise a so called sport as being the "norm" when in actual fact it's just a couple bogans stumbling across the country side using unfair weapons to bring down gorgeous animals, I would more impressed if they used a bow and arrow.

Get this crap off the air, it's clear it's just as much about trophy hunting no matter how much you may try to legitimise it with shots of beef cuts in the esky.

Tribal cultures are justified in doing such hunting for many reasons, what's your justification, to inflate one's ego?

Regards
ReplyQuote

5 3 May 2013
Oh, by the way I wouldn't be impressesed by an animal being killed by a bow and arrow, I was just putting forward that shooting with gun requires not as much skill, it's an unfair advantage (just thought I should clear that up).
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
6 3 May 2013
Velouria said:
This is the reply I got from the producer:

"Jane,

Glad you watched the show-  in our M timeslot, it has been a phenomenal success. Please enjoy the remainder of the series.

You will see plenty of bow hunting too in the future so there will be much more for you to watch in the series and be impressed by.

The esky was actually filled with the venison we harvested. Have you tried it before? It's very tasty to eat, extremely healthy and doesn't come from stressed animals born and bred for slaughter.

Sure sometimes we trophy hunt, sometimes we hunt for meat only, but we always utilise the animal. We also do kill for management.

Our modern culture is really no different to the tribal ones you mentioned, it has just been misled but radicals and antis that prefer to have their killing of caged animals contract done by others.

Tune in next week-I am sure you'll love it, also bring the kids for this one as they will learn a thing or two about society-and not sure where the bogans are you refer to? Maybe you were watching one of the fishing shows-not our show."

This show is happening here in Australia, I hope people get on board and email the producer and let Channel 31 know it's not acceptable, numbers speak volumes, please don't think your opinion doesn't matter, iif you do disagree with it that is.  It's all building blocks to the bigger picture.
W...T...F....
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
7 3 May 2013
Velouria said:
Oh, by the way I wouldn't be impressesed by an animal being killed by a bow and arrow, I was just putting forward that shooting with gun requires not as much skill, it's an unfair advantage (just thought I should clear that up).
Agreed. They made hunters in the promo look heroic. Stupid stupid stupid.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
8 4 May 2013
Yes, Bring the kids for this one! Teaching a child that it's perfectly ok to kill an animal for fun is the best thing you could possibly do for it! Mind you, most kids I know wouldn't be interested in seeing a dead animal on tv.

Bogans. Bogans everywhere.
ReplyQuote

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
9 5 May 2013
This is a disgusting response. Take it further with the ombudsman complaints. Its on their webpage under complaints. What a f** tossbag!
ReplyQuote

Rob_S Rob_S VIC Posts: 1
10 17 May 2013
Hi All,

I'm probably not your preferred type of person on this forum, I hunt and I eat meat.

But I only hunt to supply food to my table and for the purpose of eradicating vermin species within the Australian environment.

You may say that there is no need for me to hunt in this modern Australian Society, but I would like to propose the following answer to that line of thought. I eat meat and I'm not about to stop, so what is a better situation for the supply of that meat to my table?

1. farmed stock that is slaughtered in an meatworks where the animal is stressed beyond all belief by what's going on around it in the lead up to its death.

2. An animal grazing in the bush without a hint of an idea that I'm close by, the next second its dead. no stress, no panic in its last moments.

I don't agree with killing for pleasure, I will always try to bring down the intended target with one clean shot.

I have watched the show being spoken about here, and I will continue to watch this program as its trying to get people to hunt in a responsible manner, taking only what is needed for food or what needs to be removed from the environment for conservation needs. (pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits, donkeys, camels, hares, deer, and a whole list of other introduces species that are either destroying the environment of our native fauna or are competing with our native fauna for the space to live.)

You may not agree with hunting, and that's your right. But it's just as much my right to hunt and to live in a manner that I believe is supporting a better balanced Australian habitat, while delivering food to my table that is not the result of some farm bread animal that spent its last hour petrified of what was going on around it before it had its throat cut.

I applaud the producer and the team for trying to educate people about the right way to hunt, with respect for the animals and always at the forefront of each desicion to kill is the ability to take the animal cleanly.

One poster commented that it takes more skill with a bow than a rifle. different horses for different courses, a bow will seldom kill as quickly or cleanly as a rifle shot, with a bow the chance of injuring an animal without killing it is much higher. A bow tip simply cuts the flesh you are relying on a quick bleed out to bring the animal down. whereas the rifle bullet not only cuts the flesh and opens up vital organs resulting in the same blood loss it also has a hydrostatic shock wave that will destroy vital organs such as the heart and lungs, so should a shot be misplaced the resultant death of the animal is a lot faster than that of an animal injured by an arrow.

anyway these are just some thoughts from a different angle to one being taken by most of the previous posts. thanks for your time,

regards Rob.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au