Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

are choker chains cruel to dogs?

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

JessieCarmichael JessieCarmichael WA Posts: 3
1 5 May 2013
hello happy
yesterday my dad bought two choker chains for two of my dogs, a German shepherd, and a Husky..because out of my 5 dogs they are the only two who pull on the lead when we take them for walks.
when i took them for a walk today, i swapped the choker chains to normal collars while my dad wasn't watching; but he found out later.
he got really angry at me and said stuff like ''are you stupid? if you dont use a choker chain they wont learn'' or ''choker chains don't hurt them in any way because they have lots of muscles in their neck ''
is this true? does it not hurt them?
i dont know what to do, im scared that these chains hurt them.... sad
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
3 5 May 2013
JessieCarmichael said:
hello happy
yesterday my dad bought two choker chains for two of my dogs, a German shepherd, and a Husky..because out of my 5 dogs they are the only two who pull on the lead when we take them for walks.
when i took them for a walk today, i swapped the choker chains to normal collars while my dad wasn't watching; but he found out later.
he got really angry at me and said stuff like ''are you stupid? if you dont use a choker chain they wont learn'' or ''choker chains don't hurt them in any way because they have lots of muscles in their neck ''
is this true? does it not hurt them?
i dont know what to do, im scared that these chains hurt them.... sad
Chokers do hurt them. That's sort of the point. To give them a shock so they will be obedient.

I use a choker chain on my rottie (which looks remarkably like the rottie in your signature) as he is being trained as a security dog. But for just regular walks in the bush/park I use a normal collar (though he doesn't need one as he follows me everywhere anyway really).

I see other people using chokers and nearly decapitating the dogs when they correct them. I refuse to do that and only use it as a gentle reminder (which I think is just as effective as nearly ripping their heads off).
ReplyQuote

Mademoisella Mademoisella QLD Posts: 42
4 5 May 2013
Yes, I think they're cruel. It doesn't even stop them sometimes and you can hear them gasping for air! When I did some volunteer work a pro dog trainer told us to use harnesses as it takes away a lot of their pulling strength, gives u the power and doesn't hurt the dog which I agree with. ive used both.
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
5 6 May 2013
Yes they are absolutely CRUEL, you have muscles in your neck too, but would you like someone yanking a chain and choking you with it?
It says the cruelty right in the word "choker", how can choking not be cruel?

Get your dogs a harness, there are many designed to stop pulling without causing the animal pain.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
6 6 May 2013
Absolutely they are. They are what they're called. The choke the dog even when they're very slightly walking ahead. Also very dangerous. If you're dog needed to get away or the lead got stuck somehow the dog would be chocked to death. Definitely not ok.
ReplyQuote

JessieCarmichael JessieCarmichael WA Posts: 3
7 6 May 2013
thank you everyone for answering, now i just need to tell my dad this without him getting really angry at me.. i will try and see if i can buy a harness as well. happy
ReplyQuote

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
8 6 May 2013
Most vets agree, Its is unnecessary and cruel. Maybe get a vets opinion to prove to your dad!
happy
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
9 6 May 2013
Do a little research on damage to dogs throats from choker chains. You can train a dog not to pull by rewarding the correct behavior.

Youtube Kikopup, and go through her playlists and find the videos on loose leash walking.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/ This site may also be helpful. And maybe look up Gentle Leader.

I trained my dog not to pull using a mixture of kikopups methods. If your dogs like to play, I'd play a lot and try and wear them out before walks also, so they aren't so excited and keen to pull (though a lot of dogs will still pull just as much anyway lol)

But yes, Choker chains are cruel. Even Prong collars are said to be kinder, if used correctly. Also choker chains should be used correctly, and most people don't know how to use them correctly, which is why my trainer wasn't a huge fan of them for most owners.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
10 6 May 2013
Okay I'm going to brace myself and pray that I don't get too much hate for posting this. But I use check chains on all of my dogs, including fosters. And used correctly, they are a fantastic tool which in the case of my foster dogs, has saved lives.

Firstly, if you call them a "choker" chain, you're doing it wrong. Never, under any circumstances whatsoever should it EVER choke the dog. If you intend to let your dog walk in front of you, don't use a check chain. All of my dogs are expected to heel. The check chain is used to give them a sort sharp correction when they walk too far ahead. This is not cruel, and does not cause pain. It simply a means of communication, and it has been successful in helping me solve issues as bad as aggression in dogs.

If you don't know how to use the check chain properly, then just throw it in the bin. Because used incorrectly, it does do more harm than good. Did you know that there is a right and wrong way to put the check chain on? It is designed to be a correction collar, not a "choke" collar.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au