Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

For all creatures great and small?

Does the RSPCA actually help all animals

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  


Sol Sol NSW Posts: 26
1 9 May 2013
Hey Everyone
The RSPCA fundraiser the million paws walk is coming up soon and they have advertised they are having a sausage sizzle, and bacon and egg rolls.

This seems very hypocritical to me unless the RSPCA's new motto is
"for all creatures great and small, oh wait not farm animals because their for food"
And the funds from this bbq goes to helping animals in need (killing animals to help animals????)

What are your thoughts on this?

Also they have said all four legged owners and their two legged friends are invited.

I just might bring a pig.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
2 9 May 2013
I'll be going with my dog and my parents and their dog. Whether we actually pay, well I don't know.  The past ones haven't made you prove that you paid, and they can't stop you from walking if it's in a public park.
I want to go so my dogs can socialize.

Rspca does great work for pets, not farm animals. They promote barn laid eggs.... not free range, barn laid.

They get so much money though. Personally when I feel like helping out any shelters, I usually send a donation to the Animal Welfare League of Qld. It's where I got my first dog from, and I prefer donating to the smaller places. Plenty of people donate to the rspca. The most I'd really want to donate to them is food, that way I know where my money is going
ReplyQuote

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
3 9 May 2013
I dont think the RSPCA helps animals at all, so many are euthanized (perfectly good companions), for all the money they get the animals are in small concrete cages! The one near me Somersby is disgusting, always dirty, and so small and cold. Each dog gets 1 blanket and thats it. So sad! We adopted our first cat from the SE Melbourne shelter and there were about 50 cats in a 5 meter cage, we could barely fit in the cage to pick her up let alone spend time with them.

So disgusting how many donations from people, and profits from the pet food they sell and they can not have descent shelters.

I know AAPS is an amazing shelter, and its privately run, the cats are in home type rooms where there is beds, and chairs, and its warm inside too, so much nicer!!!! And they only get a small fraction of the funding!

I wont support anything RSPCA unless they pick up their act and stop wasting money on admin. Its about the animals - So I thought!!!
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
4 9 May 2013
Vegetus said:
I dont think the RSPCA helps animals at all, so many are euthanized (perfectly good companions), for all the money they get the animals are in small concrete cages! The one near me Somersby is disgusting, always dirty, and so small and cold. Each dog gets 1 blanket and thats it. So sad! We adopted our first cat from the SE Melbourne shelter and there were about 50 cats in a 5 meter cage, we could barely fit in the cage to pick her up let alone spend time with them.

So disgusting how many donations from people, and profits from the pet food they sell and they can not have descent shelters.

I know AAPS is an amazing shelter, and its privately run, the cats are in home type rooms where there is beds, and chairs, and its warm inside too, so much nicer!!!! And they only get a small fraction of the funding!

I wont support anything RSPCA unless they pick up their act and stop wasting money on admin. Its about the animals - So I thought!!!
The one near me is pretty good, but then again I live in a less populated area so that may have something to do with is.

Though I don't really like that they are all in cages outside, especially with how cold it is here right now. My mum got pissed at them one as they keep their chickens and roosters in a cage with a concrete floor, with only a few strands of hay. Considering all chickens usually want to do is scratch the ground, I would of thought they could get some hay in there. We live in a rural area, you can buy hay for very cheap.

I went to the hobart one, All the dogs were in and inside area, with outdoor runs, and all had beds with blankets and toys to play with. But it was in tasmania, and tassie's the best state (In my opinion... one day I want to live there tongue )

But yeah, not a company I'd like to support.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
5 9 May 2013
Sol said:
Hey Everyone
The RSPCA fundraiser the million paws walk is coming up soon and they have advertised they are having a sausage sizzle, and bacon and egg rolls.

This seems very hypocritical to me unless the RSPCA's new motto is
"for all creatures great and small, oh wait not farm animals because their for food"
And the funds from this bbq goes to helping animals in need (killing animals to help animals????)

What are your thoughts on this?

Also they have said all four legged owners and their two legged friends are invited.

I just might bring a pig.
Look what they are doing to Moorook Animal shelter. That's all I have to say.
ReplyQuote

Sara Smileyface Sara Smileyface VIC Posts: 29
6 10 May 2013
I emailed them about this.
This is the reply I got:
Thank you for your email. Just as the RSPCA respects the choices of people who dont consume meat or other animal products, we also respect those individuals who do choose to do so. The RSPCA is not a vegetarian or vegan organisation. We acknowledge that one way of reducing the suffering of animals in livestock production systems is by not purchasing products that are sourced from farm animals. Indeed, when some people become aware of the realities of large-scale animal farming, they choose to become vegetarian or vegan. We respect this choice. However, in the meantime, there are many more people who choose to ignore the suffering of farm animals or who choose to source products from animals farmed in a more humane manner. So, while ever the farming of animals for food and fibre continues, the RSPCA seeks to ensure that the conditions under which those animals live meet their physical and behavioural needs. The RSPCA believes we can help improve how farm animals are treated by getting involved in the process and constantly pushing for higher production standards along the supply chain. We do this at government, industry and producer level. The RSPCA encourages people who do consume meat, eggs, milk and other animal products to make a higher welfare choice, and to help them do this the RSPCA aims to ensure that higher welfare alternatives are readily available on the supermarket shelf. It is these higher welfare options that will be used at the sausage sizzles during our Million Paws Walk events.


I'm pretty pissed off, I mean, how are people going to get a push to become vegan or vegetarian when the RSPCA is giving them animal produce?
I seriously think they should do vegan catering, because a lot of meat eaters don't realize vegan food is tasty, and it won't be forcing people to go veg, just raising awareness and respecting the animals.
Will there even be a vegan alternative?
Not happy!
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
7 10 May 2013
Sara Smileyface said:
I emailed them about this.
This is the reply I got:
Thank you for your email. Just as the RSPCA respects the choices of people who dont consume meat or other animal products, we also respect those individuals who do choose to do so. The RSPCA is not a vegetarian or vegan organisation. We acknowledge that one way of reducing the suffering of animals in livestock production systems is by not purchasing products that are sourced from farm animals. Indeed, when some people become aware of the realities of large-scale animal farming, they choose to become vegetarian or vegan. We respect this choice. However, in the meantime, there are many more people who choose to ignore the suffering of farm animals or who choose to source products from animals farmed in a more humane manner. So, while ever the farming of animals for food and fibre continues, the RSPCA seeks to ensure that the conditions under which those animals live meet their physical and behavioural needs. The RSPCA believes we can help improve how farm animals are treated by getting involved in the process and constantly pushing for higher production standards along the supply chain. We do this at government, industry and producer level. The RSPCA encourages people who do consume meat, eggs, milk and other animal products to make a higher welfare choice, and to help them do this the RSPCA aims to ensure that higher welfare alternatives are readily available on the supermarket shelf. It is these higher welfare options that will be used at the sausage sizzles during our Million Paws Walk events.


I'm pretty pissed off, I mean, how are people going to get a push to become vegan or vegetarian when the RSPCA is giving them animal produce?
I seriously think they should do vegan catering, because a lot of meat eaters don't realize vegan food is tasty, and it won't be forcing people to go veg, just raising awareness and respecting the animals.
Will there even be a vegan alternative?
Not happy!
What a load of dribble that is from RSPCA.

All that preamble and blithering doesn't explain the fact that there is no need to serve "happy" meat or eggs at this particular event and they could just as easily serve anything else without animal products in it.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
8 10 May 2013
Sol said:
This seems very hypocritical to me unless the RSPCA's new motto is
"for all creatures great and small, oh wait not farm animals because their for food"
And the funds from this bbq goes to helping animals in need (killing animals to help animals????)
WTF. They seem like a bunch of hypocrites. Someone should make an awareness team for that.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
9 11 May 2013
RSPA is a non vegan, non vegetarian welfare organisation.
They attempt to improve the welfare of animals, domestic, wild and farmed.

If they boycotted meat they would be sending the message that it is not ok to eat meat. But they dont believe that. Most of their staff are most likely meat eaters.
Since they are meat eaters it's likely they eat meat for lunch.
So the staff will be helping dogs or whatever and at lunch time they eat their ham sandwich or whatever.
You can call hat hypocritical but we're all hypocrites.
But I'd rather be a hypocrite attempting to do good than a hypocrite who doesnt do any good
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
10 11 May 2013
Im personally not a big fan of the RSPCA for a number of different reasons. If the RSPCA was truly for "all creatures great and small" they wouldn't be serving Sausages, bacon and egg rolls at the millions paws walk, insted they could be serving meat and dairy free food but chose not to. Having such a big event to raise funds to stop animal abuse would create a great oppitunity to serve cruelty free options and raise awareness as there seems to always be a large turn out to this particular event but insted they chose to serve meat products which contradicts the reason for raising the funds in the first place.   confused
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au